“Terrible reflection on cedar fair companies”

Castaway Bay Waterpark
Ranked #8 of 38 things to do in Sandusky
More attraction details
Owner description: This resort features the largest indoor waterpark in Ohio.
Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Terrible reflection on cedar fair companies”
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

A group of 9 of us went 3/1/14 (4 adults, 5 kids). We all booked family fun pack which was not cheap. It started off ok, was able to get our room a bit earlier then expected. Once we got to the waterpark, the smell of chlorine was so strong my eyes started burning. we swam for 4 hours, then went to dinner with our "kids eat free" coupons for the adjoining TGIF Fridays. There are so many stipulations with this, that at the end, I didn't even know what I could eat. TGIF Fridays kept blaming castaway bay & visa-versa. The kids were starving and the poor waitress got so frustrated with our questions and her not knowing the answers, she just left! Later that night, 3 of the 5 kids broke out in a terrible rash and burning/itching. I can only assume that the extreme levels of chemicals in the water and hot tub caused this. The next day I also noticed that the finish on my "stamped" 14k white gold ring turned black. So between allergic reactions, running to the store at midnight for Benadryl, a ruined ring, and confrontational dinner- I would strongly suggest you choose one of the many other waterparks in the area. I'm especially concerned for all the infants I saw at castaway. If (2) 9 year olds and an 11 yr old broke out due to I'll-managed chemicals in the water, what could it do to an infant's skin. I welcome the GM at castaway bay or director of customer relations to contact me for additional details on this experience before someone gets seriously ill.

Visited March 2014
7 Thank Andi W

Whitby, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great time.”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

My family consisting of my wife, my 7 year old daughter, my 9 year old son, and myself all had a great stay during the Christmas break. The rooms were clean, the waterpark was great for everyone in my family, the food at the buffet was good, the service was great. After reading some of the reviews I was a bit hesitant but after the first 15 minutes after arriving my hesitations were gone. We stayed in a starfish room, it was on the small side but we were not there very often, spending a lot of time in the waterpark, arcade, and a visit to Cleveland. It is an hour away from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, which was a great experience.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Graeme W
Wadsworth, Ohio
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A little on the small side, but lots of fun”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This place could use a bit of an expansion, because it seems that you run out of things to do rather quickly, if you're only going for the water park. There are plenty of other things to do around the resort like restaurants and some shopping, but I'd like to see a Lazy River and a swim up bar for the adults.

Visited October 2013
Cadiz, Ohio, United States
“Great for the youngsters!”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My family and I went to Castaway Bay just 4 days ago. We stayed in the Tarpon Suite (HIGHLY recommended.. the Starfish rooms SUCK) and they had 2 flat screen TV's, a microwave, coffee maker, and a huge bathroom. The room was 5 stars. The waterpark was kind of small, I guess I was expecting something bigger. It was fun and my family had a blast so that's all that counts. The lifeguards were active and alert at all times. Food is pricey- I don't suggest eating at the TGI Friday's that is connected (Family of 4 and it costs us $74 + tip) WOW. Bring your own food! Overall, this place was a great get-away and had a beautiful view. Right down the road from Cedar Point.

Visited October 2013
Warren, Ohio
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Smaller park great for kids”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

It's no Kalahari but its does the job!!! It's smaller but still has water slides, wave pool and a kid section. Not to mention an arcade. Not bad for small kids and a fraction of the cost. My room was clean and the staff is nice. It's right besides cedar point so you can stay there and go to the amusement park.

Visited April 2013