“Great summer or winter!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Woodhaven, Michigan
“Great summer or winter!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This water park is great during summer for weekend getaways with all the pools and animals out. During winter it's a treat to feel like its summer for the day. If staying in hotel find room closest to lobby or at least close. They have awesome villas if you go with a few people and want to treat yourself. After staying in villa you will want your house same way It was awesome

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Drod2000
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for the great review. With both the Indoor & Outdoor Waterparks, guests are able to enjoy our Resort at any time of year. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your Villa. Those are the coolest and most specious rooms in my opinion. Take care and we hope to see you back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We visited Kalahari in May with 5 children. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite on the first floor of the resort, which was so convenient. We were steps away from food, shops, and the water park. Our room was perfect; a separate bed/ bath for the parents, with the five kids in the other room (with two queen beds and a pull-out sofa sleeper). The waterpark was amazing! So much to do, and everyone had a blast. The restaurants were kid-friendly and the food was great. The weekend we visited was cold & rainy, so we were not able to do any of the outside activiites, but there was plenty to do inside. Very clean and the staff was friendly & helpful. Book it now!!!

Room Tip: Stay on the bottom floor, it connects to the park & amenities.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing about your recent experience last May. I am so glad to hear that your suite was nice and spacious. I'm also glad you enjoyed the Indoor Waterpark. I am sorry to hear that the weather didn't cooperate and that it restricted you from going outdoors. All in all, it sounds like you had a great time. Thanks again for the review and take care!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We drove six hours to get to Sandusky - worth the drive! Check-in was smooth and we got a standard Hut room in the Sands building. Room was spacious and clean - no complaints. Some people have complained about the food and drink prices. I would say it is a bit pricey but by no means excessive. Also, plenty of options within a short drive if you want to pay less. Had dinner at the Reserve which was excellent.

Obviously the main attraction is the waterpark which did not disappoint. The place is huge - I would say 1/3 larger than Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls. Plenty of outdoor activities too at an extra cost - zip line, wall climb, ropes course.

Drive to Cedar Point is about 15 minutes. Cedar Point and Kalahari make for an excellent trip. This is our first time in Sandusky and we look forward to coming back!

Stayed August 2014
Summer Vacation is the best time of year. Especially when you can spend it at America's Largest Indoor Waterpark! Thank you for making the 6 hour trek to our Ohio Resort. I am very happy everything went smoothly and you enjoyed your getaway. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you back again soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Rooms are very nice. A little pricey but admission to water park included. Water park is for all ages. Something to do no matter age, size, or swimming ability. Food cost is too high. But tons of restaurants in area to eat at. The whole safari theme is totally carried out very well thru out. Clean, friendly and up kept resort.

• Stayed July 2014
Hi Diane. Thank you for all of the positive feedback. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the rooms and our African theme throughout the Resort. I'm glad you all enjoyed the waterpark as well. Take care and we hope to see you back again soon!
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Well, I'm lying here in a really comfortable bed in our Kalahari room on our last day. I have very mixed feelings about this place and I've decided the feelings are more negative than positive. We've stayed at Great Wolf Lodge in Cincinnati several times and we really expected Kalahari to exceed GWL lodge, but it did only in size and size doesn't always make things better. Here goes:

Kalahari is massive, both the hotel and water park. Really, it's all just too big. Lines everywhere, although I'm very satisfied with the attitude of just about every employee we dealt with. Check-in was quick and friendly with plenty of help offered. Once checked in, I called and asked for more blankets. Someone arrived with blankets and pillows within 10 minutes. The buffets, pizza and other restaurants were great and expensive, but GWL is every bit as expensive. In short, Kalahari hotel and restaurants are really nice, but so are GWL's. Where GWL wins is it's smaller, cozier and easier to manage. A 5 minute walk from the water park to room instead of 10. No biggie. I honestly prefer the GWL rooms. I like the cabin look.

Water park. Now this is where I thought Kalahari would just destroy GWL. Now, keep in mind we go to the GWL in Cincinnati, which is WAY bigger than Sandusky:

Kalahari's water park is massive, 2-3 times the size of GWL. Weird thing is, it's not better. Yeah, the wave pool is twice as big, but it's three times busier and the waves are the same size. Also, there are maybe twice the water slides, but none of them are really any better than the slides at GWL, they're just needed because the place is SO INCREDIBLY BUSY. Overall, I found the indoor water park to be too much and was borderline sensory overload. It's was very noisy and just jam packed (weekdays in august).

I walked around the water park wondering why we didn't like it better than GWL and really did decide it was because it didn't do anything different, it just had more and/or bigger versions of the same stuff.

Additionally, it should be noted that Kalahari let's anyone purchase a day pass for the water park only while GWL only allows hotel guests to use theirs. This is huge for us as eliminating days passes eliminates a lot of the element that made our time at the Kalahari water park so below average. My kid and his buddy feel the same exact way. At first, they were blown away with the size, but quickly learned Kalahari was 2-3 times bigger because it is 4-5 times busier.

Basically, at the end of the day, Kalahari was almost like work while GWL has always felt like a nice, stress-free get away. GWL does what Kalahari does but on a smaller scale, which actually works for us. My son is 9 and agrees with me. Keep in mind the GWL in Cincinnati has the big rides for older kids.

I gave Kalahari two stars only because the property is beautiful and the service was as good as it could be for the crowd size it attracts. Again, big isn't always better.

I can't think of a reason to return.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank CHRIS K
Hi Chris. I am very saddened to hear about your experience with us and that it was not enjoyable compared to what you're used to. We pride ourselves in offering 100 kinds of fun along with providing everything under one roof so that guests can be as relaxed as possible. I apologize if the waterpark seemed a bit crowded, as our business of the Resort changes day by day based on availability. Again, please accept my sincerest apology. We really hope to see you all again sometime soon.
ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We just returned from our stay at Kalahari. Overall, we had an outstanding time.
Using information from previous reviews, I requested a ground level room in the main building (1214). This was extremely convenient as we were able to quickly access the lobby, outside water park, and indoor water park.
While the pricing in the main restaurants did seem a bit high, the cafe in the water park offered very reasonably priced pizza, chicken strips, and sandwiches. The quality if all of the offerings was excellent!
Some reviews have mentioned the noise in the hallway. Even being close to a main access door and elevator, we didn't hear any noise at all.
We can't wait for our next visit to Kalahari!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank vegas1983
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am so happy to hear that you had a great experience based on reviews you had previously read about our resort. I hope the waterpark wasn't too crowded for you and you were able to enjoy as many rides as possible. Thank you again for taking the time to fill out such a lovely review. Take care!
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was our first time at the resort. We had a great time! The room was a very spacious suite with a big balcony porch and two pull-out "Murphy" beds. The waterpark was fantastic, both the outdoor part and the indoor part, so much fun. While the room and the food were expensive, you would expect that for a place like this - and since the quality was so good, it still seemed like a good value for the money. One thing to note: the hallway leading to our room was very long - this wasn't a problem for us since we are pretty young and active, but I could imagine people with less mobility having a problem with the hike to the room - so if this applies to you, request a room closer to the elevators. We can't wait to go back to Kalahari!

Room Tip: See comment in main portion of review regarding the extremely long hallways.
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your first trip to Kalahari and that you can't wait to come back! I'm also happy that you enjoyed the waterparks during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. We look forward to seeing you back again soon!