“cedar point visit”

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn - Sandusky Park N. Entrance

Reviewed 10 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
howardjohnsonexpress, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Inn - Sandusky Park N. Entrance, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Reviewed 5 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Well, I thought all the bad reviews were just picky people. I was wrong! Front desk people were polite and helpful. Room 104. Had a foot print on the door, some one tried to kick it in I guess. Door jam was rusty and beat up. Room was OK, just old. We had a nice view of the Japanese restaurant's dumpster. Bathroom, used towels were still hanging on the curtain rod behind the dirty shower curtain. While sitting on the pot, I noticed the corners had never been cleaned on the tile floor. The chamber maid did leave an envelope with her name on it???? TV was the same one I had back in 96.
The town is a depressed area, poor people getting minimum pay with no pride in their job.
We had reward points for two nights, checked out after the first night. Maybe this is what one gets for using reward points.
Second night was in Port Clinton, different hotel brand. Much better.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.........
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry that some small lapses detracted from your stay. We’re involved in a continuous improvement process designed to correct any issues and make the hotel nicer than ever before. Still, most guests are completely satisfied, and I again apologize that you were not.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I can't think of a better venue for complete and utter despair. As our society continues on its protracted downward spiral, the acceptable minimum standard of lodging in a major chain will continue to deteriorate. Perhaps there is no better sign and avatar of this trend than the Sandusky Howard Johnsons. My room stank of cigarette smoke, mould and broken dreams. There was a bar on the security bar on the window that was bent, as if someone was trying to break in to steal a mullet-comb. When I stepped into the shower, my feet left a black residue on the tub floor. This black residue originated in the carpet, and upon closer inspection, I could see footprints on the tile, which itself had that sort of tacky feel to it that is the precursor to athlete's foot, in my experience. The tub itself was some type of plastic with paint flaking off. The bed was comfortable, but there were small piles of drywall or cement dust on both sides of the headboard, so I knew two things: Some quality work was done here, and the cleanup afterwards was substandard, so I slept in my sleeping bag above the sheets. In an attempt to distract myself from being skeeved out, I turned on the TV. The remote control was sticky. So sticky, in fact, that the button to turn the channel up stuck and kept flicking from one channel to the next.

The staff of the Howard Johnson's can best be described as efficient, but not exactly hospitable.They gave me what I asked for, and might have done more had I asked. I have nothing but respect for them. If you could work here for more than a week without being completely demoralized, you are a person of great spiritual strength. Give them all a livable wage and benefits.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could give this hotel anything but a miserable review...Could it be that there are some good rooms here somewhere, and my experience was an anomaly? I'd like to think so, for the sake of humanity. The horror!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank slnlh
howardjohnsonexpress, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Inn - Sandusky Park N. Entrance, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest,

While your exaggerated comments are humorous, they also unnecessarily damage the reputation of this hotel. We take great pride in this property and satisfy many guests, as you saw when reading other reviews. In any case, we sincerely apologize for any ways we fell short of meeting your needs. I hope you will indeed return to our hotel and see that satisfaction is how we normally do business.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The staff I dealt with were very friendly and helpful. But the rooms need to be cleaned much more thoroughly. The carpet is so dirty, it turns my bare feet black. And the bathroom mold should be dealt with. Maybe more cleaning? Tougher cleaning product? And the room could use a fresh coat of paint. Perhaps a lively color?
Because I expect the hotel rooms to be clean when I stay somewhere. I would rather not come back to this particular place. The Howard Johnson Express seemed much cleaner than this one. If only the rooms looked, like they are pictured above. The pictures are nicer than the actual rooms

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry that we somehow failed to meet your expectations and hope you will give us another chance in the future. Nothing is more important to us than customer satisfaction. That’s why we’re involved in a continuous improvement process and are changing and improving every day. I look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We just needed a place to sleep for about 6 hours prior to running in a 5K the next morning and shower afterward. The room stunk like mold and mildew. The maid (or someone??) had left a dirty Magic Eraser on the floor near the sink, but somehow missed the mildew in the bathroom. The bed was so hard and uncomfortable that we could barely participate in the race the next day from being in so much pain. And when I asked the meth addict with missing teeth at the front desk if she could help me print my ticket, she told me it wasn't her problem. I realize this hell hole doesn't exactly have a business center but what happened to customer service? $75 apparently doesn't cover Febreeze or a sheet of paper.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mythernal
howardjohnsonexpress, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Inn - Sandusky Park N. Entrance, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. While we cannot condone your inflammatory comments about our staff, we can assure you that we take great pride in this hotel and strive to provide the best experience possible. I sincerely apologize if we fell short of meeting your needs in any way and hope we can make it up to you the next time you’re in the area. You’re welcome here despite your impolite comments.