“wonderful hotel”

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Albany, New York
“wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We stayed one night and everything was great. The bed, bathroom, linens, breakfast, lobby, pool, etc. were without fault. All areas were very clean and the desk person was attentive and helpful. The breakfast was better than most continental, more of a full breakfast with hot choices.
We had no complaints. I cannot understand why AAA gave it only 2 stars as it was a very high end 3 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My husband and I have been making the trip for the last 6 years to visit Halloweekends in October. Every year we have experienced awful hotels. From rooms that smell like pee, cancelled reservations, rooms above sliding glass doors that shake the walls, drunks on a beer cooler outside of our door, someone trying to break into our room, bed bugs... we've experienced it all in the past 6 years! It had gotten to the point last year that we just decided to go home at 2 am when we finally got out of the Cedar Point parking lot. This year we thought we would give it one more try and decided to stay at the Best Western Plus in Sandusky; we were not disappointed! It was absolutely fantastic! The lobby was clean, the clerk attentive and polite, and check in was quick. We got to the room and it was beautfiul! It was updated, quiet and the bed was perfect (not too hard, not too soft). I am huge on the cleanliness and smell of a hotel and I had absolutely no complaints. Everything was perfect. Also, we liked that the hotel wasn't right in the middle of all the Cedar Point traffic. Although it is on a main street, it is not crowded by all the park families and noise. I think the fact that the hotel is a little bit pricier (but well worth it) keeps some of the larger familis away and it cuts down on the noise. We were definitely able to relax and unwind! My husband and I almost decided to stay another night, but we had to get back to work :o( Honestly, we will definitely stay here again and we will recommend this hotel to others.

2 Thank kristen820
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed there in October of 2011 for a Saturday and Sunday night to attend Cedar Point Amusement Park that Sunday.

Conclusion: A nice place; I would stay there again. It's just a little nicer than a Hilton Garden Plaza Inn.

Details follow.

Location: Easy to get to. Easy driving to the park. Doesn't look like a bad area of town. Comfort Inn with a dance club next door one way, and Manny's bar next door (almost) the other way, which has good bar food; nice place.

Lobby and Common Areas: Well appointed decorations, nice tile work, new carpets, large lobby, decent breakfast (included). Decent = coffee, milk, cereal, hard-boiled eggs, waffle maker, biscuits and grave, etc. The pool in the basement was supposed to be a large hot tub, but really it was a little cool and only one jet worked.

Room: Perfect. Marble bathroom, fancy pillows, triple sheeting. Fridge, microwave, etc.

Service: Front desk staff were great. No maid service the first day, but before checking out that morning the maid knocked three times. Hmmm...

Reservation ease: The website put me in an infinite loop of typing in my information again and again saying the rates had changed. I had to call. And yes, they had changed.... for one of the days, they went up by $40 from the offered price, when I don't know. Apparently the best western website is not well integrated with the hotel's own system. I understand, but it does smack a bit of "bait and switch". I think we got the last hotel room in Sandusky that wasn't a dive.

As far as I can determine, the resorts in Sandusky are very nice, but if you want a normal hotel that's a little nicer and quieter than average, this hotel is the only game in town.

Room Tip: If the mega-sites say it's booked up, I suggest going to http://www.bestwestern.com/ or calling...
Union City, Ohio
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The Hotel was very clean, loby attractive, entrance attractive, gave appearance of a high end hotel. Staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I stayed at the Best Western Plus for a convention that was at the Kalahari Resort. While the resort is great for families....I prefer a quieter, less active hotel for sleeping and some work time so chose the BW Plus Sandusky. Very nice decor. Large rooms. Very nice amenities. Check in was a breeze. Clean, quiet, close to everything. Would highly recommend this hotel if you don't need a huge water park connected to it!

Breakfast was ok....waffles, biscuits & gravy, coffee, juice, toast, cereal, yogurt. Not bad considering it is included in the room price.

Overall I truly enjoyed my stay here. Would return if business calls me to Sandusky again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelNut70
Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed 1 October 2011

The hotel was perfect for what we wanted. It was a great price, had a microwave and decent size refrigerator. It was clean. Most of the staff went out of their way to be friendly. We had our 15 month old son with us and due to his nap schedule, housekeeping couldn't always come in but they were always willing to take our trash and replace our towels. Khadijah, the housekeeper, was very friendly and helpful and never seemed bothered when my son was running the halls if he needed a little more freedom. We would definatly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Jessica A
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I was there September 23-26. Check-in was no problem. The guy at the desk had a bathtub faucet & showed me how it works. ( I guess because soo many other people complained about not knowing how it worked, even tho the directions are printed right above the faucet!!) The room was nice. The first night, it was me & my Granddaughter & she had a blast getting ice, running to the bed to eat it, getting off the bed for more ice, & repeating for about half an hour!! (She's 16 months.) The next night, her mom & dad stayed. The breakfast was good, not crowded at all!! As a matter of fact, all 3 mornings that I was there it wasn't crowded!! Waffles were good, the people taking care of the breakfast room were friendly, even tho some people are really rude to them!! We were there for Halloweekends & this hotel was perfect for us!! Also, the fridge was a good size!! The only negative was the pizza guy knocking on the door at midnight!! LOL!! But, that wasn't the hotels fault.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family