Wow! I am SO glad we didn't cancel after reading the negative reviews. I am a really picky traveler and began to panic after reading the reviews. We had a great experience keeping in mind we were at a gigantic waterpark hotel!
We arrived at 6pm and walked right up, checked in, went to the room and were in the waterpark within 20 minutes. The park didn't close until 10:00 so we had plenty of time to enjoy all of the rides. The hotel was booked to capacity, but we waited no more than 5-10 minutes for the most popular slides and less than 5 minutes for most. Quite frankly going up the stairs, you are a bit glad to rest while waiting. The staff that we encountered at check in as well as in the park were polite and prompt. I wouldn't call us family, but I didn't feel anyone was rude.
The water park was relatively warm and the water temp was also great. I have a son with no body fat who usually freezes at these places and he never complained in 3 days. There are plenty of places to sit and relax. Yes the food in the park is a bit pricey but what would you expect from a theme park? I haven't been to one that doesn't sell water for 2 or more dollars. PLAN AHEAD! Bring a beach bag with your own snacks and water. Or keep it in your room. This worked great for us. The rooms aren't that far from the park.
The food in the hotel restaurants was good and priced at what I would expect for a hotel rest. Lots of people went and came back with McDonalds from down the street if you don't want to pay the higher prices.
We were in a Nomad room. It was very nice, looked brand new, and was very clean. I had to call housekeeping to get an extra blanket and it arrived in 20-25 min. Not a big deal.
We had a great time and will definately be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kalahari Resorts Sandusky provides water parks, Safari Outdoor Adventure Park, indoor/outdoor water park, catering/wedding facilities, spa, salon, fitness training in fitness center, dining options, and more.Over 850 beautifully appointed authentic African-themed guest rooms and suites offer coffeemaker, vacation sized refrigerator, microwave, free high speed Internet access, voice mail, TV, iron/ironing board, in-room safe, pay per view movies, and much more. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Kalahari Waterpark Resort
- Kalahari Hotel Ohio
- Kalahari Waterpark Sandusky
- Kalahari Resort Sandusky Oh
- Kalahari Waterpark Hotel Sandusky
- Kalahari Water Park
- Kalahari Resorts & Conventions Sandusky, Ohio