“Nothing good to say.”

Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
elkhart
“Nothing good to say.”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Arrived at 6pm no one in office. Found a housekeeper they let me in my room and said they would bring the key when the clerk came back. That clerk did not get there until close to midnight at which point I was asleep and they woke me. The next morning I asked for directions to Amtrak and the clerk sent me in the wrong direction on foot (as I was walking there). Very noisy and dead bugs on the B/R floor.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE. Wish i took a pic of the dead bugs but did not.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank esfes1025

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 23 September 2012

this place is DISGUSTING. my cousin and i went there this weekend for a road trip to cederpoint. before getting there we already gave our credit card number to reserve a room. upon getting there at 2am we informed him we knew we were early for the 11am check in and wanted to know if there was anyway possible to get into our room early he told us "20 dollars for a deposit and 20 dollars for coming early" we were okay with this as we had just driven 8 hours and wanted to sleep before getting to ceder point at 11am. when we first drove up i tried convincing my cousin to sleep in the car in a parking lot somewhere. the motel locals were all peeping out their windows as we pulled up, and a strange legless man in a wheel chair was staring us down while whisting a tune, mind you its 2 in the morning. upon entering our room we quickly notice the door frame is bigger than the door so there is about a 2 inch gap between the door and the frame. the door was so far away from the frame that the janky slide lock wouldnt reach and the door would not lock. We decided to laugh our horrible luck off and just get some sleep thinking about the fin we would have the next day. We went to turn the A/C on but we should have known that wouldnt work, it was wrapped in duct tape i dont know what that was supposed to fix but it didnt even turn on so we snuggled the plastic bed sheets in our sauna of a room. the roaring of the train right behind our room lulled us to sleep as it passed through every 20-25 minutes. the next morning we decided it would be nice to freshen up and take showers intill we saw the mold and small inscects creeping from the drain, the shower head was also falling out of the wall with nothing holding it up. so we just skipped a shower got dressed and headed for ceder point, we ended up leaving very early from ceder point for unrelated reasons. we got back to the hotel at 2pm and upon entering out room got stopped by a hindu worker who couldnt speak english to save his life, he proceded asking us if we were room 16 and told us we needed to go see the manager immedietly, by this time i was freaked out and i jut wanted to get my things and leave and go home early i wasnt staying in that place another second, i told the man we were grabbing our things and we would be leaving he yelled at me and told me i could not go in and i needed to go the the office. When we got the the office the manager informed us that our credit card was deined for the second night. we only stayed for a total of 13 hours. we told him we were only staying one night and we gave him 20 dollars for coming early. he couldn't speak English either but told us we paid the 20 dollar deposit and 20 dollar check in early for the room because our card had denied BEFORE we got there. After arguing for awhile we decided to just drop it turn in our key and leave, but we couldnt understand why our card denied? So we let him keep the 40 dollars and left. On the way home we called her card holder to figure out what was going on and who would have thought our card was charged 2 times, 40 dollars each time and i just gave this man 40 dollars, so really i should have stayed there 3 nights! So i have a whole nother fight to pick with this place after them extremely overcharging me. But on the upside, the way home was getting tiring so we pulled into a days in. We sat in the hot tub swam a bit, slept like babies and came home well rested.

Room Tip: dont go here!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank Adam Mundane H

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Smithton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We checked in and saw the place up close and it kinda made us shiver a little bit. It was really that bad. Upon opening the door to our cave, we were immediately slammed by a foul stench of stale cigarettes and possibly some errant feces. It was a little bit more than an acquired taste. I laid down on the "bed" to take a nap. All of a sudden, my girlfriend woke me up to notify me that there was semen on the ground in the bathroom. I then noticed that right above the broken mirror in front of the sink was a ventilation fan that looked like it had possibly swallowed an entire cat. There was hair and fur all over it and it may have been punched or broken at some point. She continued to take a shower in the yellow and nasty stall with black spots all over the floor that resembled bugs. The water changes from hot to cold for seemingly no reason. It's okay because the flow is impeded by 50 years worth of hard water buildup, which was just so appetizing. After you dry yourself off with the chintzy dollar store towels, you'll feel like you have just received a bad case of athlete's foot off the unwashed and gross bathroom floor. It's hard to maneuver yourself out of the bathroom because it's the size of a small closet. Try not to turn the lights on in the motel room for 2 reasons. The first would be because you might see all the rust on the lights by the side of the bed, or the ceiling lamp itself may just make you vomit. The other reason would be so that no one knows you're there and tries to break in. We decided to leave for dinner and on our way out, 2 friendly locals smoking cigarettes outside and drinking hard liquor straight out of the bottle gave us a great "Sandusky, Ohio Welcome" by proceeding to stare at us as we walked to our car. When we returned, we were about to go in and take photos of the dump to put up on review sites. Now the nice locals were gone but their friend was punching the door of their room and on the phone demanding his money. We started packing and when we got back outside, there he was again, this time inside the room tearing it apart looking for the money and screaming at his cell phone. We were too afraid to stick around to take photos so we proceeded to drive 4 hours to Pittsburgh to get home because it was really that bad. Don't stay here under any circumstances, you will undoubtedly regret your decision. And the best part is what happened afterwards. We had only been in the room for about 1 hour all told. We asked for a refund and the motel denied it. I'm sure we got our $33 out of it from taking 2 whole showers.

TL;DR

Do not stay here unless you want to be afraid for your life.

Room Tip: Try another hotel if you want a good room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank hotelilluminati
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Cons:
- no lock on bathroom door
- no toiletries
- painful spring beds
- shabby room and hotel impression
- smells
- 0 value for money (spent $55/night)

please stay away from this motel.

Room Tip: just stay away
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank cedarpt
Riverview, MI
Reviewed 19 August 2008

This is the most digusting hotel I have ever stayed in. We checked in as the office was closing, so it was too late to make any changes. The bedspreads were filthy. There were no blankets on the beds. There was urine on the toilet. There was no deadbolt or chain on the door. Someone tried to enter the room from an attaching door to the office very early in the morning. We paid $90 for 2 double beds and that was way too much money for a filthy pit!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Filthy
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank TravelerRiverview_MI
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2007

I have always been able to put my trust in Hotwire to find me a decent place to stay. NEVER AGAIN will I make the mistake of choosing a 1 star hotel to save a few bucks.

This place was a mess!!! The room smelled disgusting, the lamp was missing a lightbulb, the bathroom was literally falling apart. The shower was filthy and the shower bar was falling off the wall. The water in the shower fluctuated between cool and scalding hot. (Perhaps when people in the other rooms flushed their toilets?)

The bedding did not feel very clean (I was so glad I brought my own pillow!)

Basically the place was a dump. The only things that did not make me go screaming in the other direction were that I had already paid for the room, I was 7 hours from home, and I was dead tired after spending the day at Cedar Point.

The only positive things about this place were the inexpensive price and convenient location. (About 5 minutes from the park.) Other than that, it was the worst place I have ever laid my head for the night.

• Liked — Close to Cedar Point.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed July 2007
6 Thank clintopia
Lisle Illinois (Chicago Suburb)
Reviewed 6 August 2007

Ok, with the name Value Inn, I guess you wouldn't expect a five star hotel, but what we did get was rediculous. I see other reviews (which I wish I had read previously) agree with me. Here it goes...

First off, upon check in we were presented with credit card slips ready for a signiture. I have never heard of actually charging the credit card prior to arrival. This amount was also different from what was quoted on Expedia, so we had no way of knowing of legitimate or illegitamte hotel charges already applied. We had booked two rooms, one single room and one with double bed. The single room was very small and both rooms were VERY DIRTY.

Between the two rooms there had to be at least 12 spiders and other insects. Towels were folded in the bathroom, but used soap remained in the shower. The carpet did not appear to be vacuumed and both rooms had a musty odor. The walls were in desperate need of repair; the rooms did not appear to have been cleaned or maintained in some time.

We asked management for new rooms since we did not feel comfortable in these assigned rooms. We received new assigments which were only SLIGHTLY better. In the double room we now had ceiling cavings inthe bathroom, no batteries in the remote control, light bulbs missing from lamps, a sheet under the door connecting our room to the office.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to my enemies. The condition of the hotel is terrible, the staff is not helpful and I don't believe housekeeping works everyday since we had to request new towels, did not get toliet paper replaced, and garbage was not taken out. Please, don't let the name fool you...it is not worth the aggrivation to save a few dollars.

• Liked — It was close to Cedar Point
  • Disliked — The condition and cleanliness of the rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends