“LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Maples Motel!!!”
Review of Maples Motel

and 1 more site!
Maples Motel
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
detroit
“LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Maples Motel!!!”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

On our recent trip to Cedar Point, we were lucky enough to have booked a family suite at The Maples Motel. With the very first look you know that this place is special; it's like stepping back in time.

The owner and her son make you feel like a part of their family and DEFINATELY go out of their way to make sure that you are comfortable and want for nothing. The rooms are just too cute!!! I call the decor "retro" instead of old. Everything was clean, tidy and no bugs!! The water pressure for showers was like being at home. TV, AC and little frig all in working order. The beds ... omg the beds were so comfy I slept like a baby.

What about the trains you ask ... really, no big deal. To me, they added to the charm of the surroundings. A couple of short whistles for traffic and the train speeds on by. Inside the rooms with the TV and AC going you barely hear them.

We did not have trouble with cell phone signals nor the internet in our room.

Joan and Steve are just too precious for words. Even Miss Daisy (dog) and Mr Fred (cat) are only too happy to let you pet them if you miss your furbabies back home. My hubby and I were already in agreement that we would love to stay there again even if we don't do Cedar Point ... it's a nice relaxing place to just 'hang out'!!

Treat yourself and stay at the Maples ... I'm glad that we did!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank rebel1b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
JC
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Stayed here two nights with 3 gals for it's proximity to Cedar Point and for the extremely fair cost. We were late arrivals, but Steve was kind enough to leave us an easily accessible key. In the morning we checked in quickly and proceeded with our day of coasters.

Yes the train is very near, but after a long day of driving or running around the park, you have to be sensitive to notice. We slept like the dead. As a matter of fact we slept past 9 am, on check out day.

As for the room it's old, so nothing here can be spotless due to age and use, but clean enough for resting and sleep. Plenty of hot water for 4 showers and extra towels were easy to get. AC worked great, as did the TV. Only minor issue is cel phone service is non existent in room. Not a deal breaker when you can just step outside. If we ever hit this area again, we'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ultimaterelaxer
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Great location. Stayed two nights with friends and no one even noticed the trains. The owners are very friendly and will make sure everything is comfortable. COmplimentary donuts and coffee in the morning. Fresh towels. And price couldn't be beat!

Note: we didn't get cell-phone or internet service in the room, but when you step outside you can make phone calls.

Room Tip: Four friends: rent a couple double beds and share!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Holt, Michigan
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I really wanted to like this adorable roadside yesteryear motel. The owners were accomodating and left our door propped open when we said we'd be arriving late and my husband met the lady and said she was sweet. That said, the one queen room was tiny with a dorm fridge that kept drinks coolish on the coldest setting. The shower stall is tiny with barely a dribble of water the first night and a little more the second. It has one of those sinks that you have to hold on to keep the water flowing and that makes brushing teeth difficult. The shower stall had mold all along the bottom tiles, and there was moldy, peeling wallpaper all around the a/c unit.

Here's the worst part. I did not slepp at all the first night because the train horns blared EVERY 30 minutes. I read about the trains and thought it was a bunch of exaggeration. NO. They are loud and frequent. Second night was much better, but the third kicked back up a notch.

They have internet, but everyone with a laptop was sitting outside because the signal won't reach in the room. One of our Sprint cellphones got no signal inside, as well.

I like old, but old can also be functional. This place was lacking in the basics: a place to sleep and wash. Pay $10 more and stay at a chain. At least you'll sleep.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Janie S
Villas, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I have been a frequent visitor to Cedar Point for over 20 years. I've traveled many other places and try to seek out accommodations such as the Maples - small, privately owned, charming, with unusal appeal. Though I have found many such places, there is nowhere I'd rather be than the Maples Motel. I'm just lucky that it happens to be near Cedar Point, a regular destination - in fact, after so many years, I look to my time at the Maples and the atmosphere there as much as Cedar Point itself. It is truly an idyllic place - surrounded by wide open grassy fields, greenery, the wetlands of far east Sandusky Bay close behind the property. As much as the commercial strips in and around Sandusky are packed, illuminated, and crowded, it is amazing how the Maples can be so close to Cedar Point yet so removed from the noise. Just the thought of laying around the pool or on a shady corner of the wide lawn, hearing nothing but birds & bugs in the breeze, makes me ache for summer.

We first spotted the Maples on the way out of town in September 1992. It looked so cozy and adorable, we called the next year and had our first stay in August 1993. Over the last 17 years there have been more return trips than I can count, with various companions in all types of rooms, but TA's rules say I must keep my review to one visit...so I'll base this on our last stay, in the last week of August 2010.

We had a double room. The furniture is classic - high-60s Danish modern look, though I won't say old, as it is all in mint condition. The beds themselves could not have been more than a couple of years old, they are very comfortable. Carpeting is new, paint is recent, everythings works just as it should, from the TV to the plumbing. There is a high wall-mounted air conditioner in the rear of the room that does a great job of keeping things cool, which I absolutely require. Everything - the floors, furniture, bathroom - is spotlessly clean, without reeking of powerful cleaning potions or cover-up fragrances, as some hotels try to get away with. The very adequate housekeeping staff is busy at work from early in the morning, but never too distracted to give a friendly hello. The Maples isn't nearly big enough to run a restaurant or a breakfast buffet, but Joan, the owner, runs out every morning at dawn for fresh doughnuts and fires up the coffee pot in the office. And if I did not say so already, the setting is just heavenly - which is the best antidote to a long day of all the noise and energy of Cedar Point. Joan and her family are always available for advice on local well-kept secrets for dining out and things to do in the area.

Anything negative? Not for me, but some people may find the railroad line across the road an overnight nuisance. They're very honest about it, and there are always earplugs available upon request. If it's a deal-breaker for you, then it is what it is. I can sleep through anything...in fact, sometimes a long freighter will have a rhythmic effect on me, and I'd swear some of those trains are so long that the engine is almost to Toledo while the caboose is still in Pennsylvania. It's when they're gone and the sound stops that I'll wake up. Actually, last time the train and the grade crossing bell did wake me up, then I immediately remembered where I was, and was instantly happy. The train is so NOT an issue for me that the comfort of the room and bed balance it out enough for me to give the Maples a 5 for sleep quality, along with everything else.

It's almost a footnote that the rates are unbeatable, but they are certainly on the lower end of what you'd find elsewhere around Sandusky. Perhaps the location off the strip may be the reason, but the motel is just a few hundred years from the entrance to the Cedar Point Chausee - that's the long way out to the park, along the narrow three-mile strip along the lakefront that anchors the peninsula to the mainland and kept away from the traffic of the main causeway entrance. It is a slower ride, but very scenic and leisurely and a mood-transformer on the way back, worth checking out at least once during your stay.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about the Maples Motel and the people who run the place. I am already looking forward to my next visit in June 2011.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask, there are several room types.
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carpetcrawler
Indiana
Reviewed 25 October 2010

This is the third time at the Maples Motel. We discovered this quaint Mom and Pop when we just didn't feel like paying Cedar Point prices for hotels anymore. This is the second review I've written because I just can't seem to say enough good things about this place! We went for a Halloweekend at CP and this time we took my in-laws along. We had already fallen in love with this little motel and we wanted some of the rest of the family to experience it. They fell in love with it too! As we sat at the outside tables, having refreshments, watching the trains and enjoying each other's company, we were tempted to not even go to busy CP. I can't even begin to say enough about the owners. They are friendly beyond compare! You just don't get personal service like that at a chain hotel! The price is right, of course too! We even took a break from the point to return to the motel for order out pizza and had a blast eating pizza and relaxing before returning to the chaos of the park. Being just a few miles from the entrance makes this possible. Hmmmm....anything negative? Can't think of a thing. We love the Maples Motel. Our little car doesn't even need the GPS anymore, it just knows the way there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank bparker44
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed at this quaint very nice motel with a beautifal outdoor pool the l;ast weekend of September. Our friends were very impressed as we have been. The owners could not do enough for us, they served a complimentary continental breakfast, with wonderful coffee. WE called earlier in they day to tell them we were in town and would be later than I originaly told them and they said our rooms were ready and waiting. This is a very nostaligic motel that is older but as clean as they can make it. You even still have a KEY to unlock the doors. We had a refrigerator in our room in addition to the tv with cable. There are no phones which make it very nice. The owners are absolutely the most friendly people you can meet, and can not do enough for you. We plan on returning next year again, this is our new home away from home and is located close to all the activities but is far enough out off the road that you enjoy it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends