“Great Time, Glad I didn't cancel based on reviews!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great Time, Glad I didn't cancel based on reviews!”
Reviewed 20 February 2008

Wow! I am SO glad we didn't cancel after reading the negative reviews. I am a really picky traveler and began to panic after reading the reviews. We had a great experience keeping in mind we were at a gigantic waterpark hotel!

We arrived at 6pm and walked right up, checked in, went to the room and were in the waterpark within 20 minutes. The park didn't close until 10:00 so we had plenty of time to enjoy all of the rides. The hotel was booked to capacity, but we waited no more than 5-10 minutes for the most popular slides and less than 5 minutes for most. Quite frankly going up the stairs, you are a bit glad to rest while waiting. The staff that we encountered at check in as well as in the park were polite and prompt. I wouldn't call us family, but I didn't feel anyone was rude.

The water park was relatively warm and the water temp was also great. I have a son with no body fat who usually freezes at these places and he never complained in 3 days. There are plenty of places to sit and relax. Yes the food in the park is a bit pricey but what would you expect from a theme park? I haven't been to one that doesn't sell water for 2 or more dollars. PLAN AHEAD! Bring a beach bag with your own snacks and water. Or keep it in your room. This worked great for us. The rooms aren't that far from the park.

The food in the hotel restaurants was good and priced at what I would expect for a hotel rest. Lots of people went and came back with McDonalds from down the street if you don't want to pay the higher prices.

We were in a Nomad room. It was very nice, looked brand new, and was very clean. I had to call housekeeping to get an extra blanket and it arrived in 20-25 min. Not a big deal.

We had a great time and will definately be back!

• Liked — Great waterpark!
  • Disliked — Distance from home
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 19 February 2008

This was our first visit and it was absolutely fantastic! For 3 nights we got to escape the winter and at least pretend it was warm out.

My husband, and boys age 10 and 12 and I had a great time and didn't see any of the problems mentioned in some of these reviews.

Our room was clean, all furniture was in very good shape, the bath towels were very large and soft (better than towels at fancier hotels). We checked in on a Monday at 3:45 pm and had a 5 minute wait. The rate I had been quoted when I booked was different than when I checked in, and the front desk clerk was very helpful and corrected it for me.

The waterpark was amazing, all the staff we encountered were friendly and seemed to be paying attention to their jobs. My boys signed up for surfing lessons before and after the park opened (free with our package) and the two people who taught it were wonderful with them. They seemed to really enjoy their jobs. The lines weren't bad, the longest line was for the zip coaster but it was still under 20 minutes. Only criticism for that would be I think they could have run two "cars" on it, and the line would have been faster.

I didn't think the food was too bad, Breakfast buffet was $38 for the 4 of us. I didn't think that was bad for a resort. We spent much more on that at Disney that is for sure!

Kahunaville food was very good, entrees were about $14 on average, per person, which again didn't seem that bad. There are plenty of restuarants nearby if you don't want to pay the prices there, or you can bring food with you.

We loved the candy hut, had so much fun getting dessert after dinner and then watching an in room movie eating it after spending the day in the water.

We are already planning on going back next winter for another winter escape!

• Liked — Water Park
  • Disliked — Internet access was slow
Macomb, MI
Reviewed 18 February 2008

We spent 2 nights at Kalahari Resort last week for our children's winter break from school. This was our second trip to the resort, we went the first summer right after it opened. The hotel is very clean, and our room was very clean, also. Check in was very prompt and the staff was very courteous. We were able to check into our room at 12noon, which was nice. The water park addition was awesome, and there was plenty for people of all ages. There is plenty of seating available in both the new and old sections, which is great for families. The new cabanas, available to rent, were large and in great locations. The new water slides, include a family sized raft bowl ride, and a single body bowl slide. Both of those slides, were fast and exciting, great for thrill seeking. The Cheetah Race slides, in which 4 people can race at one time on blue mats, were fun and fast. The wave pool is large with plenty of room for people that love to ride the very large waves. The new children's area had slides and swings for children of all ages, including some for the very young. Clean, fresh towels are provided, and are placed in convenient locations.
All of the staff I encountered were very courteous. The only negative comment I have is that the pizza we had 2 nights as part of our package, was not good. I now know what cardboard tastes like. Luckily, we had packed extra food to heat up in the microwave in our room.
Overall, we had a great stay, and will be back soon!

• Liked — Lots of Great Water Slides
  • Disliked — The Pizza
1 Thank lsdfarrell
Detroit
Reviewed 18 February 2008

Broken furniture, filty bathroom, feces and blood on the tub, dirty dishes in the dish washer, no linens for the fold out, even tho they knew 4 adults would be in the lodge, not enough towels, filthy locker room (surprise!! keep 10 dollars handy to rent a locker, police were taking a statement from some kids with day passes that didn't know) , rude staff, unresponsive management ( I have placed 7 calls to the resort regarding our stay) apparently everyone has attended the class regarding diffusing and pacification...Disney doesn't charge this much for food...spend your money elsewhere!

• Liked — water park
  • Disliked — hotel accommodations
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank convenienttravler
Michigan
Reviewed 13 February 2008

Don't believe any of the bad things you hear about Kalahari. We have been there after the remodel and it was wonderful. The water is plenty warm. The food isn't overly priced, but it's not cheap. Plan ahead or go to Wal-Mart two miles to the east and get some items to cut down. Try to take breakfast and lunch stuff and keep it in the fridge in your room. Also bring your own candy and sweets so the kids don't spend all your money at the Candy Hut, very overpriced but it has some good stuff. Take a lot of drinks and for Dad bring your own beer, because they sell singles for about 4.50 there. Food at Kahunaville is awesome. Try to do the choose your own adventure and get either the tokens or the pizza deal. The pizza is worth 24.95 you get 4 20 oz bottles of pop and a big pizza (and it's not half bad). Or do the tokens because they strategically placed the game room on the way to the waterpark. We had a great time and hated to leave. Staff was beyond friendly, room was very clean. Go midweek and ask for a late checkout. We were able to keep our room until 1pm and enjoyed the waterpark all morning, showered, then hit the game room for a while before we left. Our trip was perfect thanks to this website and the reviews.

• Liked — Waterpark was amazing.
  • Disliked — Can't say anything bad
3 Thank BubbasCrazy
toledo, ohio
Reviewed 9 February 2008

We loved this place. It was clean, Staff was very accomodating and friendly. The hotel itself is beautiful, all decked out in African decor. The waterpark was the funnest place we have ever been. We will definately be back this summer when the outdoor part is open. I did not think the prices were to bad either, some people did, I could not find a single thing to complain about. I think the trick is to go during the week, rates are cheaper and there are not as many people there.

1 Thank bobbij1079
Flint, MI
Reviewed 6 February 2008

My husband and I booked two nights at the Kalahari, and we were blown away. We had a "Hut two night special" package for $249. When we checked in, we asked about upgrading our room, and the really nice receptionist offered to give us a suite for $30 extra per night. It was way worth it, as the new room had a full kitchen, two TVs, whirlpool bath, and separate bedroom. The room was very clean and ready at 1:30 when we arrived (check-in was supposed to be at 4:00).

The water park was great, some of the lines were kind of long (mainly the family tube ride and the flow riders), but other slides had no wait.

They had a very nice selection of slides: body slides, two large family raft slides, a raft slide where you go into the sort of "toilet bowl", racing slides where you use mats, a lazy river, wave pool, adults only indoor/outdoor spa, all ages spa, kids water play area, water basketball...

The water in the pools and lazy river was warm, but a few of the slides' water seemed pretty cold. Not too bad though. The indoor/outdoor spa was really cool, being outside in February was a neat experience. The mixed drinks were steep ($8 for a Mudslide), but getting a drink from a "swim-up" bar was something I always wanted to do.

We ate at Kahunaville, and the food was really good. My husband got a steak, which he was impressed with. It was pretty expensive, but not more than we expected (we actually paid more to eat at a Rainforest Cafe the few days prior). There are alot of good places north on Route 250 if you want cheaper food (I suggest Chett and Matt's on Strubb Road, really good pizza!).

My husband signed up for the 1.5 hour flow rider lesson. It was REALLY worth it, since he was the only one who signed up, so it was one-on-one for a loong time. The instructor, Matt, was awesome. He says that most Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning lesson sessions have very few people, so definately look into it. It is kind of early (we had to be there at 7:10am), but being in the empty water park for an hour and a half trying out the Flow Rider was the best value of the trip for us. I got to go in too and take pictures.

We will definately be going back. Probably in the next few months. If you get a chance, go to the Candy Hut and buy some chocolate covered strawberries. They are INCREDIBLE, and worth the $2 each.

• Liked — Water park, room, everything under one roof
  • Disliked — Kind of expensive
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple