“Not your typical Quality Chain”

Quality Inn & Suites Rainwater Park
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This place at first glance looks like the perfect family stay. Pool, water park, lazer tag, bowling and on-site restaurant. I am guessing this place was a great when first opened but it is very dated and a lot of patch type work, just not what I expected from a Quality Chain. I would not recommend the on-site restaurant, food was mediocre at best. On the plus side it was right down the road from Cedar point, lots of stores and restaurants within close proximity. The staff was accommodating and very pleasant A+ for staff! So if you are looking for cheap and close place this may suit your needs. (this is an 89$/night type of place at best)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Rainwater Park

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed here Aug 4-6, 2014. Got a great deal on the 3 nights on Expedia for $217.00 USD. This is NOT a quality place in terms of real quality or like other Quality Inns are. I can see why the wide range of reviews are here. The wing we stayed in, yes the carpet is old and needs to be replaced for sure. Its not nice looking and the carpet in the lobby is worse. The wing where friends of ours stayed had much better carpets. Breakfast was good. No complaints there. Staff good. Hair dryer did not work, only found that out on check out day. Water park is fun but kids need to be 42" tall for the big slides. There is no small slides for small kiddies, but the outdoor pool is nice for them. As a person who has stayed in worse and is comfortable camping and roughing it, I would say this is a 2 star hotel and dropping. If they can renovate the rooms and carpets it should be 2.5-3 star. I will give it a 3 star as its ok due to the good breakfast and extra water park and we got a deal. I would not spend $100 a night here if you do not have kids and do not bowl, laser tag, or bet on Ponies. If you want Quality, check into Castaway Bay next door. Its over $200.00 a night though. :/ . In short if you plan to be at Cedar Point and ride all day or Soak City til close, you won't get use of this hotels extra features. We were too tired the 1st 2 nights. My next visit won't be staying here I will stay up hwy 250 somewhere closer to shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms around numbers 240 range +/- 15 numbers have the nicer carpets.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rosedrew
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel with all the amenities this is not the place. No elevator, toilet is horrible.. Doesn't fill up after flushing.. Had to use the trash can to fill up water to put in back of toilet to get to flush, not up to date at all But for what we needed it for it was okay. We were there for a mini vacation. We had won day passes to Great Wolf Lodege for the waterpark at a auction so we didn't need to stay at the lodge. We were there all day had dinner and just needed a place to crash. For what my family needed it for it was okay. If you are going to be there for an extended stay, I would look elsewhere especially if you don't have kids. The main attraction is they have a mini waterpark on site and we used that the night before we went to Great Wolf Lodge.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Chesnut2342
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I'm not sure where to start but so far the best experience has been checking in. Very friendly front desk.

The hotel is very run down and need of a major renovation. The paint is coming off in many spots.
The rooms are clean and have what you need but bathrooms are tiny and to get into the shower the door has to be closed. I found a long black hair on the floor towel. Beds are comfortable.
The breakfast is minimal with hard boiled eggs, cereal and muffins, toast and waffles. Today there was a pan of greasy fried potatoes and another pan with sausage gravy and biscuits. The breakfast attendants were to busy checking cell phones to clean off tables. They just stood in the corner and gossiped.

The property overall is very run down, but it is convenient to Cedar Point Amusement Park and Soak City spit remains a busy hotel. It also has 24 bowling lanes and an indoor Poland play area.

Large parking area behind the hotel. I would not stay here if I was not on a business trip.

Room Tip: Check other hotels. A little farther drive might be better.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BusdriverPhil
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were in Sandusky to visit his family. We decided to extend our stay one night and with it being Friday night in a tourist town the rates were ridiculous. We booked this hotel because they gave us the best military discount. We ended up paying 182.00 for the night tax included. We took our 2 children plus our nephew to the waterpark. The main attraction was a big slide, but it was broken. The children 2 three year olds and 1 seven year old still had a blast on what was available, but for the price I felt extremely cheated. The breakfast was way less than i expected. There was no plain meat. Looked like maybe it was a onion, meat, potato mix that looked like vomit very disappointing. The breakfast staff was extremely nice though and kept everything stocked. I have stayed at other quality inns and they were always nice. I think because they are so close to cedar point, they know ppl will book them so they have not taken good care of the hotel. The rooms are very small, the beds felt like twins, maybe fulls, but they were certainly not queens. For the price I felt cheated and would not stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jamila P
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The first room assigned to us was labeled non smoking, but reeked of smoke. We went back to the front desk and no apology was given, they simply said "Oh really? Which room number?" and searched for another room. Which leads me to believe that they were NOT surprised at all and simply hoped that we would settle for the smelly room. Luckily there was another room available for us which did not smell of smoke. The beds were very high off the ground, and all the linens were white and clean. The bed we had was firm, and we slept well on it. 4 pillows per bed were provided. We were going to Cedar Park and needed the room simply for rest and showers. The carpet was well cushioned and seemed fairly new. The bathroom had mold all along the bottom of the tub and a clear dark path on the tile floor where people walk. The grout color should be the same all throughout the bathroom floor, not white onloy in areas where feet dont walk. We used the onsite bowling alley and waterpark. The waterpark is a nice touch, but is poorly maintained. There was a very high chlorine level and the water itself was not clear....it was a bit murky. We only went in the hot tub. We were afraid to ride the slides due to the murkiness of the water. Slept well, not too much noise in the halls thankfully. AC worked great. Breakfast two mornings was your basic continental fare with two warm items. Once it was sausage gravy & biscuits, second pan of sausages, another day scrambled egg circles and circles of sausage. There were 2 waffle makers and 3 choices of batter. They ran out of yogurt and fresh fruit both days. There is an onsite restaurant and bar but we were too tired to use it. Theme parks are exhausting. The hallway carpeting throughout the hotel needs replacing. The carpet that led up the stars and into the breakfast room was nearly black and the area smelled like a dirty garbage can. How could they allow it to get that filthy???? I was almost afraid to eat in the breakfast room because of it. Luckily the breakfast area itself was kept as clean as possible. Its a big hotel and a small eating area. Not great, but it filled our bellies before the theme park. We feel that we got our moneys worth for the price we paid to stay at Rainwater Park, especially if we had utilized the on site restaurant/bar/waterpark. If they clean things up more, we would return. We are recommending the location with the information about the poor maintenance of the waterpark and carpets and breakfastroom. Still very convenient for a family with small children. Adults might prefer a higher quality hotel with better management.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank OswegoJulieBug
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Do not be fooled by the pictures, they are SURELY from another hotel. Our room did not look anything like the ones in the pictures, it was completely grubby. Yellowing walls, must, mildew, mold, dust. If the Bates Motel and Great Wolf Lodge had a baby, then that offspring got together with Animal House and they had a baby that then grew up to become withered and desperate, this hotel would be the result.

The Thirsty Pony up front appears to be a rough bar when we were pulling up late at night with our family. We commented on the raucous bar and then with dismay realized it is attached to the hotel we had booked. The back parking lot was creepy and ill-lit, the side door to the hotel was propped open (not secure). The hotel was filthy; I mean musty, skunky-smelling, dingy, scary dirty. The halls feel like a fire hazard, there is old mismatched funky yuck furniture sort of piled along the walls and stair platforms as though they were pushed out from dorm rooms. Smoke smells permeate the area. A sign in the lobby advertises "Rainwater after dark" for adults only 11pm-12am...ewwww. Front-desk person was sleepy and completely neutral.

Our room was scary dirty as well and really smelled bad. My sister usually stays at hostels in third-world countries but she was horrified by this hotel. "This is where sad clowns come to die" she whispered as we hand-santitized the kids and put them to bed. We were getting in VERY late, near 10pm, after a long drive and felt it was not an option to leave the hotel at this point. I checked under the bed for bodies and I have to tell you my hand was shaking as I lifted up those bed skirts because I believed it to be a real possibility. The bathroom was dingy and grungy too.

The next morning we looked at the water park, it looked dirty, mold and mildew clinging to the windows as we looked in. The kids exclaimed excitedly, looking forward to the slides. Sign said it opens at 4pm, disappointed kids. We promised to take them to the pool, which is outside. it was very small but more importantly the water looked sort of beige-grey and was at a low-level, it was not up to the top stair of the pool. The kids ran their hands along the metal pipes of the "playground area" which consists of maybe three tiny structures. The sad clanging cacophony was the perfect background accompaniment to the desolation we gazed upon.

Breakfast was standard hotel fare, it was no better or worse than any other hotel I've been to in the mid-price range. The breakfast room was situated upstairs, up some very dirty, grungy, outdated stairs down a dark dank passageway to be precise. One toaster with a long line, two waffle-makers with a line of hungry breakfast patrons. Weak coffee. Eggs, sausage the kids wouldn't eat.

I would not recommend, at all, to anyone, ever.

Room Tip: If there are newer rooms hidden somewhere in this filthy mess of a building then by all means reques...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family