“Great Time For Family”

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Jamestown, NY
“Great Time For Family”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was our first time at Kalahari. We booked a morning "junior zoo keeper" package. Amazingly, our room was ready at 9 AM. It was really swell to check in that early. The resort is large and be prepared to walk a lot.
Our Hut room was decent, clean and comfortable. However, you do not go to Kalahari to spend much time in your room.
The Safari zoo is a lot of fun for a small zoo. Our son thoroughly enjoyed the junior zoo keeper program. He go to hold a baby kangaroo among other things. This was a fun 2 hours.
The water park is huge. Our son was intimidated by the big slides but enjoyed the wave pool and junior slides. During our stay, a 1 day cabana rental was more expensive than our entire package. That was really the only downside.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food is expensive but of good quality. We all liked the bakeshop.
We cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Building 6 is a long walk from the water park.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for choosing Kalahari & taking the time to review us! I am so happy that your son thoroughly enjoyed the Junior Zoo Keeper program, it is quite a fun & educational 2 hour program. One of the great things about our waterpark is how your son will be able to enjoy it for years to come; young kids love the junior slides & teenagers love the flowrider. We can't wait for the opportunity to have you & your family as our guest again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Took grand kids 4 and 7 over spring break. Was a little worried after reading some of the reviews about staff at water park. On a whole, with no exceptions, this was a very polite, friendly and patient group of mostly kids, but each and everyone went out of their way to be accommodating.

It is loud, busy, annoying and just about the most awful place on earth if you are more of the get away to the woods or mountains type like me, but for what it is it could not have been any better.

Grand kids loved it, food was surprisingly good, most cooked in house, bakery was great. A lot to do and take in but never felt pressured or pushed, do it all on your own schedule.

Lots to do in the area to get away for a bit, skate rink down the road is a quiet oasis for a couple of hours.

If you need or want a family resort I would recommend, but if you want solitude, shy away. We stayed in the sands which is a short ways away from the hoopla but seconds away if you want it, very short walk down clean hallways. Our room looked out on outdoor water park (still closed for season), right by play are which was clean and in good condition.

Room Tip: Took some microwaveable food for the kids as they were beat at the end of the day, bed by eight eve...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hello David, thank you for choosing Kalahari to be your Spring Break vacation for you & your grandkids. I'm so thrilled that your grands kids loved it. I'm happy that you were able to have a wonderful vacation & create memories with your grandchildren.
Michigan
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We have been to Kalahari several times. It has been nice other times, like a mini vacation. But this time I have felt that Kalahari has changed. We got our room right away, which was nice. However, the room was dirty! It the corners of the room it looked like three years worth of dust and dirt. The tile which the faucet comes out of in the bath tub was completely pushed in. Overall pretty gross. Now the water park. Almost all of the lifeguards have difficulty speaking English (this is a new thing). I was watching some try to correct some kids, but the kids didn't understand and then the lifeguard gave up. This isn't safe. The food quality and service has gone down hill as well. The dinner buffet was nasty and service was poor. They didn't care to serve you. I hope one day it will go back to the way it was a couple of years ago.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank carm424
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
While I am sorry to hear that not everything during your stay was positive, I do appreciate your feedback. If you would please email me your contact information our management team would like to discus your experience in more detail, please email me at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. It is our goal to make sure every guest leaves here with a great impression of our beautiful resort, and we hope that you will give us another chance to show you the level of customer service you expect and deserve. Thank you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 April 2014

So after many years of having Kalahari on our bucket list we finally booked it - and we were beyond excited to finally be getting there. Sadly, we were disappointed once we arrived. Check in was smooth, no issues. We went to our room which was right above the check in - nice and close. When we opened the door the first thing I said was, "where was the rest of the room???" - the room was NOT even close to the size described on the web page. The bathroom was a handicapped bathroom, not tub. The mattress in the pull out sofa was flimsy. So we called the front desk for a different room and nothing was available for the 4 nights straight we were staying. We went to shower, saw the knobs were broken on the shower, they were unable to repair it and oh all of a sudden they had a different room available for all of my nights staying there - hmmmmmmm......... Now came time to go to the water park - which was over three hallways walking distance from our room (about 5 minutes or so) when I walked in all I could say was "where is the rest of the park???" - there is no way that water park is 173,000 square feet, not by any means (now keep in mind, we have been to NUMEROUS water parks before). In all reality there wasn't really much in the water park that was impressive - some tubes - the flow rider was pretty entertaining but a death trap. I will say the food was more than reasonably priced in the water park itself but outside the water park and in the lodge a joke. The breakfast buffet we tried since we were there and there was not even many choices of food. It was pretty standard and for 15.00 a person you should really offer a decent variety - I would have preferred an egg station over steak for breakfast. Then every day we are supposed to go to the front desk to get new wristbands for the water park - apparently they cancel effective 3 pm daily -why should I have to wait on line with all the check ins / check outs for this????? I stood there for over 20 minutes one day while someone checked in 16 people. Seriously??? I even tried the little zoo they have - 10.00 for one carrot sliced to feed the animals???? What a joke - I understand the monies go towards the animals but really the nerve to charge 10.00 for ONE carrot is a little ridiculous - and the bucket for 25.00 wasn't all that impressive either. We barely spent much time in the water park as it wasn't as described really - we even left a day early and lost our 325.00 payment for that night - I can tell you that we won't be returning to this water park - nor will be visiting the new location in PA that's opening in 2015 (that is closer to us) - and I will never recommend them to anyone we know - I personally think Great Wolf is better and Kalahari will not manage against them in PA especially based on price - the room we paid for at 300.00 + a night was NOT worth the charge - not at all. But at least we can cross it off our list of things to do now.

Room Tip: Call and ask specifically what is in the room - the type of bathroom - the type of bedding - how far...
2 Thank Jennifer L
Thank you Jennifer for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. While I am sorry to hear that not everything was positive, we do appreciate hearing your feedback. I am also glad to hear that you were able to connect with our General Manager in regards to your concerns. I hope that, that helped gain some insight to your questions. While I am sorry to hear that you don't feel our park is indeed 173,000 square feet, I can ensure you that it in fact it is, likewise, making it America's Largest Indoor Park. We are so grateful that we just won an award from Conde Nast Traveler for the World's Coolest Indoor Waterpark as well. Again, I am sorry to hear that you do not share in those feelings. Hopefully over time, as we continue to put new slides and attractions in, you can give us another try and be blown away. Last, thank you for all the individual feedback on the room and animal park. I will be more than happy to share as well as I believe our GM has passed along the comments as well. Thank you again for your time, I remain in hopes of seeing you in the future.
Belleville, Michigan
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Our family spent two nights at Kalahari with a package deal that included breakfast each morning, pizza dinner, $40. Restaurant credit, and arcade card along with the room and waterpark access, of course. We found the entire experience to be superb. The facility is beautiful and well maintained. Upon arrival our room had a strange odor and we were quickly switched to another room without a problem. The kids loved the water park and all of the slides and wave pool. I found all of the food to be excellent from the breakfast buffet in The Great Karoo to a delicious dinner at The Reserve and even lunch in the water park at the Zulu Grille. The staff was one of the best features of the resort. Everyone we met was so friendly and engaged us in conversation, talking to the kids about their experience. The lifeguards are also top notch and very attentive. Overall, although the package was expensive, I feel it was a good value for the amount of things included and for the high level of quality of our entire experience. We went from first-time Kalahari guests to huge Kalahari fans!

Stayed April 2014
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
I'm so thrilled that you had your first visit with us & even more so that you are now a huge Kalahari fan! We truly appreciate your comment about our staff being the best feature. I am glad that the kids loved the attractions in the waterpark & that you found all the dining options excellent. Thank you for choosing Kalahari & taking the time to share your experience. I do hope we have the pleasure of having you as our guest again.
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Ok room and food weren't great and the whole place is pretty expensive BUT when you are greeted by friendly, nice, helpful, attentive staff who go out of their way to help and guide you and get you what you need while smiling genuine smiles, it makes up for a lot!

Our 8 and 11 year old kids were thrilled with the offerings and the water was warm enough EVEN for me. The waterpark was clean, friendly and nice.

Room Tip: Handicap accessible room was fine, no frills and had no view but that was ok since this isn't a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the great compliments of our staff! I appreciate your feedback. Guest comments & suggestions are the best way to identify the areas in need of improvement & your feedback will get passed on. I'd like to suggest two of our most popular & economic packages the Fantastic Family Getaway & Choose Your Own Adventure. I hope we have the pleasure of having you as our guest again!
Findlay, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Wonderful for the entire family! We go every year and always have a blast. The only downside is how much you spend. I would suggest you do one of the room/package deals but they don't offer them on the weekends usually.

• Stayed March 2014
Hi Lisa! Thank you for choosing Kalahari every year for your family's getaway! Two of our most popular packages & best value, the Fantastic Family Getaway or Choose Your Own Adventure are available on the weekends. We hope to see you again & that you are able to take advantage of one of these great packages!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!