“Great getaway for couple days”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great getaway for couple days”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Rooms are very nice. A little pricey but admission to water park included. Water park is for all ages. Something to do no matter age, size, or swimming ability. Food cost is too high. But tons of restaurants in area to eat at. The whole safari theme is totally carried out very well thru out. Clean, friendly and up kept resort.

• Stayed July 2014
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hi Diane. Thank you for all of the positive feedback. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the rooms and our African theme throughout the Resort. I'm glad you all enjoyed the waterpark as well. Take care and we hope to see you back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Well, I'm lying here in a really comfortable bed in our Kalahari room on our last day. I have very mixed feelings about this place and I've decided the feelings are more negative than positive. We've stayed at Great Wolf Lodge in Cincinnati several times and we really expected Kalahari to exceed GWL lodge, but it did only in size and size doesn't always make things better. Here goes:

Kalahari is massive, both the hotel and water park. Really, it's all just too big. Lines everywhere, although I'm very satisfied with the attitude of just about every employee we dealt with. Check-in was quick and friendly with plenty of help offered. Once checked in, I called and asked for more blankets. Someone arrived with blankets and pillows within 10 minutes. The buffets, pizza and other restaurants were great and expensive, but GWL is every bit as expensive. In short, Kalahari hotel and restaurants are really nice, but so are GWL's. Where GWL wins is it's smaller, cozier and easier to manage. A 5 minute walk from the water park to room instead of 10. No biggie. I honestly prefer the GWL rooms. I like the cabin look.

Water park. Now this is where I thought Kalahari would just destroy GWL. Now, keep in mind we go to the GWL in Cincinnati, which is WAY bigger than Sandusky:

Kalahari's water park is massive, 2-3 times the size of GWL. Weird thing is, it's not better. Yeah, the wave pool is twice as big, but it's three times busier and the waves are the same size. Also, there are maybe twice the water slides, but none of them are really any better than the slides at GWL, they're just needed because the place is SO INCREDIBLY BUSY. Overall, I found the indoor water park to be too much and was borderline sensory overload. It's was very noisy and just jam packed (weekdays in august).

I walked around the water park wondering why we didn't like it better than GWL and really did decide it was because it didn't do anything different, it just had more and/or bigger versions of the same stuff.

Additionally, it should be noted that Kalahari let's anyone purchase a day pass for the water park only while GWL only allows hotel guests to use theirs. This is huge for us as eliminating days passes eliminates a lot of the element that made our time at the Kalahari water park so below average. My kid and his buddy feel the same exact way. At first, they were blown away with the size, but quickly learned Kalahari was 2-3 times bigger because it is 4-5 times busier.

Basically, at the end of the day, Kalahari was almost like work while GWL has always felt like a nice, stress-free get away. GWL does what Kalahari does but on a smaller scale, which actually works for us. My son is 9 and agrees with me. Keep in mind the GWL in Cincinnati has the big rides for older kids.

I gave Kalahari two stars only because the property is beautiful and the service was as good as it could be for the crowd size it attracts. Again, big isn't always better.

I can't think of a reason to return.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank CHRIS K
Hi Chris. I am very saddened to hear about your experience with us and that it was not enjoyable compared to what you're used to. We pride ourselves in offering 100 kinds of fun along with providing everything under one roof so that guests can be as relaxed as possible. I apologize if the waterpark seemed a bit crowded, as our business of the Resort changes day by day based on availability. Again, please accept my sincerest apology. We really hope to see you all again sometime soon.
ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We just returned from our stay at Kalahari. Overall, we had an outstanding time.
Using information from previous reviews, I requested a ground level room in the main building (1214). This was extremely convenient as we were able to quickly access the lobby, outside water park, and indoor water park.
While the pricing in the main restaurants did seem a bit high, the cafe in the water park offered very reasonably priced pizza, chicken strips, and sandwiches. The quality if all of the offerings was excellent!
Some reviews have mentioned the noise in the hallway. Even being close to a main access door and elevator, we didn't hear any noise at all.
We can't wait for our next visit to Kalahari!

1 Thank vegas1983
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am so happy to hear that you had a great experience based on reviews you had previously read about our resort. I hope the waterpark wasn't too crowded for you and you were able to enjoy as many rides as possible. Thank you again for taking the time to fill out such a lovely review. Take care!
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was our first time at the resort. We had a great time! The room was a very spacious suite with a big balcony porch and two pull-out "Murphy" beds. The waterpark was fantastic, both the outdoor part and the indoor part, so much fun. While the room and the food were expensive, you would expect that for a place like this - and since the quality was so good, it still seemed like a good value for the money. One thing to note: the hallway leading to our room was very long - this wasn't a problem for us since we are pretty young and active, but I could imagine people with less mobility having a problem with the hike to the room - so if this applies to you, request a room closer to the elevators. We can't wait to go back to Kalahari!

Room Tip: See comment in main portion of review regarding the extremely long hallways.
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your first trip to Kalahari and that you can't wait to come back! I'm also happy that you enjoyed the waterparks during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. We look forward to seeing you back again soon!
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had a great time. Wasn't all that busy considering it was summer. We will be going back for sure even though it is an 8 hour drive from home. I'm going to recommend this trip to everyone I know. We had so much fun, we decided to stay an extra day.

• Stayed August 2014
Hi Don. I'm so happy to hear that you had a wonderful time during your visit to Kalahari. Thank you for traveling 8 hours to visit us. Wow! I'm happy to hear that you'll be recommending our resort to family & friends. Take care and we hope to see you back again soon!
Neffs, Ohio
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Upon arrival there was a very large line to check in at the Sands building. After waiting in line for quite awhile my wife got our water passes but so much time had passed, it wasn't worth going to the water park and coming back. Had to get in line again for the room. Was told it wasn't ready and had to go to the back of the line again. Made it to the desk once again, was shortly after 4 pm and was told the room still wasn't ready and to go to the back of the line again. At this point my wife and I were very irate and it was sad looking at our 2 children sitting on the floor waiting for something they had so looked forward to. We told the desk clerk we were not leaving the desk until it was ready. Wasn't going through that line again. We waited 10 minutes and it was finally ready. Got to the room to find it was a mess. Hair in the beds and stained sheets, wall lamps all crooked, pictures crooked, dead bug squashed on the wall, and the bathroom was so small a medium to large sized adult could not use it. We called the front desk and they sent the floor manager. She said she would have the room cleaned but wouldn't change the sheets. Said the dryer caused the stains. Complained again and asked for a higher up manager. A manager and 2 other managers came to the room to see our concerns. They were not very happy with the room and the previous staff. We got a call saying they would move us to another room in the other building near the waterpark and sent staff to move our baggage. The second room was very nice but by this time our children had pretty much lost a day in the water park. I feel we should be compensated with at least a free night or 2 for all the trouble. Other families were very frustrated as well and the worst thing was the disappointment on the children's faces seeing the adults upset. Not the fun beginning they anticipated. Everything went well after the room move with the exception of waiting over and hour for a pizza to be delivered only to find it wasn't made like we had asked. Decided to eat it anyway, wasn't waiting that long for another one. We were given a partial refund on the pizza. Water park was clean and fun. The main building is so much nicer.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ds13ema
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
While I am very thankful you have taken the time to review us, I am very discouraged to hear about your recent stay with us. I am however glad to hear that you enjoyed the waterpark & that you & your family had a great time there. I have already taken your feedback & connected with our management team & who would like to discuss your experience with you. If you would kindly email me at SocialConnect@KalahariResorts.com. I will be happy to connect you. Thank you!
Payne
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was my first visit to Kalahari Resort!! My visit was myself and my granddaughter of age 8. We enjoyed the outside/inside water park together as well as the arcade, spa, zoo visit, pottery time, pizza pub and evening indoor restaurant and of course shopping. There was then time alone in the room to relax and just sit on the balcony and enjoy the summer night with very little noise.

Very polite and accommodating staff every where we went throughout the resort. No worries of getting lost. The halls were very well marked and very well laid out.

I'm hoping to take my kids, other grandkids another time to perhaps make it a yearly event!!

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out such a lovely review. It looks like you were able to take advantage of a good amount of activities that we offer here at the Resort. Sometimes just sitting on your balcony and enjoying the evening is the best way to spend those summer night! Take care and we hope to see you back again soon!