“Retro little motel”

and 1 more site!
Maples Motel
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed at Maples only one night, but we would definitely stay there again if we had the chance. We stayed in one of the cabins. It reminded us of summer camp. Definitely not posh, but clean and comfortable. And we weren't bothered at all by the train. Slept very well. The owner's son checked us in and out. He was super nice and gave us a lot of information about the area and pointed us to the best breakfast place around. Very personable. I would highly recommend this place if you want something that is not a big chain, something unique yet affordable. Support local and family-owned!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Erin R
There are newer reviews for Maples Motel

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed with three friends on a Cedar Point adventure and had a fantastic time. The owners were incredibly hospitable, providing fun conversation and even offering to heat up left over pizza for us in their stove! Service was above and beyond! Absolutely an incredible stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Matt S
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Just stayed here again a few weeks ago, still as pleasant as before. We stayed in the large family room this time, quite roomy and was kept cool the whole time, though there was six people in there. I will definitely go back to this hotel. just one place I know will be great.

Room Tip: No tip needed they are all great
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank androidman
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I were looking for an inexpensive room with a convienant location. We made a trip to Sandusky to check out a sailboat we recently purchased. I found this motel on trip advisor and decided to give it a shot. As I read, the owners were very hospitable and gracious. The motel is very close to cedar point and other local attractions. It is very Nostalgic and charming. The trains didn't bother me, but if you are a light sleeper, they have earplugs in the office. The rooms are dated, but exceptionally clean and comfortable. There is also beautiful farmland surrounding the property and a nice pool. If you want to stay in a clean, comfortable room for a great value, this is the place. If you are looking for upscale accommodations, this is not for you. I highly recommend Maples! We will be back.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Rvetter2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

If you're going to stay here, you do it for the nostalgia, not for the amenities. We loved it! While driving there, our surroundings were looking more and more rural, and I joked to my husband, "Is this place in someone's backyard?" It literally is! The little motel is 90 years old and the office is in the back of the owner's house. Steve, the owner's son, took great care of us and even chatted with us for a bit when we arrived (since we're big talkers). He's friendly and accommodating. The rooms are tidy and pleasant, though a bit quirky (our shower door didn't like to stay closed and there are trains that run across the street all day and night). Also, there's a little nook in the room that was the perfect size for our toddler's travel crib. Steve had coffee and donuts for us in the office the following morning. We'll definitely stay again if we're up visiting Sandusky/Cedar Point again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My boyfriend and I came down to Sandusky for our anniversary to go to Cedar Point, and we really couldn't afford much. I work for a major chain hotel, and even with the discounts I was offered, nothing beat the price and hospitality that the Maples has. I was a little hesitant on staying here because I had never even heard of this place before TripAdvisor, but I can say for both my boyfriend and myself that this place met all of our expectations. Jo and Steve were by far the best host and hostess I have ever encountered, and Steve was even so kind as to let me use his microwave in the house for some mac and cheese. Not only that, but he also guided us on how to get into Cedar Point via the scenic back route, which was not only beautiful, but TRAFFIC FREE! It's very conveniently located, and yeah, there is a train literally a stone's throw from the motel, but I live in a town where the backyard is an Amtrak railway, so neither of us even noticed, unless we were getting held up trying to get across the tracks. The breakfast in the morning, no, it's not some five-star buffet, but it's quick, yummy, and easy on the belly when you're going to be flipping, twisting, and zooming through the sky all day. Steve and Jo did a wonderful job with our stay. The room we were in was very retro. Orange molded chairs that look straight out of a 60's TV sitcom, twist-and-hold faucets, retro bedspreads, and the coolest lighting fixtures you could imagine! The pool looked like something Marilyn Monroe should have been modeling next to. It was great! And not only all this, but Steve also gave us great pointers for local attractions and food, as well as coupons! I guess what I'm getting at is, if I ever was to recommend somewhere for a person to stay in Sandusky, the Maples will forever have my vote!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alana S
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Maybe it was our room (#8), or maybe I'm too picky, but the only thing that I can rate this a 5 on is the pool. The rooms are cheap, so I knew going in that they would not be the best. The wallpaper was in terrible shape and dirty. The American Pickers would have loved the shower faucet as it had "patina". The floor needed vacuuming better and the sheets had some minor stains. Okay - that's the bad. On the good side, there were doughnuts and fruit for breakfast that were very good. Even though the mattress had a slope in the middle, I actually slept good, and the owner was a sweet woman. I really was hoping for a better experience because I love pulling for local businesses, but unfortunately, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple