“Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Cleveland, Ohio
“Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Conference center was very nice. Clean. Large rooms. Plenty of parking. My complaint? They don't allow you to bring any food or beverage into the center. They say they provide water. They do, well sort of. They put pitchers of water and glasses on the tables. The problem is they don't put out fresh glasses during the day. So if you don't mind drinking out of someone else's dirty glass you'll be fine. By mid afternoon most of the pitchers were empty anyway. It's a water park. The only place to buy a bottle of water was at the other end of the hotel. By the time you got back to the conference center you were thirsty again. Ridiculous.
Also, all the restaurants are located at the farthest end of the hotel away from the conference center. It was much closer to walk to our car and drive to a restaurant which is what we did after one lunch at a Kalahari restaurant.

Room Tip: The resort is huge. No matter where your room is be prepared to walk a long distance.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Hi Karen! I appreciate you taking the time to review us & share your experiences. I am disappointed to hear about your experience in our Convention Center. I can assure you this is not our standard. Our Director of Banquets would like the opportunity to discuss this with you in further detail. If you would kindly email me your contact info at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com we will contact you. I do hope that other than this incidence that you enjoyed the rest of your trip & I remain in hopes that we see you again. Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The water park was plenty of fun, but a hard worker by the name of Erdis made the place feel like home. We had plenty of fresh towels and linens, and the coffee was always on pot. Every time I return, I'm staying in Erdis's wing.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for Erdis.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hello! I appreciate you taking the time to review us & share your compliments regarding Erdis. I will be sure to personally share this with him. Thank you for choosing Kalahari!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We visited Kalahari because our kids (10 & 13) love waterparks but have outgrown most of them. I'd been keeping my eye out for specials because at regular rates, this resort would be out of our price range. We ended up getting a room for a little under $200, which included a $50 food voucher, free admission to the zoo, and 20% off other services.

We arrived around 2pm on a Sunday afternoon for an overnight stay. Our room wasn't ready until the regular check-in time of 4pm and we didn't want to go to the waterpark until we unpacked so we knocked some of the other activities off our to-do list instead. We had glo-golf ($24 for four of us) all to ourselves and there were hardly any people at the zoo area either, which was great! Because of the season, not all of the animals were out but my daughter loved going in the parakeet cage to feed the birds. At one point there were 16 of them on her and the close up look thrilled her.

The waterpark wasn't too crowded on Sunday or Monday. The longest we waited in line was for one of the 'big' rides was probably 15 minutes max. Our girls didn't get bored at all even though the park is so large I didn't want them to go off on their own very much. The park rules state that those 14 and under aren't supposed to anyway. The rides were great and enjoyable for the adults, too! We brought small snacks and drinks in to the without a problem but still ended up having to purchase food in the waterpark area. What we found to be the best bargain was a huge slice of pizza with potato chips and a drink for $6.99 at the Tiki Grill (?). The pizza wasn't great (Chef Boyardee-like) but it was edible. The food voucher was only good at two restaurants, neither of which were in the waterpark area so we ate dinner at The Reserve and the food exceeded expectations. The alfredo in particular was amazing.

There was a ton we didn't do (shops, spa, hair wraps, bowling) because we didn't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars. It's a shame that family fun has become so expensive in the last several decades due to price gouging, etc ($2.82 for a single-serve bottle of OJ, come on!) but overall this place certainly is as advertised, an entertaining and memorable experience for families.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jking9
HI & thanks for giving us a try! I'm glad to hear you took advantage of one of our packages, some of our most popular packages are the Choose Your Own Adventure & Fantastic Family Getaway. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy some of our other attractions, such as the Glo-Golf & the Zoo & thrilled your daughter enjoyed the Parakeet Exhibit, it is very cool! I'm happy to hear that everyone enjoyed the waterpark & the Reserve. We look forward to the opportunity to have you as our guest again soon!
Marysville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Waitress in The Reserve on Monday evening, 04,28,14. Do not remember her name, but she stated she has worked their for multiple years and previously worked in housekeeping. She was VERY knowledgeable and VERY helpful. We both forgot that our dinner included a game card to the arcade and returned our room which was in the furthest wing from the restaurant (a decent 10-15 minute walk). She went as far as to track down what room we were in and provide the game card personally, while apologizing for disturbing us so late in the evening. She was very pleasant and is one of the reasons we are planning on returning.
Additionally on Sunday, 04,27,14, a waitress in the Great Karoo buffet provided us fantastic service! She asked if we were celebrating anything special and learned that it was our honeymoon, she then surprised us by bringing a huge slice of delicious cake on a plate that was thoroughly decorated with raspberry sauce that said congratulations! For free!

Multiple sections of the Lazy River and outdoor hot tub had water jets and fountains that were in disrepair and not functioning properly or not functioning at all.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 600's are the furthest from the waterpark and dining. If you are in the furthest w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Ronnie! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences! I'm thrilled to hear the level of service that our waitresses provided you! I have already passed your comments onto our Management Team & we will be sure to relay your comments to your waitresses. As for the state of the Lazy River & Hot Tub that has also been forwarded to our Waterpark Director for repair. I hope we get to celebrate more anniversaries with you!
CHICAGO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was here at Kalahari for a genealogy conference where I was speaking and I was surprised at what a great venue it was!

The meeting space was excellent! Large rooms, well staffed and maintained and the staff took care of every detail. I would definitely recommend the Convention Center for an upcoming meeting or event.

I had a nice suite and was also surprised at how quiet things were - even on a weekend and with lots of kids around. I didn't hear a sound while I was sleeping!

One negative experience: housekeeping. On the first day my room was never cleaned - I made several stops back at the room to check and the housekeeping cart was parked outside. When I got back at 10pm from my lectures and socializing with colleagues, I was aggravated and disappointed that the room was not cleaned. I called the night manager and was told it would be taken care of the next morning - and it was.

Room Tip: I was in 6516 which had a full kitchen, a dining room, a living room, a patio and a bedroom with a d...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. I can't tell you how much we appreciate your compliments on our Convention Center. We strive to give our guests a "Beyond Expectations" experience. While, I'm thrilled we were able to accomplish this on the Convention side, I am disappointed to hear we did not accomplish this on the guest room side. I can assure you your comments have been passed onto our Director of Housekeeping & that this is not our standard level of service. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We come to kalahari several times a year. We love eating at the Reserve, and everyone is always friendly and helpful. We are actually here as I write this! There is one thing that really does take a lot of the enjoyment out of the trip. Right now the wave pool has two ropes up blocking the deeper end. You can only go out to four feet. I understand it is an off time of the year, but it does get crowded even during light occupancy days(like today) and for an adult and my 14 year old, four feet of water is really no fun. He stands 5'9 and I am 5'8.

I would really like to see the wave pool staffed so the entire pool can be open. The past three times we have been here, it has been this way. The last visit was October 2013.

We really do love coming up, even though it might not sound like it right now. Hopefully the will have the entire pool open tomorrow!

roberta

Room Tip: If you are traveling with friends, the upgrade to an African suite is worth the extra few dollars. T...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time during your trip to share your experiences Roberta! I truly appreciate your compliments. I understand your frustration with the wave pool & have shared this with our management team in hopes that we can find a different solution. As this was posted yesterday, I checked today and the wave pool is completely open now. I hope you are there enjoying it right now! I can't thank you enough for being a repeat guest. Always a pleasure to have you! Have an amazing last day with us and see you again soon!
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed in late April on the weekend, what an awesome experience we had!! Booked one night and loved it so much our group decided to stay a second night. Meagan at the main front desk was amazing! Very helping in getting us a good deal and making us happy! She accommodated our somewhat difficult demands and was very pleasant and helpful! Everything about this place is amazing! Waterpark, outdoor swim up bar hot tub, food, and the rooms are all really nice! The staff was so great! We had to switch rooms the next day since we booked a different suite, and they actually had the room ready for us by noon!! They made our stay so wonderful, especially Meagan! In fact we all cant stop talking about how great it was and are already making plans to go back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
I'm just thrilled that you & your family had such an awesome experience that you decided to add on an additional night! We are so thankful for all of your compliments on our staff, rooms, waterpark & food. In fact, I have already passed your comments onto our management team. Thank you again for taking the time to review us & we look forward to seeing you again soon!