“Poop in the pool.....three attractions shut down...waste of money..”

Cedar Point's Castaway Bay
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I booked my daughter and I for a Friday & Saturday stay for this past weekend, Jan 17-18. Got there at around 11:30 AM and was pleasantly surprised that our room was already open and we could unpack early. The water park, at first glance, looked great and very promising. However, the water was much too cold for me and I couldn't spend much time in the wave pool with my daughter. Thank goodness for the hot tub, which was very nice. I was impressed with the hot tub as it allowed for us to sit outside during a small snowstorm in our swimsuits :) however, this ended up being a downfall. More about that later. While playing basketball in one of the pools, two men much larger than us started wailing basketballs from the other side of us, over our heads at the basketball hoops. The guys and my daughter and I were the only ones in the pool. The lifeguard did nothing. I almost said something to the one man about please stopping, there were two other hoops nowhere near us they could've used. But hoped a simple dirty look would do the trick. They didn't stop. Sure enough, within five minutes, I got hit in the side of the face with a basketball-HARD. I saw stars and felt like someone punched me. The guys asked yelled across the pool, "are you ok? Are you ok?" But I couldn't ever answer. Again, the life guard did nothing. We were the only people in the pool! It's not like he could've missed it. I got out of the pool immediately and had to sit with a pounding headache for over an hour while my daughter played alone. The rest of the day was uneventful and better. That night, it snowed, and all the men and boys in the hot tub thought it would be a great idea to keep grabbing snow and making snowballs and watching them melt in the hot tub. Anyone who knows anything about pools knows what this will do. No one from the water park came out or anything. Someone could've drown and no employee would be the wiser, I think. Though there are surveillance cameras, I don't know if anyone watches them in real time. When we came in, they had closed the raft slide, (my daughter's favorite attraction). No one could tell us why it was closed. We decided just to leave for the evening. So the next morning, Saturday, we go down to the water park around 9:30. The hot tub is closed because the chemicals were off (yep, those guys that thought it would be fun to play in the snow) and the raft slide were closed. Here it is, their busiest day at C.B. and two of the most popular attractions are closed. Now I couldn't enjoy any part of the park, the water was freezing and I couldn't even use the hot tub to warm up and my daughter was incredibly unhappy she couldn't go on the slide. So while my daughter found something else to do, I sat and watched people herd into the wave pool. Eventually, I see a lifeguard walk over in the shallower end and lean over to look at something. She looks up at the other girl, back down, and up again. She says, "I think it's poop!" And nods her head. The other girl comes over and looks at it. And they start blowing their whistles and put their hands up to get the supervisor's attention. He didn't even look up. He was talking with a girl down at the deeper end. Before they could get him to come over, the waves started. By the time he finally came, it was lost in the waves somewhere. They ignore the problem and go on like nothing happened. I was appalled. Shortly after, now afternoon...they opened the hot tub and tube slide. I immediately went to the hot tub, which now had a line because it was so packed there on a Saturday. It was FREEZING! I immediately got out. I watched and lots of other people went in and got right back out as well. Back to the chair for me. Later, I see a new lifeguard walk over in the wave pool and play out the same scene all over again. The poop was back. I looked at the clock. Over an hour had passed! Lots of people, many of whom were little kids played in that pool with the poop for over an hour. It could've been touched or grabbed by any of the little ones at any moment. This time they did get someone's attention in time. They got everyone out of the pool and turned off the wave timer so they wouldn't start. (If you are keeping track, this would be the third main attraction shut-down of the day.) While getting the guy to come get it, a piece washed ashore to the grate in the floor at the shallow end. The man came out with a net and rubber gloves. He got the piece on the grate and searched the pool, picking one other thing up in the middle of the pool. Then he walked out. The lifeguard went up and down the pool checking to make sure it was clear. Then he blew his whistle, shook his head and went and got the rubber-gloved man again. They found more over on the side. The man came back and picked up more out of the pool. I absolutely couldn't believe it. I tried the hot tub again...now about 3-4 PM, still way too cold.

At this point, we left and did some of the activities up in the Club Castaway. We never went back to the water park. Complete waste of money when all the major attractions were each closed for hours throughout the day. The lifeguards almost all seemed to be very ill-qualified, between the wave pool, basketball pool, and hot tub, plus others we associated with during our two days there. We were very disappointed. We love Cedar Point and had high hopes for this Cedar Fair resort, as well. Not worth my $350. We will definitely be going to other water parks instead.

Room Tip: We loved our starfish room. We brought food with us and used the fridge and microwave. Though you st...
5  Thank whiteangel97
TyleratCP, Manager at Cedar Point's Castaway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your visit. Your notes have been reviewed with the waterpark management and staff.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Sign your kids up for birthday club for great deal (month of their b-day.) Room for $99…got all 4 of us into water park & place to sleep…not a bad deal! That being said…. Check in was very polite. Room was 3..may 3.5 star. Nothing fancy but very clean. Suggest req view of water (pretty, even in winter.) Also suggest spending bit more ($10) to get room with fridge & micro..came in handy! Waterpark: unlike most hotels during winter months, this is actually kept warm! Water not bad as well…hot tub (goes outside & in) was great! Lots for kids too do…however I believe this waterpark is geared more towards preschoolers & pre-teens. Teenagers will probably get bored here. Worse complaint: the water park staff. WOW! They really where not thrilled to be there (practically all of them!) Say good morning..no response. Say thank for )for assisting with anything…no response. Think the complete opposite of what you would experience at Cedar Point itself. Management needs to light a fire under their rear ends!

Room Tip: Get balcony over looking water...
3  Thank luvscigars
Reviewed 14 January 2014

great place great location ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its close to the cedar point , my kids had great time ,,,,,,,,,,,, service is very nice ,,,,,,,,,, only 1 thing but not that bad,,, is they need to improve their restaurant even tho there is T.G.I friday is attached to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Family and I booked a room for the weekend, Friday through Sunday because it was very cheap. We checked in around 8 pm that night, the front desk boy/kid didn't seemed thrilled to be working and was quite rude as if we was an inconvience to him. The hotel was quite slow as from the amount of cars there. He gave us a room at the very end of the hotel. Far walk to the waterpark. Rooms are okay, beds are comfortable. The waterpark was freezing. Water was way to cold to go in. Took for ever to get used to. It's also an smaller park. Some of the slides were down.
Our son had a blast though! So his smile made it worth it! We also did the breakfast buffet for both days, food was good, and the waitresses were very friendly! I'd say spend the extra cash for Kalahari, at least their water is heated!!!

Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Missnikkilane
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Arrived on Saturday early in the afternoon with three preschoolers and a baby. Our rooms were ready so that made it so much easier to get changed and ready to have fun. All three rooms were together. That was handy too. Rooms are extremely clean and up to date in decor. The beds are very comfortable with plenty of pillows. As for the water park, it is terrific. Lots for kids to do as well as a few that adults will like too. The park area is kept at a humid 82 degrees. Towels are provided. You can take as many as needed. Also they have life vests for the kids. There is a pretty nice video arcade. A TGI Fridays is attached and that was nice. There is a snack shop where you can buy Starbucks coffee as well as pastries . A gift shop is off the lobby. We had the breakfast buffet included in our price. I wouldn't suggest doing that unless everyone in your party eats a big breakfast. It was pretty good but the little ones didn't eat much. Kind of a waste. I have no complaints about our weekend at Castaway Bay. I would highly recommend it. Bring drinks and snacks as there is a fridge and microwave in each room.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty close to everything. If you have lots of luggage there are carts at all t...
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The rooms are clean and I think this is a 3 Star hotel - We loved the water park so much and my kids and family loved it - friendly staff , was not chuffed with the breakfast but overall an enjoyable resort

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed in two Tarpon Suites on Dec. 27, 2013. When I reserved the rooms I requested that they be as close to each other as possible. Not only did we get rooms that were side by side, they were right across from the entrance to the water-park! We were thrilled! The rooms were very clean and spacious. There was a mom and 4-teenage girls in one suite and a mom and 3-teenage boys in another with plenty of space to spare. I was also impressed by the level of staffing throughout the resort. There was plenty of staff working the check-in counter, and there were "lifeguards" and staff in abundance throughout the water-park.

Room Tip: Tarpon Suites #123 and #125 are right across from the water-park entrance and the arcade. While thi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family