“LoVe It! Already planning our next trip.”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Indpls, Indiana
“LoVe It! Already planning our next trip.”
Reviewed 8 August 2006

This will be our 3rd trip here. 1st trip Was in April 2005, Husband, Myself 14 year old & 10 year old went for a three day weekend. We got there a little early so our room wasnt ready but check in was quick and the staff was OVERLY friendly. And waiting for our room was no big deal we spent 30 minutes walking around looking at everything there(hand carved tables,beautiful paintings,the water park, and then downstairs where the arcade, mini golf, pottery place among many other things.We did get our room in a timely manner and upon entering was blown away by the attention to detail the have put in this hotel. This place was spotless. I was very impressed.
Then we went to the water park WOW, AMAZING thats all I can say. It was clean, ALL the lifegaurds were busy working very hard & very FRIENDLY!! If there was an issue(a child had gotten sick on the walkway) it was cleaned up very professionally and VERY quickly.
Needless to say, both my kids had the time of there life, we never left the hotel, there is no need to, everything you could possibly need or want is inside this place.We ended up adding 1 more night to our trip.Fun fun fun for ALL ages.
Since we liked it so much we planned a family trip there in november with a total of 5 Adults & 4 kids.Again this trip was better than expected. My family loved it as much as we did. This trip we made it to the SPA, This place makes you feel like you are royalty!! And Everyone through our entire stay was again VERY friendly. Now I am planning our 3rd trip there for Nov. And I am sure I wont be disappointed. I really dont know what anyone can complain about I had a lot of interaction with numerous employees Not 1 time did they make me feel like I was a bother, They actually went out of there way to make sure We were happy.
I would recomend this hotel to everyone. You wont be diappointed.

• Liked — You never had to leave the hotel
  • Disliked — Not enough luggage carts for check in /out
  • Tips/Secrets — A long weekend is ALL you need Make this hotel your vacation dont try to do other things, like amusement park because you wont want to leave for anything.
  • Stayed November 2005, travelled with family
6 Thank traditional

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 3 August 2006

After researching many properties in the Cedar Point area, I happened upon a travelzoo discount for Kalahari and decided that it sounded better than staying in the cheaper rooms nearer to Cedar Point. It turned out better than I could have ever expected. Our three teenagers (ages 13, 14 and 17) loved it. Our friends' little ones (ages 4 and 8) had a great time too! We had planned to do Cedar Point and Soak City for two days and just sleep at the hotel. After spending the first day in the heat at Cedar Point, we left early and checked into Kalahari around 5 pm (intending on returning to Cedar Point later that night). The kids had so much fun on the water slides and lazy river that they didn't want to go back to Cedar Point.

We played on the water slides and then ate dinner at Karoo Marketplace. The kids and my husband at the buffet ($15 each I think) and I had a soup and salad ($7). Beers were $3 and free refill sodas were $2 each. Dinner for five of us at $76 is very reasonable I thought. The buffet had salmon, chicken, pasta, fresh breads, chicken fingers, corn dogs, fresh pies (they were not sliced...staff does need a little more training!) but the server accomodated us nicely. After the kids ate, they took off and went back to the waterpark till 10pm and then the arcade till 11.

The next morning, we ordered room service breakfast, which was reasonable also. The kids went back to the waterpark at 9am. We checked out and played till noon and then went back to Cedar Point. For next time, we decided it would be better to stay at Kalahari for two nights and get the evening passes to Cedar Point. Our plan would be: Play at Kalahari from noon till 4, Cedar Point from 4 to 10, Kalahari arcade till 11, then Kalahari from 9am to 4pm, Cedar Point 4 pm to 10 pm, then Kalahari the last day 9am to 3pm. Soak City at Cedar Point was fun but we had plenty of water at Kalahari.

We had a little mishap and broke a glass in our room. We called and requested a vaccuum cleaner. They brought one to us very quickly and offered to clean it up, but we did it ourselves (not their fault we dropped a glass on the chair). Only complaint was the refridgerator was leaking and didn't seem quite cold enough and we could hear the construction in the morning but I don't think it woke us. The waterpark is kind of dark and our pictures didn't turn out very well, but next time we'll bring a camera with a better flash! The queen beds were very comfortable and the fold out sofa was perfect for our son. The microwave and refridgerator were a bonus that we didn't really need for a one night stay. The vanity area was great for five of us trying to get ready (especially with three teenagers!). We will definately stay here again !

• Liked — The waterpark
  • Disliked — The lighting in the waterpark.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at Kalahari and get the evening Cedar Point tickets instead of the all day CedarPoint.
7 Thank Rejamrodig
Antioch, Illinois
Reviewed 3 August 2006

We have been to Great Wolf Lodge in Wisconsin Dells, Sandusky and Poconos. This was our first trip to Kalahari...we were on our way to the east coast....many of our friends who had been to the Kalahari in Wisconsin Dells said it was geared to older kids...ours are 6 and 4 years old. We stayed one night July 30th...the hotel was about 1/2 full.

Check-in went fine...we arrived around 2 p.m. The room was fine we were upgraded to a room with a fireplace....but it was 90 degrees outside...so no big deal. My wife and I commented that the hallways and rooms are almost identical to the Great Wolf....both hotels must use the same decorator. The room had a microwave and refrigerator which allows you to bring your own food in.

The part we didn't care for is that the Kalahari allows people not staying at the resort to use the waterpark. Parents drop their kids off with no supervision and they get wild.....so watch yours carefully. I was also surprised to see people without wristbands in the waterpark....at the check-in "area" for the waterpark.....most people were going through the handicap gate....not scanning their wristbands and nobody at the counter stopped them.....not sure how they patrol this.

To get to the waterpark is a bit of a hike. You have to go through the game room to get there so your kids can hit you up for game room tokens later....interesting marketing tactic. We were surprised at the level of violent games they had there...lots of gun games and one bazooka....our kids weren't interested luckily.

The water park was nice....not as clean as you would hope....wet trash and uneaten food on the ground. There are plenty of rides for all ages which was a pleasant surprise...even a "family" tube ride near the lazy river which can handle the smallest child. Outdoor water activities, sand volleyball and shuffle board are also available. All rides were working while we were there and plenty of lifegurads.

The food and service at the resaturant is bad...plain and simple. The staff moves slower than stop and our server was constantly on her cell phone. We were the first family in the restaurant at 5 p.m. and were served cold food. When we mentioned this....we received a big "sigh". I replied no problem and refelected her service with my lousy tip. Drinks were never refilled and it took forever to get our bill. When we left after over an hour...there were about a dozen people now in the restaurant. I would skip the restaurant.....plenty of places to eat in-town.

For Sandusky, the Kalahari is better than the Great Wolf...more for the kids to do and age appropriate. Our kids had fun....you can do the part in one-day no problem. Bring most of your own food and you should have a good time.

• Liked — Waterpark
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — Check-in on Sunday or early in the week, no too crowded
11 Thank Fatherof3
Frankfort, Kentucky
Reviewed 1 August 2006

We had a great time. My wife and 7 year old daughter and I went to the Kalahari July 23-26. First let me tell you I travel and stay in hotels 85-100 nights a year for business and pleasure. This resort is tops on my list for Family Fun. Check in was smooth and the bellman immediately was available to unload our vehicle. We checked in early to room 4411 to find a well appointed room that overlooked the outdoor pool area. The room was spotless and the beds were very comfortable. Our room was cleaned promptly every day. We utilized the onsite restaurants and room service and found the food be of excellent quality. I know some reviewers have complained about food prices but this is a resort and you should expect to pay resort prices. I thought the prices were very good. Example… I ate a grilled chicken sandwich (hot from the outside grilling station) every day for lunch by the outdoor pool. The sandwich came with chips, cheese etc and was priced around $6.50. Room Service for dinner is a good choice and delivery was prompt. I cannot say enough about the indoor and outdoor water play areas. There are lifeguards stationed everywhere and the feeling of security is enhanced by having one centralized exit/entrance to both the indoor and outdoor water areas. I saw several EMT’s patrolling the water park on foot. The indoor and outdoor water areas are very clean. Someone is constantly cleaning and picking up resort provided towels in all areas. You will be pleased with this resort. I would not hesitate to go again.

• Liked — seeing my family have a great tme
  • Disliked — having to leave the property
10 Thank George L
Milwaukee
Reviewed 29 July 2006

First of all i would like to say that i've stayed at the kalahari in wisconsin dells which was excellent. I don't know how this hotel could possibly be related to the other.
It all started with checking in and the attendent was very inimformed. We wanted one night on my credit card and the other on my sisters. She looked like a deer in headlights. After much confusion we got to our room which i must say was pretty nice.
Now to the pool area. First of all the zip coaster that was one of the reasons we stayed there was not working any of the three days we were there. I dont think i saw a lifeguard over the age of 17. They were splashing the young guests as they got on the rafts and conversing with eachother nonstop. they didnt seem very interested in the job they are paid to do at all.
There was a no running sign. But there was no one there enforcing it. Little kids were running all over. Also at the simulated surfing ride, the lifeguards seemed to be going on it more than the guests.
Now heres the kicker. When we were just about to leave walking down the stairs from the front desk. My wife fell down the stairs very hard hitting her elbow very hard and making her neck really sore. And she was also holding our digital camera in her hand, which fell with her and broke on the ground.
Now mind you, the stairs are made of a material that isnt even necessary on flat ground. Why would even consider putting that slippery material in your resort, ESPECIALLY ONE WITH A WATERPARK! I talked to the guest relations manager and she was not interested at all in our problem and talked like she was reading out of a manual. She said that her boss who was the main manager was in a meeting and that he would give us a call as soon as he was out at noon.
We decided just to go out to lunch and come back. By the time we got back at about 12:15 we hadnt gotten a call from him and we asked the woman again if we could speak with him. She informed us that he had entered another meeting and would give us a call after that one!!!!
It is now a week later and we have been getting the run-around since our stay. We ended up talking to the "main" manager and he was the most unfriendly, uncaring, and unprofessional person i had ever spoken with. The whole resort displays the personality of their "boss". I will never stay there again and even though i like the one in wisconsin dells, i will never stay there again just for principle.

• Liked — The rooms were average
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Please stay away from this resort, it is not worth the amount they charge
11 Thank kb1985
Leamington, Ontario , Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2006

My wife and I, along with my 3 children aged 4,7 and 9 went to Kalahari, Sandusky on July 23rd,2006. This is a very impressive
resort as far as appearance and activities. But that is as far as it goes. The majority of the employees lack professionalism and communication skills that are needed to provide adequate customer service.

Upon our arrival, I mistakenly drove on the valet side of the entance. We were rudely approached by an obnoxious valet parking attendant who rolled his eyes , shook his head in disgust and told me "How could I be on the valet side with a sign in front of my face!" First of all, it is easy to get distracted with 3 excited kids in the car. Secondly, who cares if I drove through valet 20 times. A resort that charges their customers so much should treat their customers like royalty. Instead, I was embarrased and belittled by a skinny white man in his mid 40's with an ego problem. This initial experience gave me an impression as to what to expect from this resort. Almost everyone who works here has an attitude problem. The lifeguards all have disgruntled ,sad looks on their faces. The food workers look like they are doing you a favour by serving you. It is ridiculous. By the way, the Flowrider attraction is a catastrophe in the making. My wife got catapulted into the hard wall and received cuts and bruises on both knees. The attendants were oblivious to her struggle to get up . No one offered medical assistance , not even an ice pack. Again , this gives you an idea as to the unprofessional service that is here.It is just a matter of time before someone hits that wall headfirst. If that happens, you can receive a life threatening injury. Kids should not be allowed on this dangerous ride.

Other dissapointments were that our room smelled like a smoking room even though it was non-smoking. The air conditioner and fridge did not work properly. The air conditioner was off when we entered the hot room and that probably contributed to the bad smell. Their are only 2 channels on the television for kids, even though this resort is supposed to be geared towards them. We complained to the front desk about the smell and received lame excuses.

It is very obvious that the employees are not trained properly in communicating with customers. If you make a mistake and come to this place, just make sure to avoid anyone who works here, unless absolutely necessary. This resort needs a human resources department that actually knows how to train employees. They need to go down to the resorts in Disneyworld or in Mexico to learn how to act around customers. If they can do this, this place could be a world class resort. But for now, it is just a one star hotel that thinks that having a few waterslides makes you a superb resort. In reality, the best resorts are the ones that treat customer like royalty.

The people who are giving this resort good reviews probably had minimal encounters with workers or management. They probably checked in, had no problems, and avoided or ignored everone here. In summary, it is a shame that such a beautiful resort will eventually be run into the ground because of the egotistical , inbred behaviour of the workers who operate it.

• Liked — our deparure
  • Disliked — our entrance
  • Tips/Secrets — Spend your money somehere else where it is appreciated.
20 Thank tannoujohn
cary, nc
Reviewed 29 July 2006

We had done our research ahead of time and had booked the Kalahari based upon the fact that it seemed family friendly and had an indoor water park. We were pleasantly surprised to find a african theme that was tastefully done. It was a very nice hotel with friendly staff, well maintained facilities and nicely appointed rooms.

Our group consisted of two teenage boys (14 and 15), our 25 year old son and a 9 year old daughter. Everyone enjoyed the waterpark including us adults!

The waterpark being indoors without having to worry about sunburn and being able to feel safe with your children hanging out there was a major plus for us.

I would highly recommend this hotel in every aspect, with the exception of the prices at the onsite restaurants, which was to be expected. We ate off site for all of our meals and saved a lot of money.

• Liked — I liked the fact that it was not your run of the mill hotel, I liked the motif
  • Disliked — Sandusky doesn't have a lot to offer other than the resort and Cedar Point
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat your meals off site
6 Thank butterflyjohnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!