“Fun for all ages”

Castaway Bay Waterpark
Ranked #7 of 37 things to do in Sandusky
More attraction details
Owner description: This resort features the largest indoor waterpark in Ohio.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed for two nights on April 4th and 5th. It was a lot of fun as we have teenage children and they had a lot of fun as they could venture out on their own as it is not a huge facility. The water park is great and the lines were not that long. The arcade can get costly and I would recommend setting a budget for extras such as that. My favorite was the wave pool and the indoor/outdoor hot tub. My only complaint would be the size of the beds. They were a double bed and very short as I am 6'4" and my feet and lower legs hung off the bed quite a bit. They were also very firm and you woke up sore. I would recommend for the money it costs to stay there that the beds be upgraded to queen size in all rooms and less firm. Overall we had a great visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We decided to visit on Saturday, March 29th. It was a very packed park. The temperature in the park was very comfortable as was the temperature of the water. The one thing we all agreed on was the water was very heavily chlorinated. One of the slides was not open. I couldn't believe how crowded this place was. Long lines for all water slide attractions including a long line to get into the large hot tub. We decided to eat at the snack shop and purchase a large pizza. It was the greasiest pizza we've ever had. Service was slow. Pizza was undercooked. We put our towels on chairs to reserve. Out of the four towels we brought with us to the water park, we left with only ONE towel. People had no regard if you reserved a chair or not.
There were no electrical outlets in the women's locker room area to blow dry your hair. Was very surprised.
Shocked at how much they charge for lockers as well.
Overall disappointed with our visit to Castaway Bay Waterpark!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My (under age 8) boys really enjoyed this hotel and waterpark, and we liked that its reasonable size makes it easy to keep an eye on them. That is, Kalahari is great but someone always has to be following the little kids very closely because it's huge and they can get lost. While they are small, this place is nice because it's slightly easier to keep track of them and grown ups can even sit on the sidelines comfortably and let kids play. The hot tub is wonderful and they let kids in, which is great. Consider not buying the activities and food add-on package- the activities did not run on time and really weren't worth it, and the poolside pizza is fairly gross so it's best to leave or get carry out from somewhere else.

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

A friend and I brought our 2yr olds overnight for a mini getaway. It was perfect! We had the Starfish room, simple and had all we needed- microwave and fridge included. Water park was perfect for them, it wasn't overwhelmingly huge but had enough things to keep 2 busy 2yr olds from being bored. They loved the hot tub, the slides, and the wave pool. Food was ok but as expected at a resort/ park. We know for next time we can being our own food to eat there. Pizza and drinks was pretty much the standard. They had TGI Fridays connected to the resort which was great we didn't have to drive around and us moms could relax with food and a drink with our kids. The kids had a blast and slept the whole way home. We will definitely plan a trip In the future.

1  Thank BusyMakingMemories
Reviewed 3 March 2014

A group of 9 of us went 3/1/14 (4 adults, 5 kids). We all booked family fun pack which was not cheap. It started off ok, was able to get our room a bit earlier then expected. Once we got to the waterpark, the smell of chlorine was so strong my eyes started burning. we swam for 4 hours, then went to dinner with our "kids eat free" coupons for the adjoining TGIF Fridays. There are so many stipulations with this, that at the end, I didn't even know what I could eat. TGIF Fridays kept blaming castaway bay & visa-versa. The kids were starving and the poor waitress got so frustrated with our questions and her not knowing the answers, she just left! Later that night, 3 of the 5 kids broke out in a terrible rash and burning/itching. I can only assume that the extreme levels of chemicals in the water and hot tub caused this. The next day I also noticed that the finish on my "stamped" 14k white gold ring turned black. So between allergic reactions, running to the store at midnight for Benadryl, a ruined ring, and confrontational dinner- I would strongly suggest you choose one of the many other waterparks in the area. I'm especially concerned for all the infants I saw at castaway. If (2) 9 year olds and an 11 yr old broke out due to I'll-managed chemicals in the water, what could it do to an infant's skin. I welcome the GM at castaway bay or director of customer relations to contact me for additional details on this experience before someone gets seriously ill.

7  Thank Andi W