“Snowed in 2014”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 7 January 2014

First I want to thank Lauren, Angie and the front desk staff that worked on Monday January 6th. They went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of when Erie County Sherriff decided to close the roads at a level. 3. These women made sure we had what we needed to make our dollars stretch while we were snowed in. There some mainitance issues in the suites, however overall it was good. We have stayed in other places and had more consistent service. Some of the staff seemed upset that they had to be there others made the best of it and did not pass on any negative attitudes towards the guest. Alex at the waterpark was also helpful when we learned about the road closures. One area of improvement could be the arcade. The arcade is overpriced even for a resort. Second the games don't work as well as they should for how they are priced. The food is okay. The prices are what you would expect for a resort. The lockers are a bit pricy even if you $9.00 back. Six dollars per day is a bit much for such a small locker. The waterpark is good. However some of the slides can pinch your skin as you riding down them. Some of the lifeguards do their job well and others could care less. Then there are the ones who need to give parents just a few seconds to tell their children no. As a parent you are watching your kids and those that are around them, so it may take more than five seconds to redirect your kids. Overall I was initially going to give the resort a three however when the roads closed they stepped it up so I moved it up to a four. This park is the largest of its kind and could do better if the entire time embraced customer service the same as those mentioned in the beginning. Kalahari could one day make people if more valued, however they are not there yet. If you think it is pricy by the way remember a hotel room for four cost at least 100.00 and water park admissions run from $ 25- 60 per day per person, If you shop the deals and bring food with you you could spend less than $60.00 Per day per person, Our favorite ride was the Raging rhino and the flow riders. The kids really enjoyed the tree house.

Room Tip: Call them and you will normally get a better deal than if just looking on line. Prepay your breakfa...
3  Thank Annette1993
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Hello Annette, Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I will pass on the compliments to Lauren & Angie. We appreciate the constructive feedback as well, we are always looking for ways to improve. I will pass all your comments onto our Training Manager for her to incorporate into training sessions. Thanks again!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

The waterpark and restaurant were great, but we were very disappointed in our room.

The first room we were given, the door did not latch properly when we left the room. When I called down to the front desk, they suggested sending maintenance. We were headed out, and she suggested having them come while we were gone - which would require us to leave our room unsecured. We asked for another room. When we got to that room, the heat was set to a sweltering 82 degrees. The security lock was hanging from the doorframe (though it did still keep the door from being opened) and one of the lights on the vanity was burned out (and was not replaced when our room was serviced the next day). The window was leaky and made a constant howling sound as air seeped in. I know this wasn't solely due to wind, because when my husband held the window pushed a little tighter, the howling stopped, but it was not possible to KEEP it stopped. We did not ask for another room, because we were eager to get on with our visit, but the room was certainly a disappointment - Not what we would expect and not as nice as it was when we visited two years ago.

The waterpark was great fun and well maintained, and the Great Karoo had delicious buffets.

2  Thank Figment98
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is the second year in a row that I've taken my family and two friends to a Kalahari Resort on New Years, the first time was at the Wisconsin Dells and this time was at the Sandusky Ohio location. The room was fine, the park was fine, but the buffet was the worst that I've ever experienced at any resort. After waiting at the table for 15 minutes we decided to track down a waiter to get some drinks. When the waiter we tracked down returned with our drinks, another waiter (the correct one) showed up and confronted the waiter that was serving us, after a heated discussion between the two servers (that left everyone at the table feeling uncomfortable), the correct server took over and informed us that he was sorry for the confusion and would take care of us going forward. (we didn't see him again until the end of the meal) We got up from the table to get our food and when we arrived back at the table 5 minutes later, the staff was already trying to seat another group at our table and seemed put out that we weren't ready to leave. The dining room was so cold that all of our food was cold by the time we were able to return to the table with it. At one point my children found a container of hot chocolate that they were able to get to warm their hands up with. They said that the hot cocoa was very good and tasted like it had been made with real milk. I went to get a cup, but the container was empty. Upon asking the waiter if they were going to refill the container, I was told that he didn't think so, but he could go to the kitchen and get me a packed of instant cocoa and a cup of hot water if I wanted. I respectfully declined. The prime rib was overcooked and some of the other dishes were undercooked. All in all it was a horrible experience and one that I've never experienced before at a Kalahari Resort. Considering the price of the meal ($250), I think we would have been better off going to Steak and Shake or one of the other local restaurants.

As a side note, I did try locating a manager during the meal, but none were to be found. I then went to the main desk and asked to speak to a manager about the issues and was told that this was the only way to get the information to someone. I tried one last time to call the Kalahari front desk and they transferred me to the manager in charge of the convention center where the buffet was held. I left a message on the voice mail, but haven't received any return call in 5 days.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

I am so sorry to hear about your New Year's Even Buffet experience. This is completely unacceptable and I would love the opportunity to look into this for you. As you mentioned, this is not the experience you would come to expect from Kalahari and would appreciate addressing this for you. Can you please email me your direct contact info to KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com? Thank you for giving me the opportunity to look into this for you. Take care and hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Would recommend the Ny-Um-Ba Villas at Kalahari for family reunions. We had 14 people of varying ages and the villas were absolutely stunning! We also had a physically challenged family member and transportation to the waterpark and back was great. When you divide up the cost among a number of people, the Villas are quite economical. Kitchen is well equipped with dishes and cooking implements. The children loved it. But we were also surprised at how much fun us empty nesters had also. We thought we would feel left out and out of place but we enjoyed the lazy river and wave pool and enjoying 84 degree weather when it was winter outside.

Room Tip: Don't automatically discount the Ny-Um-Ba Villas due to high cost. If you have a large group, t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Hi Karen! The Nyumbas are great for family reunions or large families. We build our Waterparks for guests of all ages! Glad everyone enjoyed themselves, hope you visit again soon!

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I traveled to Kalahari a twice. I actually love the resort. It was be some what pricey, but my 3 yr old loves it.

Well, I decided to go to the animal safari because my son loves animals. We purchased food and picture tokens. He actually really enjoyed it. At the end of the visit we went in to visit and feed the stingrays. The girl (Caucasian, young, dark hair and glasses) was really dry, but I really didn't pay any attention to that, but son was in awe. So she is just standing there while he is looking in the water, another Caucasian family comes in and she perks right up, she goes over and is very active with them, instructing them on what to do, letting them touch them. I am standing there in COMPLETE!!!!! Disbelief!!!! So I manage to keep my composure, I go to the desk at the entrance and report it to another young women. I just had to leave because I didn't want to react and make my son feel uncomfortable. I felt like she totally disregarded my child who was innocent and enjoying himself.

When I got home I called to speak to the manager he was so unconcerned, and told me that maybe the family had purchased something that I had not, he didn't really know the situation, and he would give me free admission on my next visit.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. I would never go back to a place that treated my and especially my child in that manor. No thanks!!!!!!!

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Lalaluv1228
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for taking a moment to review us and share your thoughts. I am very sorry to hear about your experience. As the manager mentioned when you spoke to him, without a package, we do not let guests touch or feed the sting rays in the summer. That is an additional fee. I apologize that this was not stated or communicated to you at that time. I will be sure to connect with our team in the Safari Animals Adventures Park about their customer service and how much we value all of our guests. Likewise, I will ensure our supervisors understand the delicate process of sharing this information with our guests. I very much thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve the experience we share. I do remain in hopes we see you in the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had an overall wonderful experience. We have 4 children that range 10yrs apart and there was something for each of them. Including us adults!
The entire resort and water area were very clean, which is a huge plus for me.
My only complaints are what I feel are typical to such parks. The young staff members aren't terribly accommodating and the food is very over priced for what it is. However, there were many other staff member that were fantastic and if planned out better on our end, we could have worked out meal times more efficiently or brought snacks. Again, I feel this is expected.
Looking forward to visiting again.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was part of my gift to my grandchildren for Christmas and I knew we would have a good time since we have been there several times in the past. I thought the older grandkids would not enjoy it as well as the younger ones, but everyone had a good time. Will do it again and can say there was anything wrong with our stay - staff/checkin/rooms were excellent and we reserved more than one room for our group. Will do again in the future and would recommend it to all families to give it a try.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

We're glad your entire group had a good time! Can't wait to have you back!