“"Average"”

America's Best Value Inn Sandusky
Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 15 September 2012

After reading the reviews on this the hotel my wifey and I did not want to stay 3 nights in such a place. However we decide to try it out anyways and it was not as bad as the reviews we read. We were not looking for a Five Star Hotel so we got what we paid for. The main reason for the stay was Cedar Point Amusement Park therefore we were barely in the room. Our room & bathroom was clean, the few hours we did sleep in the bed we had NO problems. When we stay in budget hotels we bring our own towels, personals, pillows and sheets just a habit. As I mention before we got what we paid for a place to store our luggage, hot shower and a bed to crash in after hours and hours fun at Cedar Point. Now if you want to getaway and relax like the comfort of your home choose a Five Star Hotel.

Room Tip: Don't compare Budget Hotels with Five Star Hotels
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeeFe
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write an, overall, positive review of your recent stay at our ABVI. I'm glad that you found value in the money that you spent for your lodging needs and that we were able to provide safe, clean, comfortable accommodations to you and your family. We hope you'll choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you to our area in the future!

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Checked into first room and it was dirty,window sill had cig ashes on it (non-smoking room) mold on bathroom wall and cieling,dirty towels,not vaccumed.Second room was no better. Not even sure if the doors around the back where we parked locked at all during the night we just walked in. Kids swam in pool and found empty medicine bottles laying around, also pool in need of closing and overhaul.This place can be geared to the budget guest but it does not take alot to be clean. Immediatley checked out and found another place that night - will never be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Canuck147
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

I am extremely disappointed to hear of your recent encounter with our hotel. As a seasonal property, we have to work very hard with our seasonal staff to ensure that they understand the quality standards that we want to impart to all of our guests. Although this is a continual process, we believe that our standards have improved (as evidenced by other good comments about our property). Please treat this as an isolated incident and give us another opportunity in the future to prove our continual committment to quality and guest satisfaction!

Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed here after a long, long day at Cedar Point. Rates and location from Cedar Point and the highway are very convenient. I was so bummed to get into our room (2 doubles) and find Trent tiny, very hard beds. After a day where your body is sore and exhausted, you hope to relax in a little softness. Not here. Room was very clean and everything else fine but I tossed on that bed the whole night.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I'm sorry that you did not find the beds to your liking. Unfortunately, this is an area that we get some complaints but, by-and-large, we get a lot of compliments as well. The firmness or softness of a bed is definitely a personal preference--and I'm sorry that it didn't meet your needs. I AM glad to see that you pointed out that, other than the firmness of the bed, the room was clean and comfortable. That's evidence that our housekeeping staff continues to improve and that we are focused on providing a clean, comfortable, safe environment for all of our guests. We hope you'll choose to stay with us in the future if your travels bring you our way again!

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Let me start out by saying this; in life you always get what you pay for. American Best Value isn't cheap for normal Hotel standards but in Sandusksy it is one of the more cheaper options but I feel like they could improve in many areas. My room smelled like mildew mixed with axe body spray. My room was never probably kept. The hosekeeper never replaced our towles and nobody was at the front desk at night for use to get more towels. I caved in and went to walmart to buy a towel. The free wifi does not work don't bother trying or losing sleep over your device. It won't work. Not having a proper lobby hurts them also, There is not were to sit down and chill by their front desk. I hate that about this hotel. The main hotel staff seemed overwhelmed so I do have mercy on them but the support staff needs to step up their game. I will not ever suggest this hotel to anyone until they improve on the areas that I mentioned in my review.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dustin R

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our ABVI in Sandusky, Ohio. I'm sorry that your stay didn't meet your expectations--although I'm confused about your comments about the front desk not being staffed and the lobby not being "proper." Our hotel is staffed 24 hours a day. Perhaps you encountered the front desk while the staff was out in the hotel tending to another guest? Additionally, the lobby is very nicely appointed with marble floors, a granite fireplace, as well as comnfortable leather furniture. With regard to your housekeeping concerns, we continue to work with our staff in that area to provide above-and-beyond service and as the summer season continues to march forward, we continue to get better and better in this area. No matter, your comments are appreciated and they help us continue to strive for excellence. Thanks again for taking the time to write your review!

Reviewed 12 August 2012

First room we checked into wasnt clean, and smelled like it as well. 2nd room we checked into smelled better, as far as clean dont think anyone here understands the consept, staff ? Kids with no clue that brings up a question who really owns this place ,,,,my next step is to corp. Office this place needs to be closed.

• Stayed: August 2012

I am sorry that your recent experience at our hotel didn't meet (or exceed) your expectations. We have been working diligently with our houskeeping staff to address issues such as the one you brought up in your review. Rest assured that your comments have been heard and are being addressed. Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your issues!

Reviewed 7 August 2012

The room was clean, the service was good, the place was quiet. What else do you need? After reading some of the bad reviews this place received, I was prepared for an unfavorable experience. I had the opposite -- I'll definitley stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Thanks for your frank, to-the-point account of your recent stay at our hotel property. We're glad that you found your stay enjoyable and satisfying--and very happy to hear that you'll return on your next visit to our area! Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Seeing others comment on the cleanliness...I see we weren't alone in our assessment. The janitorial staff needs to be retrained...towels on floor means to replace such...NOT give unfilled so only one hand and one bath towel remain. DEF did not vacuum floor.

Pool is outdoor and when we went out there at 10PM...pool and surrounding areas was dark...pool was filled with people I couldn't see...and the abandoned shopping cart in the area made us say forget it.

Really, the most basic and bland continental breakfast ever had in a hotel. Just coffee and danish. No fruit, no cereal, no juices/milk. Taught us a lesson to ask EXACTLY what is put out. Also noticed that after we hit it pretty hard (family of four) it didn't get refilled...so next guest kinda out of luck.

Above said, the front desk staff was great in terms of handling a reservation aspect.

So, for for price and location to Cedar Point, I'd sum up as place to sleep and don't expect much more.

Oh...for mgt there...you might want to think about offering a buffet breakfast in the roadhouse restaurant. We and other families def left and went down street to Perkins and other places.

Room Tip: Ask to NOT face the expressway...it wasn't that bad but still...when traveling, any usual noise...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to relate your recent stay with us at our hotel. I'm happy to hear that the staff was attentive to your needs and friendly. We are actively working to better train our housekeeping staff and to improve their productivity and outcomes. Also, please undestand that the small continental breakfast that we offer is a courtesy to our guests--it is not a brand requirement AT ALL of ABVI. Thank you again for your comments. We hope you give us another try in the future!