“Will Not Be Returning Here”

Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 30 August 2011

1st room was not cleaned from prior guests, put us in a 2nd rm it had dried french fries on the floor, dirty towels sat in "therepy" pool both days we visited. I left a pair of sunglasses on the bed and didnt realize it until we left. We I called to ask about them I was promised a phone call back...its been 3 weeks...and they have my sunglasses. The parking lot was severly littered with cigarette butts. When we booked, listing said "suite" and pull out sofa. The room was neither. We booked through a travel website and prepaid and then the hotel charged us as well..errrrr...enough said...

1  Thank Jodi D

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Considering this hotel is ranked #2 in Sandusky and had some great reviews I think we went in with higher expectations. The service at the front desk was not great. We encountered three different people who were not friendly or helpful.

Our room was quite run down. We were on the first floor and the sheets had stains on them, the carpet had stains on it and the couch was falling apart. However, the bathroom was quite clean. Sleeping was difficult. We were two couples sharing a room so we had no choice but to take two double beds (no queens) and they were small. Also it took us about 10 minutes to figure out how to turn on the shower, I had to get dressed and head to front desk to ask someone because we were not getting an answer from calling the front desk via phone. I would ask them to demonstrate to you upon check in how to work the shower because they do have a replica available to show you.

We were most disappointed with the breakfast provided. The area that contained the food was a disaster. There did not seem to be anyone up-keeping it throughout the morning. It just seemed so unsanitary and my husband was sick all day after eating the waffles.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SJB2011
Reviewed 27 August 2011

This hotel was very easy to find not far off of the Ohio Turnpike. Access to town was simple as the main road in front of the location takes you right into Sandusky. The staff seemed friendly and willing to anwesr any questions asked of them. The room was clean had a average sized flat screen t.v. a desk, small refrigerator, and a microwave. A small closet with an in wall safe was also included. The beds, for me I have not slept on a more uncomfortable mattress, perhaps my home mattree spoils me but these were like something that a prisoner would relax in. I found it very difficult to sleep due to them. This is the only down side and maybe a personal preference so dont let this stop you from staying here. Road noise was not a problem and the room a/c worked fine The bathroom was very nice, seemed newly redone, there is a large jacuzzi pool in the basement of the hotel next to the exercise room. It shares a pool with the hotel right nextdoor so that is another option if the jacuzzi isnt for you. .

Room Tip: My room was on the third floor facing the back of the building
1  Thank matrix8981
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Stayed at the Best Western Sandusky for my daughters' birthday trip to Cedar Point. THe hotel was clean. Bathrooms were very nice. Service was also very good, one a the girls traveling with us called for conditioner and it arrived moments later. The Suite was two separate rooms, making it comfortable for my wife and I to stay in one and the kids in the other.. It is further away from Cedar Point than I would like, but worth it. Most of the hotels by the park are dirty or very expensive.
Another plus is there are restaurants and shopping in the area.

2  Thank DIsneyHell
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Stayed here with wife and 2 kids 7 and 10. Have stayed in other hotels in Sandusky this one by far was the cleanest, and cost was about the same. Kids used the pool next door and the small leisure pool in the basement Free breakfast was nothing special but could always find something to fill up on. Fridge in room was handy, overall good value for the money.

2  Thank raiderace81
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We spent 2 nights here to visit Cedar Point. The hotel is in a convenient location and was clean for the most part. We had a 2 room suite that worked well for our family of 5. The beds were very comfortable, but if you have a room on the highway side of the hotel, there will be noise. The breakfast was severely lacking and the breakfast room was too small to accomodate many guests.

Overall though, it was a nice stay and was very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My friend and I went to Sandusky to go to Cedar Point (well, why else would you?). It's a bit of a schlep--10-15 minute drive. The room is clean and comfortable. It includes a sofa and a flat screen TV on a swivel, so though it naturally faces the beds, it can turn to face the sofa. Nice sized fridge and a freezer that could fit our ice paks and a Ben and Jerry's small ice cream container...mmm...ice cream.
The washroom is clean (they make a triangular shape out of the toilet paper rolls that are hanging (even when they cleaned our room between the first and second night) so attention to detail was nice. The bathroom had two lights. One that included the fan and a little light (nice for late night trips) and a regular light. The shower is difficult to figure out, even after having it described by the front desk to me. My friend finally figured it out. On the faucet, where the water comes out for the bath, right where the water comes out, you pull down on the metal and the water switches to the shower head.
The bathroom looks industrial not at all homey, though there were lots of towels provided.
The breakfast had some variety--make your own waffles, jams, orange and apple juice, 2-3 cereals in serving containers as well as bread and a toaster.
I think I'd bring more friends next time and stay in one of the expensive hotels on the Cedar Point property so that we could get discounts even better than those offered on the Cedar Point website to off-property visitors.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends