“great family fun”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 24 February 2014

we took a family of 6 that included 2 adult children and all of us had a family fun blast..lots of quality family time at the arcade and mini golf...we always went during winter so we never been outside but the indoor wave was the standout of the vacation without that it would just be average..

Room Tip: the main hall on the 2nd floor is very noisey to me the kids running up and down it...3 floor n up v...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Hi Angela,I appreciate you reviewing us & letting us know what a great time everyone in your family had! I do hope we get the opportunity to have you as a guest again soon!

There are newer reviews for Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

Reviewed 23 February 2014

First, I will say...VERY EXPENSIVE. Do not go if you are looking for something cheap. But the water park is great, there are thrilling slides, down to a very nice toddler area with 6 in. of water for them to swim in. I have a one year old and even he had a blast. We LOVED the treetop playhouse my son love love loved it! and it wasn't very crowded. the staff is great. and all the rooms are extremely nice. you get what you pay for. Loved the indoor /outdoor hottub bar at night, but once again, drinks were expensive too. Literally have to pay for EVERYTHING. but I still love the dang place. so much fun!

Room Tip: Pretty noisy from all the kids running in the hallways I'd say it doesn't matter what room y...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Hello Kelsey! Thank you for the great review of our waterpark! We build our resorts for people of all ages so we appreciate hearing that every member of your family enjoyed it. May I suggest checking our packages the next time you come? Our Fantastic Family Getaway & Choose Your Own Adventure packages are quite popular. Can't wait to have you back.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have stayed here before and because it is only a few hours away it makes the perfect weekend getaway. You wouldn't expect such a high end resort to be found in Ohio, you will be pleasantly surprised. Food choices are endless, staff was all very kind, and there is plenty to keep everyone entertained. The only fault I could find was that water park could have been a little cleaner, we were there over one of their busiest weekends so it is hard to keep up with so many people who are too lazy to throw away their own trash, etc. Otherwise the rest of hotel, room, and eating areas where very well kept. Also, be prepared to spend $, this place is not cheap but you do get very large food portions and you will have fridge and microwave in room.

Room Tip: Ask for room closer to waterpark if you have small children, the Sands area is a far walk.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind review of our resort. We appreciate the compliments & I will be sure to pass them on. Thank you for being a repeat guest & we hope to have the pleasure of having you & your family as our guest again.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Had a great wknd getaway w/the family with just a few issues. Room was beautiful, park was busy but clean & lines moved great.
1st issue was at checkin it was not explained to us that we needed to "authorize" room charging ability for our dining & such. We charged(to the room) our drinks & then an hour later ordered our food & tried to charge again. Needless to say I was stuck w/kids & park w/food sitting in window while boyfriend ran all the way to room, then to front desk to give card #to front desk. 2nd issue was that we stayed two nights (@300night) & our room was not cleaned the 2nd day. Housekeeping knocked on door around 3 to ask if we needed towels. Other hotels we've stayed in have automatically made up room & replaced towels by noon or shortly thereafter.
Last issue, & probably what bothered me most was smoking by the hot tubs. There are multiple no smoking signs up but people still smoked & employees walked by without saying anything. Many people sitting in hot tub were commenting on it (esp those w/kids)as the breeze brought the smoke right to us. Kinda ruins the relaxation aspect of the hot tub.
Aside from those issues, resort is wonderful, food was great, employees friendly, really loved the lifeguards that were friendly & helpful(like on the flow rider).

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank aprilszoo29

Hello April! I am thrilled that you & your family had an overall great weekend. I do apologize for the few issues that you had, one being that the room charging abilities were not communicated to you, secondly the housekeeping issue & third the smoking in a no smoking area. Please rest assured I have already passed these issues onto the department managers to further review with their staff. I do hope to have you as our guest again.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We just got back from a few days at Kalahari and had a blast! The water park is awesome and much bigger than I had expected (and much better than Great Wolf by far). It was clean and had a lot of staff managing it. There was something for everyone- my 5 year old son and husband had fun on many of the water slides and my 3 year old loved the 2 little kid water areas. The place wasn't too crowded and I suspect mid-winter break is one of their busier times.

The room was very spacious and the beds were super comfortable. TV could've used a few more channels (especially for kids), but that's not a deal breaker.

The place is pretty large, so you get to walk off some of your food going to and from the room. The arcade was large and fun.

We didn't eat at the restaurants or order any of the food because the prices tended to be a bit high (especially for what you pay for the room), but we easily ate out at local places and brought food for the room. But we heard good things about the food there and man, the drinks at the bar in the water park (and swim up bar at the hot tub!) looked so yummy!

We will be back for sure and have already recommended it to friends!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Hi Melissa! Thanks for the great review! I'm thrilled to know that your entire family had a blast and also enjoyed your room. Check out some of our packages on our website they combine restaurant & activities & your room into a package price. We appreciate you recommending us to your friends & look forward to having you as our guest again!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Every year my wife and I and our three children go to Kalahari in Sandusky Ohio during the President's Day holiday. We have gone there every year for the last six to seven years. This year we arrived on Sunday February 16, 2014 and checked out on Tuesday February 18, 2014. For the first several years we had a great time but for the last several years we have been disappointed and had to complain to management several times. When we stay in February we always book the Fantastic Family Getaway that includes breakfast both days, arcade tokens, pizza and pop, and a forty dollar gift certificate to the Reserve restaurant. We went to the restaurant at about 7:30 and were told that the wait was going to be about 35 minutes. After waiting over 35 minutes I asked the hostess how many tables were in front of us and she said ten. At this time I asked to see the manager. The female manager came out and told me that the restaurant was totally full and that the wait times were only approximate. We then waited another 30 minutes to be seated. When we sat down I noticed that the majority of the tables were empty so much for a full restaurant. When we sat down the waitress took our drink and food order right away because we knew that we were going to have to wait. Two of my three children ordered the buffet that started out totally full and was never replenished for over an hour until somebody complained. After waiting over an hour for our food it came out wrong from the kitchen. I had the waitress take my wife's food off the bill and to let her manager know. The manager never came over and spoke with me. Several other tables were also complaining. The waitresses spent most of their time walking around the restaurant with no clue who was doing what wating for food forever. After leaving the restaurant I spoke to the front desk manager inquiring what the policy was to deal with complaints because for the last two years we have had the same issue in the restaurant. I wanted to know if they had managers meetings and discussed how to handle complaints. I feel as if there is very little communication and they do not try and correct the problems. The vey nice female manager took my name and number and had the head food and beverage manager call me the next day. I missed his call because we were in the waterpark. On Monday we arrived back at our room to find that the beds were made and we were given more towels but the floor was not vacumed and nothing else was done. At this time I asked another maid if they were supposed to clean the entire room and she said yes. At the same time the supervisor came walking up and I had her come and look at our room. She said that the maid did not do his job and had him come and clean it again. When I asked the maid Pedro what he did he said I made the beds and took the towels because he had a very busy day. I told him that I was not paying over 700 dollars for 2 nights in a room that was not going to be cleaned. Pedro then cleaned the room. The next morning we went to go to breakfast at the Reserve only to see a line outside the Great Karoo that stretched through the lobby. When I went to the Reserve it was closed and was told by the manager that since the hotel was only booked a certain percentage they would not open both buffets. The wait at the Great Karoo was two hours long and I was not willing to wait. I then went up to the front desk to see only two mangers working in which I was told that the restaurant was not opened because the county had shut down the roads because of six inches of snow and the workers could not come in. I understand that they had no control over that situation but I once agian wonder why the other manager lied and there is no communication in the whole resort. I also feel that they should have a backup plan to handle these situations. When we went to the waterpark that day many of the attractions were closed because they did not have enough staff As the day went on they started opening more attractions. When I go on vacation and spend my money I do not like to have to complain it takes away from spending time with my family. We enjoy the waterpark very much but I am not willing to keep coming there only to be more and more disappointed. I suggest that management listens to the numerous complaints and finds a way to fix them otherwise they are going to lose more long time customers. On a side note I feel that the workers that are running the childrens activities she actually like dealing with children. When my children participated in the hula hoop contest the old female worker was very rude to all the children and acted like she hated her job. I hope the time that I took to write this review helps this resort to fix their problems.

3  Thank Shaun W
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Hi Shaun, While I am very thankful you have taken the time to review us, I am very discouraged to hear about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear about your experiences & appreciate you sharing this with us. Please know, I have already taken your feedback & connected with our management team & we will be addressing all of your concerns. Our Food & Beverage Director has reached out to you & it is our hope that we can further resolve this issue with your additional feedback. It is our goal to make sure every guest leaves here with a great impression of our beautiful resort, and we hope that you will give us another chance to show you the level of customer service you expect and deserve. Please let us know if I can help connect you to our Food & Beverage Director as he does have an email out to you, please just let me know. Happy to help further that connection. Take care and thank you again.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We go with a group of friends every year to a water park and we had a great time this year at Kalahari we can't wait to go back next year. The park itself was clean with a great atmosphere, the value is good too.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thanks for your great review! We can't wait to have you & your friends back again!