“Cheap Getaway”

Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
SE Michigan
“Cheap Getaway”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed last weekend with a $50 one-night coupon deal. Great deal since it included the water park as well. Now it's not a substitute for the Bahamas or even Great Wolf Lodge but we certainly got a lot of bang for the buck. It cost me more to board my dog for two nights.

The water park is rinky dink but fine for grade schoolers. Ideal age/size would be to bring kids that are 42" or taller since they could ride the water slides. Mine are smaller than that so they couldn't ride the slides but they enjoyed playing in the other areas. For adults it's a bit cold so luckily they had a hot tub. Unlike a lot of places though kids are allowed in the hot tub too. The water area was kept up very well. It looked like it had fresh paint and no mold or anything like that.

The room was fine. Yes, it's what you would expect from a low-end chain but it was clean and had everything we needed. We were fortunate to get a large suite-style room (rm 144). It looked like it had been updated compared some of the photos uploaded here. The heater was newer and worked well. Had two large flat screen TVs. Had a large safe big enough to hold a day pack or purse. Unfortunately it wasn't working -- low battery warning was displayed. The only real annoyance about the room was the terrible water pressure in the bathtub. It wasn't the low-flow shower head because it was really slow to come out of the tap as well. But for one night it wasn't a big deal.

We also utilized the bowling alley after checkout. Staff were very friendly. It seemed a little pricier than a typical alley but I don't know since I don't bowl that often. $18 for one hour (two adults, two kids) but they gave us two lanes. The full menu from the Thirsty Pony is available there so we ordered wings and pizza. Both the wings and the pizza were on the greasy side but palatable. Also a little pricey for what it is. It's good for the convenience but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank mdchachi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Mansfield, Ohio
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Was a little disappointed in water park, very small mainly geared toward younger children. The 2 big slides they have are fun though! Since no indoor pool kids got bored pretty quickly! the hotel rooms themselves were nothing to brag about - your typical hotel room, noticed french fries under our bed and we didn't have any so housekeeping isn't the best! Kids really did like bowling alley, arcade & laser tag attached to hotel & The Thirsty Pony restaurant attached to hotel offers a nice selection and decent prices!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank momrams
Napoleon, Ohio
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The water park is a joke, the water is very cold. The employees in the bowling alley are very rude. The heat in my room kept breaking and blew out cold air even after they 'fixed' it. The hotel took $200 out of my bank account without telling me, and my total bill for staying was $80. Dont waste your money going to this place, its a total joke!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Kristina H

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Brecksville, Ohio
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My friends and I took our kids to this hotel for a safe, fun, New Year's Eve. The indoor Waterpark (water area) was geared for younger kids, not my 13-year old. So he and his friends occupied themselves bowling and laser tag. The adults enjoyed the off-track betting, bowling, and few games of laser tag, too.

The staff was very friendly and low stress. The food very tasty.

The hotel is older, and 2** at best, but we had a very nice night. Would definetly consider a return visit next year.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Cath8104
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I purchased a $50 voucher good for a one night stay on a Saturday night valid until June 18th, I made my reservation for May and now the hotel manager refuses to honor the voucher, he is now blaming the company that issued the vouchers as having made a mistake on the valid date, he could have honored the voucher as a good will gesture but I am forced to have the credit card company issue a charge back from the 3rd party vendor in order to obtain a refund..

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank ritterdavid
Trenton, Ohio
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Here's the deal - 99% of the hotels in Sandusky are old and rundown, including the ones on Cedar Point's property. Why should they update them? Cedar Point is always going to draw millions of tourists every summer, and those tourists have to stay somewhere! So, save your money and skip the hotels on Cedar Point's property, and give this one a try - it is right on the corner of the causeway into Cedar Point, and it's a good $150-$200 cheaper a night during the peak season.

Now, this is by no means a luxury hotel. I'll be honest - it's one of those hotels where I refuse to walk around the room barefoot. But, we stay here every year, for one reason and one reason only - The Thirsty Pony. They have GREAT food, it's nice to relax after a long day at the park, have a couple of beers, and be able to walk back to our room. We don't have to worry about having a DD.

The indoor waterpark is a perk for familes with children, but we have only used it one time (my husband and I go by ourselves, our son is too young for Cedar Point) and it wasn't much. But I think it would be nice for kids to cool off after a hot day at the park.

And I want to add, even though it's not the fanciest hotel or sometimes even the cleanest, we have been staying here every summer for 7 years and not once have we noticed any bed bugs - and trust me, my husband thoroughly inspects every room we stay in immediately after check in.

Room Tip: Eat at the Thirsty Pony!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank ucas0
Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Let's face it, who comes to Cedar Point and stay in the room the entire stay? I picked this hotel despite the bad reviews only because it is very close to Cedar Point and my kids love waterparks! The hotel is in terible shape cosmetically but they can afford to charge over $100 - $150+ per night, because they know this is the only hotel besides Castaway Bay that has a waterpark feature--And who wants to spend over $300 per night? I had a 10% off coupon from ohiocoupons.com and a few for the Thirsty Pony (the best food!)which made it very nice. I never saw the 'suites' so I can't comment on them, but the room we were in was subpar. Make sure when you check in (but before you unpack) to turn on the faucets to the sink and the tub shower. I pulled so hard I thought it was going to come out of the wall! Like I said, the hotel is in very bad shape 'cosmetically' but we just needed a place to sleep for a few hours after spending long days at Cedar Point.

Room Tip: Check the water/shower faucets before unpacking and make sure the air conditioning works!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family