“Great Water Park”

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Water Park”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a fun, clean, and well run waterpark. The hotel is open and inviting. Our room was excellent. The water park has plenty of options for all ages. Nearly everything we experienced was good. The showers in the locker rooms were too hot and 2 of the speed slides hit your back at the seams but 2 minor issues. Beds were comfortable, Showers were very clean, Room was very comfortable.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hi Scott! I'm very happy that everything met your expectation & you thought your room to be excellent, the hotel open & inviting & the waterpark fun, clean & well run. I will be sure to pass on your comments about the hot showers in the locker room & the seams on the speed slides. I do hope that we have the pleasure of having you as our guest again in the very near future. Take care!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
London, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We went to Kalahari Sandusky with our boys (11 & 12) for the first time last weekend and it was a huge success. The resort is surprisingly clean for such a busy place and every staff member we interacted with was extremely friendly and helpful. The service is far better than I expected from this type of hotel. The price, while certainly not cheap, was likely reasonable given all that we experienced. It is definitely a good idea to do your homework though. When I called to book the room, I was not given any information about any packages and simply given the standard rate for the room selected. When I looked online, I booked the Family Getaway Package and got breakfast both mornings for each person, a $40 credit in the restaurants, a free pizza and 4 pops and a 50 credit funpass for the arcade – all that, tax in, was the same price as the room only before tax that the representative offered on the phone, so make sure you look into any deals before booking to make sure you get the best deal available and don’t rely on the hotel representative to suggest a deal for you.

We had a room just outside the arcade area – on the way to the waterpark. While it was very convenient, it was also VERY loud. Just about everybody in the resort has to go by that room on the way to the waterpark (and many people are wandering around and being very loud even past midnight) and the doors have very little sound insulation. We don’t mind walking a bit, so I would likely request a quieter room not in the hall to the waterpark next time (it would have been nice if the rep had warned us at check-in just how loud and busy the hallway would be outside our room – we likely would have requested a different location).

The waterpark though, which is the whole reason for the trip, was great. It really is big and there is something for every age and comfort level. All in all, we had a great time and our boys really enjoyed themselves so the weekend was exactly what we had hoped for (just with a little less sleep due to the noise of the hallway but hey, we can sleep at home). Maybe next time we visit the outdoor zipline and ropes course will be open for something a little different.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in the hallway to the waterpark/arcade - it's noisy. Make sure to look int...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 4FamilyTravellers
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
I'm so thrilled you decided to give us a try & had your first trip to Kalahari! I'm glad you felt it was a huge success & that you found our resort to be clean & our staff friendly. The Fantastic Family Getaway is one of our most popular packages, I'm so glad happy to know you enjoyed all it offers. It is disappointing to hear about the loud hallways, our security team does patrol the halls at all hours of the days in an attempt to keep noise levels under control. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience & review us, I will be sure to pass your comments onto our management team. We look forward to the pleasure of having you and your boys as our guests again soon. The Safari Outdoor Adventure Park is open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. I hope you have the chance to visit us again during that time!
Millersburg, Indiana
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My family had a great time. The staff at Kalahari went above and beyond and made our stay wonderful.
The only complaints were with housekeeping. Room was dirty upon arrival. I found the last occupants wrist bands on the floor by the bed,carpets were sticky to walk on. Cobwebs on light fixtures and in corners. Dinning room table was dirty. Combination room with kitchen need a thorough cleaning. Our other room attached was great. They need to get a duster and clean corners. If there are cobwebs there are spiders.....
Other negative house keeping just walked into a joining room thinking we had checked out in the middle of us changing. We heard someone open the door and I went to check. They had put the grey bar across so door was ajar. They need better training No excuse for this mistake.
Love the resort and the staff.. It just wasn't worth the sticky unclean room price tag. And then in addition getting walked in on.
Advice keep doors dead bolted and security barred in the morning of check out. And be prepared to clean your own room.

• Stayed May 2014
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello Lisa, I'm thrilled that you & your family had a great time & that you feel our staff when above & beyond to make your stay wonderful. I am disappointed to hear about the housekeeping issues. Our Director of Housekeeping would like to further speak with you regarding this. Please email me, KRIzzo@KalahariResorts.com your contact info so that I may connect you. Again, thank you for taking the time to review us & share your experience. We look forward to the next opportunity to have you as our guest.
Willowick, Ohio
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I took my 2 kids n myself for my daughter's Birthday. We had a blast there the room was huge it had a full kitchen with everything u could possibly need a huge dining room n living room with a fire place n private balcony a separate bed room, and the bathroom had a big tub with jets. The indoor water park was just amazing in every way. The game room was Huge too. Over all again the Best Place for your Kids n Family. I can't wait to go back next month. The only complaint I have is the Price it was really expensive I wish it was a bit cheaper.

• Stayed May 2014
I'm so glad we were able to be part of your daughter's birthday celebration! I'm also happy to hear that everyone had a blast & that you & your family enjoyed your suite. The indoor waterpark is America's Largest Indoor waterpark, I'm delighted it amazed everyone! I would like to suggest you check out some of our packages Fantastic Family Getaway & Choose Your Own Adventure are popular. You can also like us on Facebook & get specials & updates there. I hope we get to see you again in the near future! Take Care!
Swanton, Ohio
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We try to go every year in the spring. We go in the off season so its not terribly crowded and the room packages make it a good value. Its always clean, the staff is always friendly and all of us have a great time. Thanks for the experience.

1 Thank sricker
Thank you for being a repeat guest! While not everyone is able to come in the off season, I am glad that you are able. I'm thrilled everyone had a great time & that you found our resort clean & staff friendly. We look forward to the pleasure of having you as our guest again!
Camas, Washington
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I had the misfortune to present a class here as part of a corporate event. This place may be a fun place for families but it didn't meet my standards for business travel.

For one thing it spreads an enormous number of rooms over only six floors - which means some very long walks to get around. Running back to the room to grab anything took an entire break.

Then the staff struggled with normal requests like the need to accommodate our participants' special diets and business needs. I expect to pay more for business services at a hotel but their prices were ridiculous. Even that would have been easier to swallow if the level of service matched the fee. Instead I got the sense that the service employees were not empowered to be helpful and so they had no choice but to be officious.

Finally the location means that you have to pay a lot to get there from the nearest airport and then you are trapped. Ok if you drove there with the kids for the water park, not so good if you want a quiet place to get dinner and a nice glass of wine after a hard day of training.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KascadeKat
We appreciate your feedback & are sorry to hear about your recent experiences with us. It saddens me that you felt it was a misfortune to be part of a corporate event that was held at our resort. And what could have been a relaxing business trip was overshadowed by lack of communication prior to the convention. Kalahari Resorts in Sandusky Ohio is Ohio's largest hotel, we are proud to say that everything is connected, from the Convention Center, Waterpark & restaurants everything is under one roof.

Having spoken with both our Director of Food & Beverage and our Director of Banquets while you were here I am very disappointed you did not feel they rectified the situation to your satisfaction.

After connecting with our team, I did verify that we did infact accommodate every special diet request from vegan, halal, non-dairy, & seafood to nut allergies. I apologize that you were not made aware that we have a full service concierge & bell man team. We have them available to drive you to the local mall, restaurants & shopping centers that are just minutes down the road. Likewise, I am sorry that you were not aware of the resort restaurants & extensive wine menu that we have conveniently located within our property.

I do remain in hopes that despite these issues, you will give us another opportunity to provide you the level of service that you deserve & expect. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope that I was able to provide some clarity to your experience. Thank you.
Reviewed 9 May 2014

this trip was the best ever for my daughter's 4th birthday, this is so nice that we plan to go again for her ninth birthday, we got a very clean suite and the arcade and waterpark were very exciting and fun. This is the best place ever.

Room Tip: click the village suite it is very nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for the great review Madison! I'm so happy that we had a part in the birthday celebration & creating memories for your daughter! I've very pleased that you were impressed with everything from your suite & arcade to the waterpark. We look forward to celebrating many more birthdays with you & your family!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!