“Girls Getaway”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Upon arriving at Kalahari we were greeted by the very enthusiastic Todd. Check in was quick and gave us all the needed information. We have stayed at Kalahari for the past 6 years for a night or two right before Thanksgiving and have always had great service. This year though they seemed to really step it up. From the maintenance who arrived in 5 minutes to help with a TV that wouldn't turn on, to the in room pizza delivery to the young man helping kids ride the Flowrider. It was an awesome time for the 6 of us. We did the Create Your Own Adventure and upgraded our room to the African Queen Suite. Best room for a group of adults and kids. Everyone has a little extra space and plenty of beds. We will definitely be back again next year!

Room Tip: The African Queen Suite is great for families - especially if you have more than 1 family traveling...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

We just love it! Thank you so much for visiting time and again. Certainly our pleasure to have you! I would love the opportunity to learn a little bit more about your stay. If you wouldn't mind emailing me your contact info to KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com, I would love to get a little extra info about those great instance you encountered and share with our team. We love the feedback and certainly love having you as our guest year after year. Hope to hear from you soon!

There are newer reviews for Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

Reviewed 29 November 2013

The resort is fantastic - rooms are necessarily elegant but you aren't there for the rooms when with kids. You are there for the park and activities. The indoor waterpark is best we've been too. Our kids are 3 & 6 and there was ample places for them to be for a 2 night stay. Highly recommend visiting during the week (we stayed Sun night to Tuesday noon) and had minimal wait if any for slides. The flip side is that due to the resort not being very full some slides were closed and some activities were not present which was a bit disappointing. We were given free cookies due to the cookie decorating not taken place even though website says every day in November there will be cookie decorating for kids. The kids really enjoyed the tree top dry play area just be sure to take socks and if your kid is small you'll have to be in there as well with socks. Would for sure recommend and hope to return. Just remember if you visit for a weekend you'll get more activities but much longer lines and crowds. Breakfast buffet was good and dinner at reserve was good as well. The pizza is hand tossed and baked to order and was good.

Room Tip: you most likely will have to walk a ways from wherever you are.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Overall, it sounds like you had a great trip! So wonderful to hear! Thank you for sharing. My favorite time is during the week too when you can have your run of the place. I'm glad that we were able to at least get you some cookies. I am sorry that they missed out on decorating their own. Hopefully when you return it works out. Thank you for letting us know. Hopefully we will see you again soon! Take care!

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Upon arriving we were greeted by the ever so friendly Herb the bellhop who graciously offered information regarding dining, the best rides and other fun things to do at the resort as well as entertaining my children with a few jokes. It was a great way to start our wonderful night's stay at the resort! Great Job Herb!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

The family and I recently stayed at Kalahari. I felt like I was a kid again! The place has a great energy to it. I was very impressed with the staff. They were very helpful and kind. My daughters had a blast at the Waterpark. The only downside are the towels. They are quite small and you need a few to dry yourself off. The rooms were top notch. We had two queen beds and a pullout sofa. Perfect for a family of four or five. I was very impressed with how clean they keep the resort. If you are looking for a great family value look no further!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

We simply loved having you! Thank you so much for taking a moment to review our resort and coming to visit us! Allowing you to feel like a kid again is what we do best! Awesome to hear! I will be sure to pass along your thoughts on the towels too. We truly appreciate all the feedback and we can't wait to see you again soon! Take care and thank you!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

From the moment we checked in, Kalahari Waterpark was different from our other waterpark experiences. The property looked new, with all types of services and a simple layout that was easy to navigate from the desk to the parking lot to all the fun. There were so many details in the decor and the services provided that it held par with premium amusement park experiences.
Every employee went out of their way to make us comfortable, to answer all our questions, and seemed geniunely happy to be working there. We arrived in time for dinner, and went to the "sit down" restaurant - the food was very good, plentiful and reasonably priced - so different from other waterpark resorts! But the true differentiator - the DJ came over, sat down and welcomed us - asked how he could help make our stay more pleasant, even walked my kids to the restroom!
The lifeguards at the different slides were just as kind - sharing their knowledge of the rides, the "sister" park in Wisconsin Dells, and engaged us during our short waits for the huge tubes that would take us down some seriously fun adventures.
We had a mishap after just 10 minutes in the park - a bloody nose - and we had 2 lifeguards at our side, calm and reassuring as they helped my daugther stop bleeding and recover to enjoy the rest of our stay. Very impressive for young employees.
Our room was clean, quiet and well-appointed (microwave, refrigerator, lots of room).
We forgot to pack a brush (three girls, without a hair management tool - gasp!) and only paid $3 in the 24-hour store. That's right, $3 - less than what I'd pay at home.
I got my favorite tea at the coffee shop from an attentive, pleasant server who shared an extra type of tea the store was not using anymore.
Our buffet breakfast was again remarkably pleasant, high-quality and reasonably priced.
This first trip of ours was arranged by our school PTA, with very appealing discounted rates - and we could not have had better treatment, even at the bargain prices we paid.

Thank you Kalahari, for a quality family experience - from every aspect of the stay. I'm not sure we can go back to any other waterpark now - nor do we want to!

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My family just stayed 3 days two nights in Sandusky location. Ann at the front desk is the best!! Great deal for the BOGO. Entire place was clean, and the staff were wonderful. Waterpark is Awesome! They upgraded our room to an African Queen Suite! This is the best layout with our two boys. We had a king bed and whirlpool bath and they had their own room with two queen beds and their own T.V. Fireplace was wonderful in the living room as well as the large T.V. We are return guests and have never been disappointed! Can't wait to go back! Kalahari Rocks!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you so much for sharing! Your review brought a smile to my face and I can't thank you enough for sharing! I'm thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of a BOGO deal. Those are the best! Looking forward to seeing the family again soon. Take care and thank you!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was my family's 3rd trip to Kalahari. We really love everything about it. The waterpark is great fun for the kids and adults. My kids love all the water slides. The water temperature is always great , especially in the hot tubs.=) Our rooms have always been extremely clean and would pass anyone's "white glove test." The staff is more than courteous. They are extremely helpful and kind and go out of their way to make sure your stay is great. The food is absolutely delicious. We've eaten at The Great Karoo and The Reserve and the food was great. The breakfast buffet at the Great Karoo is sooooo good! The Candy Hut and Java Manjaro have some really great treats. My family always takes home the specialty apples as well as many other sweets. The arcade is really fun as well. Once the waterpark closes for the night, we always go to the arcade so the kids can have some more fun. Overall, Kalahari is absolutely superb and we'll be going back many, many times (and if my kids have any say, we'll be moving much closer to the waterpark! lol).