“Second trip to the Maples Motel will not be the last.”
Review of Maples Motel

and 1 more site!
Maples Motel
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
NC
“Second trip to the Maples Motel will not be the last.”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This is my second stay at the Maples Motel. I spent the entire week there while practicing for a bass tournament. Since I was alone I had room 6 which has 1 queen bed. The room does have a window unit AC but it kept the room cold. There is also a mini fridge which really came in handy for my length of stay. The rooms have cable TV and they supply the basic hotel soaps. You will need to bring shampoo and a clock if you need one. The shower is strong and has plenty of hot water. The train across the street does run through the night, so if you are a light sleeper like I am bring ear plugs. The staff was great, they allowed me to park my rig behind the garage and they asked how my day was every day when I came back in. You just can't get any better than that. I will be back next season when I go back up.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank mcbasstracker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I've been in the hospitality industry and customer service for over 20 years and I can assure you , no where will you find a friendlier staff than at The Maples Motel in Sandusky, Ohio. Awesome prices don't hurt either. The room was exactly what we needed for our Labor Day weekend. Awesome cold air conditioning, a mini fridge for our drinks and restraunt leftovers, and delicious bakery fresh dougnuts and coffee in the office each morning, along with a sparkling pool open til 11PM if you wanna swim or soak your feet after a day of walking at the parks. We WILL return to this wonderful piece of history on our next adventure to the Lake! Do not miss out on this landmark establishment!

Room Tip: To reserve a room, you'll need to call and speak to the actual staff, which is a family owned bu...
2 Thank Jordanfamilytravels
Ontario Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I have travelled extensively and stayed in everything from an 18 dollar a night room in Barstow to the Presidential Suite at the St Regis Grand in Rome. When I look back on my various travel destinations it is not often that I associate my hotel stay as part of the memory or experience. This would be an exception. My daughter and I travelled from Canada to spend 2 days at Cedar Point. We ended up staying at the Maples....This location is great, it's old but very clean and feels like you have taken a step back in time a few decades. The owners are genuinely nice and go out of their way to make you feel at home. Before going read up on the history of this little gem and the family that has run it since WW2

3 Thank stegby
Dunmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed here during a cedar point trip. This hotel is an excellent substitute for staying inside the parks at Cedar Point. It is right off the major road, has a pool and some nature areas on site, and it an overall old-timey feel to it.
Granted the train does run across the street (I'm a heavy sleeper and couldn't be bothered), and the hotel is a little worse for ware. However the service, and family run operations made up for this.

I plan on returning here on my next trip up that way.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul R
Guelph, Ontario
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My son and I stayed here for 2 nights on the Labour Day weekend for $162 total as we were going to Cedar Point. Our room had 2 double beds, fridge and colour TV. There is an outdoor pool as well. The Maples Motel is everything you need. It is clean, affordable and close to Cedar Point. You would expect a motel with this many years under it's belt to be dated or run down. Instead, you feel as though you have gone back in time to when this place first started. Yes, the decor is from the 60's/70"s, but it looks new. The train tracks are close by, so I can't recommend it for light sleepers, but it didn't bother us. Free coffee and donuts at the office each morning. The Maples is very well maintained. What sets it apart is the ownership. You just can't beat a genuine, friendly person that wants the guests to enjoy their stay and come back. We were made to feel welcome and we look forward to staying at the Maples again.

1 Thank SurlySalm0n
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I took my family to this absolutely wonderful motel. We have stayed here many times and have never been disappointed. This little gems owners the Faber Family are the friendliest people you could ever want to meet. They go out of their way to make your stay most enjoyable. They have a beautifal pool with nice lounges by it, if you want to just spend the day there you can. The rooms are very clean. We stayed in the Family Suite, it was wonderful. We had a total of 4 beds between the two rooms it was exactly what we needed and the beds were very comfortable. We plan on staying a few more times this season. The location is great if you are planning on doing CP or Sandusky area attractions. After the first train went by we never really heard them again, we must have tooned them out.

Room Tip: If you have a family see about the Family Suite or attached rooms. Both of these options are great...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Christopher O
Michigan
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Well - my family and I have stayed at the Maples for 4 years now on our annual trip to Cedar Point, heck my daughter and I even bought their shirts last year, so we have most certainly been supporters of this place. However, this time I was definitely a little disappointed. I called - like a always do in late May to reserve our Family Room #1. The original week we wanted was not available so I moved our vacation back a week and went down later. When we arrived at 10;30am I was told by Steve that Room #1 had been rented to someone else the previous night!! To say I was upset is putting it mildly since I specifically asked for this room and I reserved well in advance. He seemed upset that I was upset and said well room #2 is the same and I was like I asked for #1 for a reason - in room #1 you have noone on the right side of your room so it is less likey to be bugged by noisy neighbors. He said "well do you want me to ask these people to move" and I said yes. So he proceeds to tell us that it will now take another hour to get the room vacated. We left and came back an hour later and he rudely told my husband that because we had to have people leave it will now be at least another 2 hours till we could check in(sorry not good customer service at all). The 2nd day we went to the park only to return to unmade beds, no towels, soap - it was obvious we did not get any room service at all. I made the front bed and then Joan(bless her heart) was nice enough to come down and make up the back bed and give us towels and toliet paper, etc. Now - I am not a picky person, but I felt we should of at least been given an apology for 2 days of bad service. My daughter adores this motel and I will probably return but I still feel like an apology would not have hurt or maybe even a discount on a future stay for the inconvience.

Room Tip: We always stay in Room #1, but I also looked at the little Sunset Lodge room #14 and outside of the...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family