“Don't stay here under any circumstances.”
Review of Value Inn Sandusky

Value Inn Sandusky
Value Inn Sandusky
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Smithton, Pennsylvania
“Don't stay here under any circumstances.”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We checked in and saw the place up close and it kinda made us shiver a little bit. It was really that bad. Upon opening the door to our cave, we were immediately slammed by a foul stench of stale cigarettes and possibly some errant feces. It was a little bit more than an acquired taste. I laid down on the "bed" to take a nap. All of a sudden, my girlfriend woke me up to notify me that there was semen on the ground in the bathroom. I then noticed that right above the broken mirror in front of the sink was a ventilation fan that looked like it had possibly swallowed an entire cat. There was hair and fur all over it and it may have been punched or broken at some point. She continued to take a shower in the yellow and nasty stall with black spots all over the floor that resembled bugs. The water changes from hot to cold for seemingly no reason. It's okay because the flow is impeded by 50 years worth of hard water buildup, which was just so appetizing. After you dry yourself off with the chintzy dollar store towels, you'll feel like you have just received a bad case of athlete's foot off the unwashed and gross bathroom floor. It's hard to maneuver yourself out of the bathroom because it's the size of a small closet. Try not to turn the lights on in the motel room for 2 reasons. The first would be because you might see all the rust on the lights by the side of the bed, or the ceiling lamp itself may just make you vomit. The other reason would be so that no one knows you're there and tries to break in. We decided to leave for dinner and on our way out, 2 friendly locals smoking cigarettes outside and drinking hard liquor straight out of the bottle gave us a great "Sandusky, Ohio Welcome" by proceeding to stare at us as we walked to our car. When we returned, we were about to go in and take photos of the dump to put up on review sites. Now the nice locals were gone but their friend was punching the door of their room and on the phone demanding his money. We started packing and when we got back outside, there he was again, this time inside the room tearing it apart looking for the money and screaming at his cell phone. We were too afraid to stick around to take photos so we proceeded to drive 4 hours to Pittsburgh to get home because it was really that bad. Don't stay here under any circumstances, you will undoubtedly regret your decision. And the best part is what happened afterwards. We had only been in the room for about 1 hour all told. We asked for a refund and the motel denied it. I'm sure we got our $33 out of it from taking 2 whole showers.

TL;DR

Do not stay here unless you want to be afraid for your life.

Room Tip: Try another hotel if you want a good room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank hotelilluminati

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Cons:
- no lock on bathroom door
- no toiletries
- painful spring beds
- shabby room and hotel impression
- smells
- 0 value for money (spent $55/night)

please stay away from this motel.

Room Tip: just stay away
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank cedarpt

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Riverview, MI
Reviewed 19 August 2008

This is the most digusting hotel I have ever stayed in. We checked in as the office was closing, so it was too late to make any changes. The bedspreads were filthy. There were no blankets on the beds. There was urine on the toilet. There was no deadbolt or chain on the door. Someone tried to enter the room from an attaching door to the office very early in the morning. We paid $90 for 2 double beds and that was way too much money for a filthy pit!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Filthy
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank TravelerRiverview_MI
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2007

I have always been able to put my trust in Hotwire to find me a decent place to stay. NEVER AGAIN will I make the mistake of choosing a 1 star hotel to save a few bucks.

This place was a mess!!! The room smelled disgusting, the lamp was missing a lightbulb, the bathroom was literally falling apart. The shower was filthy and the shower bar was falling off the wall. The water in the shower fluctuated between cool and scalding hot. (Perhaps when people in the other rooms flushed their toilets?)

The bedding did not feel very clean (I was so glad I brought my own pillow!)

Basically the place was a dump. The only things that did not make me go screaming in the other direction were that I had already paid for the room, I was 7 hours from home, and I was dead tired after spending the day at Cedar Point.

The only positive things about this place were the inexpensive price and convenient location. (About 5 minutes from the park.) Other than that, it was the worst place I have ever laid my head for the night.

• Liked — Close to Cedar Point.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed July 2007
6 Thank clintopia
Lisle Illinois (Chicago Suburb)
Reviewed 6 August 2007

Ok, with the name Value Inn, I guess you wouldn't expect a five star hotel, but what we did get was rediculous. I see other reviews (which I wish I had read previously) agree with me. Here it goes...

First off, upon check in we were presented with credit card slips ready for a signiture. I have never heard of actually charging the credit card prior to arrival. This amount was also different from what was quoted on Expedia, so we had no way of knowing of legitimate or illegitamte hotel charges already applied. We had booked two rooms, one single room and one with double bed. The single room was very small and both rooms were VERY DIRTY.

Between the two rooms there had to be at least 12 spiders and other insects. Towels were folded in the bathroom, but used soap remained in the shower. The carpet did not appear to be vacuumed and both rooms had a musty odor. The walls were in desperate need of repair; the rooms did not appear to have been cleaned or maintained in some time.

We asked management for new rooms since we did not feel comfortable in these assigned rooms. We received new assigments which were only SLIGHTLY better. In the double room we now had ceiling cavings inthe bathroom, no batteries in the remote control, light bulbs missing from lamps, a sheet under the door connecting our room to the office.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to my enemies. The condition of the hotel is terrible, the staff is not helpful and I don't believe housekeeping works everyday since we had to request new towels, did not get toliet paper replaced, and garbage was not taken out. Please, don't let the name fool you...it is not worth the aggrivation to save a few dollars.

• Liked — It was close to Cedar Point
  • Disliked — The condition and cleanliness of the rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ajayz9
Springboro, Ohio
Reviewed 27 July 2007

This place was very dirty. Not only that but we killed spiders and earwigs right in our room. The keys to the doors don't work right and you have to jiggle them and force them back out of the slots.

Biggest problem was just how filthy it was, hairs in the tub, old worn bedspreads, rooms smelled bad. I overheard the guy at the desk tell two men who came in there were no smoking rooms left for that night but then he could fix that and handed them an ashtray.

They had an announcement that they now had free wireless internet. They didn't tell us till we were in our rooms that it was only in their lobby. We never got it to work in the lobby, tried for 3 days.

• Liked — Everything else around Cedar Point that weekend was like $110 a night, they were $55. Good price, very nice staff.
  • Disliked — Old, run down, looks like the owners just don't want to put any money into it.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank gliattitd
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 July 2006

made reservation through orbitz cancelled a week in advance still charged on my credit card- owner refuses to remove charge says I never cancelled even though I have the proof from orbitz

Stayed July 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Magnuson Hotel East Sandusky
Quality Inn Cedar Point
Budget Host Inn
Budget Host Inn
#21 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Value Inn Sandusky? Share your experiences!