“America's Worst Value Inn”

America's Best Value Inn Sandusky
Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

While I understand this hotel is not required to offer amenities such a breakfast it still does not excuse the filth. I Checked in on 6/20 and was disgusted that while my room was ready the floors in the room looked as if they had not been vacuumed in a while. This was not an isolated problem because the room next door to mine was the same way. Also not one of the lamps in my room worked and everything was just dusty along with the AC unit that looked like it has never been clean.

The lobby had many loose tiles and everything looked like we were staying at an abandoned hotel. The website states you have a restaurant and clearly it has been closed for some time. The doors to the parking lot are not secured at night by room key entry.

When I checked out I asked forva comment card and the young man looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Also when I explained my issues with this establishment he pretty much said well we don't have a website so we don't advertise a restaurant. I then politely told him well that is how I made my reservation so yeah you have a website. I asked for the managers information and he said he didn't have it.

What kind of business does not have this information.

Lastly, after reading all of the replies from management on here its seems like you continue to focus on the "we are budget so we don't have to provide breakfast".

Being a budget hotel does not excuse filth, safety and security for your patrons.

Someone at the corporate level needs to really address these issues.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank srjanes
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I'm VERY sorry that you encountered the problems that you identified in your review. I agree with you 100%--a budget hotel does should not translate into anything less than clean, comfortable, safe surroundings. Your comments have been forwarded to the executive housekeeper as well as our director of maintenance. I assure you that these problems will be address. Additionally, your comments clearly demonstrate that we need to do a better job of training our front desk staff on how to respond when customers bring issues to their attention. If a manager isn't present on the property, their business cards are always available to hand out to guests who ask. I assure you that I AM at the corporate level and the issues you raised have been resolved. I hope you give us an opportunity in the future to prove our commitment to continuous quality improvement.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We checked in around noon on Saturday. Our room keys wouldn't work, at all, at any time. We ended up going to the front desk a total of 9 times to get into our room. We had to wait each time. The last time was when we came back for bed around mindnight, we had to wait for quite a while on someone to get back to the front desk, help others customers, answer phones... We should not have had to wait since we were already checked in and it was the hotels fault that we couldnt get into our room. They said the batteries were not good in the doors. It also happened to 2 other rooms, where our friends were staying. The beds are also terribly uncomfortable! Their were ducks, and duck poop in the pool. Restaurant was shut down. Looked like it had been abandoned. No secure entries.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank notpleased2014
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I'm really very sorry for the issues you had with your key. This SHOULD NOT have happened. After one or two key problems, you should have been promptly moved to another room if we couldn't address the lock issue.

It is also true that we recently had some problems with the food service vendor in this location and are currently working to resolve that issue and open a new FANTASTIC dining option for our guests. We hope that you treat this as an isolated situation and give us the opportunity to prove our commitment to continuous quality improvement. This is our goal each and every day!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Smelled disgusting! Nothing was plugged in! Cable was ripped out of the wall! The places was filthy! We asked for extra pillows and blankets - never received them! The pillows in the room were hard as a rock!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Unacceptable247
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I'm very disappointed to hear that we weren't able to meet (or exceed) all of your expectations. We're constantly trying to refine and improve our product and services and your letting us know specific issues you had during your stay will help in our efforts. As you've seen, we've had a lot of positive comments also, so I'd ask that you might consider this an isolated incident and give us another shot in the future to prove to you that we are very serious about continuous quality improvement.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We had a good experience at America's Best Value Inn and Suites. Nothing really Fancy but after a day at Cedar Point we really wasn't looking to do much else but sleep. They have nice rooms that where clean, Beds that are comfortable, Endless HOT showers and a GREAT staff was VERY helpful. Cost was really good and with Walmart being right behind it made it a little more appealing. Pool was clean refreshing. Breakfast left a lot to be desired. Lots of places to eat and also shop with the Sandusky mall being right down the road a piece.

1  Thank scobby9709
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Thank you very much for your overwhelmingly positive rating and review of your recent stay with us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all of our great amenities. We are working diligently to improve our breakfast selection so your comment regarding that was heard loud and clear.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Paid nearly a hundred a night and rooms all around us were filled by the homeless. Old charcoal grills and trash outside on the sidewalks. No secure entries. We're woke up in the middle of the night by the homeless couple next to us fighting and him throwing all her stuff out the window, just barely missing our car! Next day (after making up) they put stuff in their room via the window out of a stolen walmart cart. Heard slamming room doors all night long. Although our room was sufficiently cleaned during our stay seeing the number of rooms through open drapes and doors that were filled with trash and obviously homeless individuals doesn't convey that wonderful vacation feeling. Desk Staff was friendly and cleaning staff did a good job. If hadn't already pre-paid would have left. Close to attractions but so are the other hundred hotels on the same road. Stay at one of them.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank R E

I'm very sorry for the inconveniences you mentioned in your review of your recent stay. I certainly hope that you let our staff know about these issues as they were occurring so that some resolution could have been attempted.

I AM glad to hear that you found the accommodations clean and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I hope you'll treat this as an isolated incident and give us another opportunity to prove our commitment to continuous quality improvement. That's what we're ALL about!

Reviewed 18 July 2013

You get what you pay for, not much! Rooms smelled musty, front desk employee dressed for working in the yard, dirty shirt, no smile, short and to the point conversation. Hallways were warm, ice machines not working, Trash all over. Breakfast was a joke, a few tiny muffins on a plate. Only coffee, no juice. Worst part was the pool. Water about a foot and a half from being full. Slimy film across bottom of pool. Complained to front desk 3X about the pool. I even called ahead to ask about the condition of it, and was told it was fine. Very disappointed. Hotel Owners/Managers please note, parents traveling with kids/teenagers look forward to the pool. It really can make or break a vacation. We had a great time at Cedar Point, but hated to get back to the hotel. If you ever get $$ to upgrade this hotel, I suggest you buy the employees uniforms and put the rest into the pool. If we could've sat at the pool all afternoon on our arrival day and after a day at Cedar Point, I wouldn't care about all the other stuff so much. Positives were: air conditioning worked, great location close to everything and price.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at America's Best Value Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. It's great to hear that, overall, you found the accommodations suitable and that you found our location to be convenient to all that the area has to offer.

As a budget-friendly hotel, we are not required to offer free breakfast. We offer pastries and coffee as an added bonus for our guests. I will certainly speak to the General Manager regarding uniforms as every employee is issued uniforms and they should be in them at all times. Lastly, we have been have some issues with our pool and this should have been communicated to you when you called to check on the status--unless, of course, those issues took place between the time that you called and the time of your stay. At any rate, these issues have been resolved. Also, in terms of "no extras," I should note that we have the Brown Derby Roadhouse full restaurant and lounge right inside our property. This is an "extra" that no other hotel property in the area can boast!

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope you'll consider doing so again in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

I was a little worried about staying here because of mixed reviews. We stayed two nights while at Cedar Point and really had no complaints other than there was no continental breakfast the second day. The first day there were mini muffins. Not a big deal to us. There was free coffee and a restaurant on site. The hotel sits behind a Sonic and my kids were happy to run over there. There is a pool which looked ok but it was a little too cold for us to swim. If you're looking for a good deal on a hotel, I would say at about $75 per night, you probably could do a lot worse. It was clean, relatively comfortable and about 15 mins from Cedar Point, located on a main road with lots of options for food and shopping

2  Thank kdadamo

Thank you for the overall positive review of your recent stay with us. We really appreciate the time it took you to offer a rating and review and we really appreciate it!

In terms of the breakfast, as you may know, ABVIs are budget-friendly properties. As such, we are not required by the franchise to offer any sort of free complimentary breakfast. As you mention, we DO offer complimentary pastries and coffee simply as an added benefit for our guests. I'm a bit concerned, however, that we provided this amenity on the first day of your stay and not on the second. I will speak with the folks involved in this area of our operation to find out how the ball got dropped and put into place a procedure so that it doesn't happen again in the future. Thanks for lettings us know!

We hope to see you back again soon! It would be our pleasure to be of service to you in the future!