“cost was comparable to the quality”

Rodeway Inn Cedar Point North
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 18 August 2011

For the nightly rate, you get what you pay for! Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Morning breakfast consisted of drinks and prepackaged muffins, on the small side. Rooms are small, and improvments could be made, but who cares when you are spending so little money! Wifi worked fine, people weren't noisy and the place was full. When you want to save money and are only staying there to sleep between riding coasters at CP, this is a good, close, CHEAP place. It isn't the ritz but who cares? The only thing that really bothered me is that the mattresses are really firm, had trouble falling asleep. Head over to ALL Ways Pizza for some good grub and cheap beer 2 blocks away. I would stay there again just for a place to sleep before heading to CP.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank lives4vacation1210

Reviewed 13 August 2011

I stayed at this place one night on my first visit to Cedar Point. At least it's close to Cedar Point. The hotel is ok, but I wouldn't want to stay again. The bathroom was outdated. Putty around the window sealed closed, you couldn't see out. Wi-fi didn't work. Breakfast was blah.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I read some of these reviews with great trepidation and attempted to cancel my reservation. I guess they have a 72-hour cancellation policy so I had to hold onto my reservation. On the day of reckoning I got in my car and headed to the hotel. I held my breath. After all the nervous tension I had built up on the way I was delightfully relieved when I arrived.

First of all, Bill, the guy who checked me in was WONDERFUL. He could probably TEACH a class in customer service. He got me extra pillows, gave me a great recommendation for a place to eat and grab a beer, and when the ice machine ran out because someone filled up a cooler, he went to the store and bought a bag so I could have ice.

I felt safe in this hotel. I read reviews that said it was in a rundown location, well if that is a rundown neighborhood, I'd love to see where those people live, because it looked like another Small Town USA.

I had an exterior corridor room (120). The King bed was just to my firmness liking, the tv was a bit small but there were like 60 channels of programming. It was clean, it smelled fresh and the furniture looked new. I was a bit nervous because I had to park my car about 125 yard from my door but the parking lot was well lit and nothing happened to my car.

I'll definitely be back next year when I visit Cedar Point. For the low price, clean room and nice pool, it really can't be beat.

Room Tip: Make a request in that field when you make a reservation.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Robert T
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed for 3 nights as we took our daughter to Cedar Point. I reserved well in advance, a little leery because of the reveiws, but i requested an interior poolside room and a ground floor as i read a review that it would be quieter, etc. Well of course we didn't get it and i asked when we checked in and they said all booked. Well I booked like a month in advance. We got far at the back on the 2nd floor, so not impressed with that. Also, the wi-fi is total crap. It didn't work in our room at all. I called the front desk and they said the best signal is at the pool. The staff was very friendly though. I had some security issues though, the windows slide open from the outside and inside and have no locks! Yikes!!!! Anyone could come into your room. We solved this problem by jamming a rod into it so you couldn't open. Seriously, they need to fix that! Also the door was really hard to lock. You had to jimmy it to set dead bolt. The bedding and towels were clean, didn't see any bugs or hairs. The walls in the room and bathroom could use some fresh paint. It would do wonders for the room. There are many spots that have been fixed and they left just the putty smeared there. The window in our shower was gross. There were squashed bugs in the window. The bathroom was clean except for that. It was very dated and everything was rusty....like the mirror, mirror shelf, metal box that holds kleenex, etc. It was very cheap and we figured it would be fine as we wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the room. Well it thunderstormed quite a bit so the rides couldn't operate in lightening so we were in the room for longer than we expected. Next time I would choose a different hotel. The pool was ok but always busy. I found it to be relatively clean but the cholorine levels were really high so i didn't swim much. It you want cheap with no luxuries, this is it.

Room Tip: Not sure, i requested a certain area and didn't get it and I booked a month in advance.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Get rid of Bill and you could have a nice hotel!!!!! The young lady that checked us in on July 22nd was awesome keep her and get rid of Bill

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Well first of all I walked in my room and did check before I brought my bags in and when I went into the bathroom I found a dirty rag hanging up in the shower. Which is the first strike. Then the towels on the floor was crappy looking and the toilet wasnt leveled. Which is strike 2. Then I when I woke up the next day I look at the selling and find these muskitto looking bugs. Which was strike 3. So my whole point of view of this hotel was crappy. Then there was a spider wed in one of my lamps. It was just bad I wouldnt want anyone to stay at this hotel who has kids. I wouldn't write this if was a little bad but it was awful.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I booked online and got a king with 2 doubles for our family of 7. Upon arriving, the area the hotel was in seemed a bit run down. The rooms were all exterior rooms except for the poolside rooms which we would have booked had we known as I am not comfortable with exterior rooms. Our room was directly across from the office which was a tiny area that served juice and pastries in the morning (this consisted of orange juice and I believe apple juice, and individually packaged danishes & muffins). The receptionists were extremely polite and even called us later in the evening to see if we needed anything. Our room was clean and featured a safe for storing valuables while we were away but we did not take advantage of that so we do not know if it worked correctly or not. The tv in our room was small (19") and the cable SUCKED. They feature HBO in all their rooms but the picture continuously went blurry during the movies we watched. I believe they offer Wi-Fi but we did not bring our computers and my husband's Droid was getting crappy internet service in the room. Not sure if that was an interference from their Wi-Fi or just the area in general. We had to walk across the parking lot to get to the pool which was not heated. The pool room itself was heated but the water was chilly. It was not the clearest water but it wasn't green and nasty either. The kids really enjoyed it. After arriving back to our room I noticed that our door did not want to latch. It could easily be pulled (or pushed) open and had to be slammed to latch. I did not mention this to the front desk but made sure to lock the deadbolt and chain lock on the door before going to bed. The a/c worked great... in fact, too great as we were all freezing and had to turn it off in the middle of the night. The mattresses were the quality of bunky boards for bunkbeds. They were way too firm and not very comfortable. I did not sleep well due to constant noise outside of our ground floor room. Cars were going in and out and people were walking by talking. We decided to skip the free "breakfast" at the hotel and went to McDonald's right outside Cedar Point instead. Our room was less than $100, in close proximity to Cedar Point, had a local ice cream joint right next door with cheap treats and a Rite Aid across the street for many things you may need. It was an okay hotel (save for the door not latching and the exterior rooms) but we would spend the extra money and stay somewhere else next time. It sounds like this hotel is pretty hit or miss with it's customers so you can take your chances and get a low cost family suite within a mile of Cedar Point or if you want quality instead, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: An interior poolside room would probably be a safer, more pleasurable experience with less noise tha...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family