“Good Break from Chain Restaurants -- Authentic!”

Mekong Authentic Vietnamese Cuisine
Ranked #13 of 187 Restaurants in Sandusky
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were happy to escape the clutches of chain restaurants surrounding the waterparks and amusement parks in NW Ohio. The experience here lived up to and even exceeded our expectations based on the good reviews. You won't be disappointed here if you favor Asian cuisines.

First, I have been to Vietnam and numerous other SE Asian countries several times over the past couple of years as a tourist, so I have some experience with the cuisine. Although Vietnamese food tends to look like Chinese food, the flavors are much more subtle probably due to the influence of the French for so many years.

My food was freshly prepared, tasty, and absolutely NOT greasy at all. I had the vegetable springs rolls and my entree was fried noodles (thin noodles like angel hair pasta but better) with veggies and some small pieces of pork served with a bit of broth on it to soften the noodles.. It was fresh and luscious. Portions were adequate, but not large.

Service was very nice and this restaurant has tablecloth service, which makes it feel a bit more upscale than the local chain restaurants. They have a HUGE selection of beer, but I had wine and it was reasonably priced. In fact, everything here was reasonably priced.

The owner came to chat with us and was very happy to hear we had been to his country. He was very welcoming.

2  Thank Ortlinde
There are newer reviews for Mekong Authentic Vietnamese Cuisine

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a wonderful surprise. We had traveled in Vietnam about a year and half ago and enjoyed the Vietnamese cuisine while there. Well, we can categorically assert the Vietnamese food we tried is authentic. All four items we ordered were the genuine article from their spicy hot and sour soup to the very lightly fried spring tools to their crispy noodles with chicken and their soft noodles with pork. The service was very friendly and fast. Prices were very reasonable.

While there we met the owner, Mr. Ching, and exchanged notes from our trip to Southern Vietnam. It was a short but delightful visit.

We will be back.

1  Thank MojaveMax
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I tried it mid day on a Saturday, so there was no wait. We wanted to try something different and both us were pleasantly surprised at the quality and taste of the food. This could be our new favorite place. We enjoyed the steamed spring rolls and our dinners. She had a chicken and vegetable dish while I had the flat fried rice noodles with beef. Very good!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have dined here many times and give both food and service 2 thumbs up. My husband raves about the beer list. More often, though, we order take out and have wine at home. I don't know how they do it, but the order is always ready in 10 minutes. The seafood with vegetables and brown sauce is delicious.

1  Thank sailor1101
Reviewed 9 July 2014

(actually reviewed by my wife) Staff didn't seem very friendly. I almost felt nervous about asking questions, and having never tried Vietnamese food, I had a few of them. Food was fine, but not outstanding compared to other Asian food I've had. The heavy emphasis on beer was weird for this sort of place.