Maples Motel
Melrose Motel(Sandusky)
  • Pool
Sleep Inn(Sandusky)
View Hotel
All reviewsdonuts and coffeecedar pointthe owner's sonmom and poptrains runtube tvkids loved the pooljoanearplugsgablespark
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I have been a frequent visitor to Cedar Point for over 20 years. I've traveled many other places and try to seek out accommodations such as the Maples - small, privately owned, charming, with unusal appeal. Though I have found many such places, there is nowhere I'd rather be than the Maples Motel. I'm just lucky that it happens to be near Cedar Point, a regular destination - in fact, after so many years, I look to my time at the Maples and the atmosphere there as much as Cedar Point itself. It is truly an idyllic place - surrounded by wide open grassy fields, greenery, the wetlands of far east Sandusky Bay close behind the property. As much as the commercial strips in and around Sandusky are packed, illuminated, and crowded, it is amazing how the Maples can be so close to Cedar Point yet so removed from the noise. Just the thought of laying around the pool or on a shady corner of the wide lawn, hearing nothing but birds & bugs in the breeze, makes me ache for summer.

We first spotted the Maples on the way out of town in September 1992. It looked so cozy and adorable, we called the next year and had our first stay in August 1993. Over the last 17 years there have been more return trips than I can count, with various companions in all types of rooms, but TA's rules say I must keep my review to one visit...so I'll base this on our last stay, in the last week of August 2010.

We had a double room. The furniture is classic - high-60s Danish modern look, though I won't say old, as it is all in mint condition. The beds themselves could not have been more than a couple of years old, they are very comfortable. Carpeting is new, paint is recent, everythings works just as it should, from the TV to the plumbing. There is a high wall-mounted air conditioner in the rear of the room that does a great job of keeping things cool, which I absolutely require. Everything - the floors, furniture, bathroom - is spotlessly clean, without reeking of powerful cleaning potions or cover-up fragrances, as some hotels try to get away with. The very adequate housekeeping staff is busy at work from early in the morning, but never too distracted to give a friendly hello. The Maples isn't nearly big enough to run a restaurant or a breakfast buffet, but Joan, the owner, runs out every morning at dawn for fresh doughnuts and fires up the coffee pot in the office. And if I did not say so already, the setting is just heavenly - which is the best antidote to a long day of all the noise and energy of Cedar Point. Joan and her family are always available for advice on local well-kept secrets for dining out and things to do in the area.

Anything negative? Not for me, but some people may find the railroad line across the road an overnight nuisance. They're very honest about it, and there are always earplugs available upon request. If it's a deal-breaker for you, then it is what it is. I can sleep through anything...in fact, sometimes a long freighter will have a rhythmic effect on me, and I'd swear some of those trains are so long that the engine is almost to Toledo while the caboose is still in Pennsylvania. It's when they're gone and the sound stops that I'll wake up. Actually, last time the train and the grade crossing bell did wake me up, then I immediately remembered where I was, and was instantly happy. The train is so NOT an issue for me that the comfort of the room and bed balance it out enough for me to give the Maples a 5 for sleep quality, along with everything else.

It's almost a footnote that the rates are unbeatable, but they are certainly on the lower end of what you'd find elsewhere around Sandusky. Perhaps the location off the strip may be the reason, but the motel is just a few hundred years from the entrance to the Cedar Point Chausee - that's the long way out to the park, along the narrow three-mile strip along the lakefront that anchors the peninsula to the mainland and kept away from the traffic of the main causeway entrance. It is a slower ride, but very scenic and leisurely and a mood-transformer on the way back, worth checking out at least once during your stay.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about the Maples Motel and the people who run the place. I am already looking forward to my next visit in June 2011.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask, there are several room types.
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carpetcrawler
Reviewed 25 October 2010

This is the third time at the Maples Motel. We discovered this quaint Mom and Pop when we just didn't feel like paying Cedar Point prices for hotels anymore. This is the second review I've written because I just can't seem to say enough good things about this place! We went for a Halloweekend at CP and this time we took my in-laws along. We had already fallen in love with this little motel and we wanted some of the rest of the family to experience it. They fell in love with it too! As we sat at the outside tables, having refreshments, watching the trains and enjoying each other's company, we were tempted to not even go to busy CP. I can't even begin to say enough about the owners. They are friendly beyond compare! You just don't get personal service like that at a chain hotel! The price is right, of course too! We even took a break from the point to return to the motel for order out pizza and had a blast eating pizza and relaxing before returning to the chaos of the park. Being just a few miles from the entrance makes this possible. Hmmmm....anything negative? Can't think of a thing. We love the Maples Motel. Our little car doesn't even need the GPS anymore, it just knows the way there.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank bparker44
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed at this quaint very nice motel with a beautifal outdoor pool the l;ast weekend of September. Our friends were very impressed as we have been. The owners could not do enough for us, they served a complimentary continental breakfast, with wonderful coffee. WE called earlier in they day to tell them we were in town and would be later than I originaly told them and they said our rooms were ready and waiting. This is a very nostaligic motel that is older but as clean as they can make it. You even still have a KEY to unlock the doors. We had a refrigerator in our room in addition to the tv with cable. There are no phones which make it very nice. The owners are absolutely the most friendly people you can meet, and can not do enough for you. We plan on returning next year again, this is our new home away from home and is located close to all the activities but is far enough out off the road that you enjoy it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2010

If you love corporate chains that all look alike, don't bother.
My husband and I love taking road trips and avoid corporate chain motels whenever possible, which is one of the reasons we chose to stay at The Maples Motel. When we discovered that they had a few old cottages from back in the day, aka Sun Set Lodge we jumped at the chance to stay in them. When we arrived we were greeted by Joan, who owns and operates The Maples and Daisy her dog. They were very gracious and friendly and helpful. Our "cottages" (we had a friend join us) were quite basic and rustic-- just right for adventure sleeping! They reminded me of a camp in the woods! A couple beds, clean sheets every day, a table, color TV with cable and hot showers! All a person really needs if you don't plan on spending a lot of time in the room! There is a small, well maintained swimming pool on the premises and a basketball hoop. Joan keeps a couple of basketballs in the office that can be signed out if you want to use them. A train runs past the motel several times a day, but it also goes past the sterile corporate chain motels on the same road. The Maples is about a mile from the Cedar Point Causeway, and downtown Sandusky which makes it great for families or those wishing to explore the Lake Erie Islands.

We are definitely returning to have the mid-century modern motel experience !

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

My husband and I along with our 2 yr old and mother in law, stayed at the Maple's Motel this past wkend for 1 night. Rooms have old good quality furniture. We stayed in Room #2. It was perfect for us. Mother in law had the front room and we took the backroom that had 2 single beds and a double. Owners are very hospitable and great with directions. I believe if you go into this hotel with an open mind that it is not like a chain hotel, you won't be disappointed. Its away from the crazieness of st rt 250, but close enough you can go shopping and eat.
Only flaw we experienced were the trains. I grew up with train tracks in my backyard and didn't think it would be THAT bad. On the friday night we stayed, a train went by at least 8 times. It blows its horn right in front of the hotel and flies by. I suggest taking a fan for noise to block the sounds. Our box ac ran the whole time and we could still hear it.
Pros
Easy access to cedar point and a back road way to get there with beautiful scenery
Cheap stay, ours was $70
small mini fridge, clean in ground pool with chairs, clean bathroom
Very friendly owners, unlike the "you are bugging me" attitudes you get at front desk at major hotel chains.
Ice box located outside, free coffee and donuts in the morning.
cons
the trains thru the nite
our room had just a small shower
closet door (or we thought it was a closet door, maybe it was the entrance to the next room?) was stuck

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family