“Honest and friendly owners.”
Review of Maples Motel

Maples Motel
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My husband and I usually stay in a range of hotels from the typical 3 star Best Western to the 5 diamond 4 Seasons resorts but we are not loosey goosey with our money. When I booked Maples I did my research because I could not understand the outrageous prices at some of the local resorts which were accompanied by bad reviews. The singular point of this trip was purely to spend every waking minute at Cedar Point Amusement Park, we didn't want a cushy room to stay up watching movies etc. We arrived on a red eye and were already exhausted. We were greeted by the very friendly owners who had been honest from the get-go saying this was not some fancy hotel, she offered ear plugs for the train to which I declined as we live in a loud downtown neighbourhood and are used to noise.
The rooms are fine. It's an older motel, the odd peeling wallpaper section or stained carpeting adds character. The place is a bit less than what I would consider to be my usual minimum standard so to feel comfortable I did a thorough check of the room and found it to be as clean as an 80 year old room can be. There were no bugs I could see and no obvious dirt that could have been mopped up. I felt 100% happy and comfortable with my choice and being as exhausted as we were we slept fairly well, mainly because we were close to being unconscious.
BUT if you are not used to a lot of noise or are not comfortable wearing ear plugs the trains are very, very, VERY loud. I actually broke down laughing because it was so loud it was comical. I thought the train was coming through the room because it has to blow its whistle as it passes the crossing just outside the hotel. But, in all fairness I read the reviews and was warned by the owners about the trains and because I was so tired I slept through most of the whistles throughout the night (about once an hour) but if I wasn’t so exhausted from travelling and Cedar Point fun during the day, I would have been tired after a night of train whistles.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amber_in_Van

Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took our three children, 9 10 and 11 on a road trip to Cedar point. When we arrived at the Maples we were very warmly greeted by the owners. At first glance I could see this was a motel from an era gone by of roadside places to stay run by families, not faceless companies. Our hosts fulfilled our every need as well as letting us in on helpful hints to make our stay in the area more enjoyable than we expected. We stayed in two different rooms over the week only because the larger room wasn't available when we were planning to arrive. We were offered the larger family room as soon as it came available though. Both rooms were clean and comfortable. The furnishings were older and more fitting to the hey days of these older motels but everything was in great condition. The beds were very comfortable and the a/c kept us cool during a very hot and humid week. The rooms also had TV and an ice machine just a few steps outside your door. After a long hot day at Cedar Point we were all happy to jump in the pool which was well kept also. The kids played basketball and had a lot of fun running around the large well kept property. I won't tell you this place is the picture of perfection and if you're looking for the Plaza hotel this wont be you're thing but if a stay at a clean well kept piece of Americana sounds appealing than dont miss this one, make a reservation as soon as possible. And by the way Steve, the kids talked about you for days. Thanks to you and Joan for the great stay.

2  Thank Ontheroadagain6575
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed at the Maples for two days in the midst of a heat wave, and it was just right. We got two rooms, and the wife, three kids and dog all were happy. Everything worked, and the rooms were clean. the pool was very nice, and the mother of the owner was very pleasant. She was like a grandma to my kids. The train didn't wake me at all. A real success!

Reviewed 17 July 2013

The Maples is a seasonal family run place. They have cabins and a regular motel. I chose to stay in the cabins as it was not going to be too hot, and it was just a quick overnight stay. So note the cabins do not have AC. They warned me that the bathroom needs updating, and it does. But I did not expect a lot as I chose the cabin. I know I would not choose a cabin on a warm night, but I just love the entire vintage setting of this place and I'm bummed this place is seasonal, as I would definitely like to stop again when I travel through town as it is a nice stopover point. Back to the cabin: Like any cabin, it is simple and old, but they do make sure everything is clean.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank NYDiners
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Just needed a place to stay after Cedar Point. No frills but the beds were comfy and the ac worked on a hot muggy July rainy evening. It was close to everything and super affordable. It was also close to everything we wanted to access. Good for one night stay.

1  Thank jeeprs
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a place to stay near Sandusky that was affordable and clean. I chose to stay outside of the Cedar Point hotels because they tend to be overcrowded and overpriced.

Upon another recommendation, we came across Maples Motel which is very close to Cedar Point.

The staff was more than accommodating, you feel at home.

The rooms are basic and clean. There is an outdoor pool which makes the stay even better.

I highly recommend. When I come back to Cedar Point, I will definitely stay here and recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Kristen750
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stayed at Maples during a visit to Cedar Point and it met our needs just fine. When visiting a theme park, not much time is spent hanging out in a hotel room anyway. It is very close and so handy to get to the park. The Maples is an older facility but has been well cared for. Beds are comfy and the rooms are very clean. For the price, you can't beat it. Cedar Point will be taking all your money, so might as well economize on lodging.Lots of guests seem to just hang out on benches in the front yard and get to know one another.We will be staying here on our next visit. The trains are loud, but the owner will give you ear plugs. Honestly it did not bother us and actually was something we laughed about.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family