“good as expected”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Solon
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This Homewood is your typical Homewood suites. I was there for a week since Beachwood location is too pricey so decided to try this location. Their king bed room were all booked, so i had no choice but to book a queen suite room, which is a bit smaller. My room was clean and satisfactory although the kitchen area is a bit smaller since i kept hitting the fridge every time i opened the dishwasher door.
I had the chance to use the exercise room, and like to watch tv while doing some cardio, but the channels were different than the one in the room and had some bad connection on certain channels. Too bad they are not affiliated with any local gym unlike the Homewood on Beachwod.
The breakfast/manager reception staff were always nice and greet the guests and there were always plenty of food and drink for everyone.
The hotel itself is located next door to Hampton Inn and there's a movie theater within walking distance.
Overall, the stay was great since my room was as i expected and they have everything that i was looking for. Although i like the location of Beachwood better since it's closer to some retail stores, but at least now i have a second alternative when the other one is unavailable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Leilani07

Reviewed 26 October 2011

We like to stay at Homewood Suites whenever possible because they are always very nice, with lots of extra room. Not so much for this one. The lobby area was nice, but we were totally disappointed in the room. It seemed "old and tired" compared to the rest of the hotel. Not at all what we usually find in a Homewood. Not really sure why this one differs, but would probably not stay here again. There is a really nice looking Hampton Inn right next door. I know we would not have the extra room, but I prefer nice, newer hotel rooms, not ones that look like they are 30 years old inside!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Homewoodsolon, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our guest rooms. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Started with the welcome home reception. Great meal (menu is posted on your fridge) and drinks. The suite is well laid out with a workdesk in the middle. Excellent WIFI reception. Nice indoor pool. Breakfast was awesome. An all around great place to stay.

Room Tip: Check the website for a room map.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank THUNDARR
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed for 2 nights while in the area shopping. The shopping (we went to the Aurora outlets) was a total waste of time but we found a bunch of other little places to explore while we were there that were all within 15 minutes from the hotel. My husband, myself (both 28) and our son who had just turned one the day before our trip had a beautiful stay at the homewood suites. Our room was available when we got there, a couple hours early and that wasn't a problem at all with the very friendly staff. Our room was spotless. Not even the baby could find anything dirty... And he's really good at that. It was very quiet at night and in the morning, the breakfast was great. The grounds outside of the hotel are nice as well. Our little guy loves to walk so he was walking outside on the deck and to the pretty little duck filled pond. The pool area was nice. We had it to ourselves both times we went in. We did not try the exercise facilities but we did stop in and check it out and it seemed adequate. The cleanliness, friendly staff and nice decor made our stay absolutely perfect. Thanks Homewood!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Hotel was so clean, staff was attentive and friendly, food was good, room was clean and bed so comfortable. I even saw a manger wiping the floor when someone had made a spill! Really a very nice Homewood Suites and I would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cakeshak
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I was very disappointed in this Homewood Suites. We have made Homewood our number one choice when travelling as a family and this one is below standard in one key respect: customer service. While some employees were pleasant, many were downright rude or non-responsive during our stay. We booked a roll away bed when we booked on line only to be informed when we got there that this hotel doesn't have roll aways (why have this an option on your website then?). We asked on two separate occasions to be moved to a larger room, perhaps a room with two Queen beds, and the desk clerk said she would leave a note for the GM to contact us on Monday but no one did. Our son burnt his hand on the popcorn maker in the lobby, there was no warning sign about one part of the popper being hot. The food was variable in taste and quality, the bacon was burnt on Sunday and the employee hosting breakfast on July 31 was rude and abrupt with several guests including us. The kitchen and room is much smaller than other Homewoods. I will be contacting the corporate offices of Homewood and inform them of our negative experience particularly in contrast to our recent stay at the Southpointe Pittsburgh Homewood which had much better and friendlier staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank habsfan93
Homewoodsolon, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you were treated with an undesirable level of service. I have addressed these issues with our staff. I apologize for the information on the website not being correct regarding the roll-away bed. I have taken the appropriate measures to have this corrected. The next time you are in Cleveland we would love to have you come back and experience a better level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

We have stayed here several times when we came back to visit family in the Cleveland area. I don't know whether the stellar experiences we've had in the past raised the bar in what I expected this time or what but I am feeling let down this time. So you can appreciate where I'm coming from, my past experiences were such that one time in advance of our visit I was debating whether we should bring the General Manager flowers. It really was that special.

We are here on a four night visit. The room is fine, basically what you would expect in a newer Homewood Suites. Everything is okay, but it is not how TripAdvisor's 4 point rating "very good". Mostly our experience has lacked attention to detail I would have expected. Here are some examples:

- We added a note to our reward points reservation that we would pay $$ for a 2 bedroom unit if it were available. I don't fault the hotel for not giving us one, but the young lady who checked us in never even mentioned it to us.
- The front desk was staffed by only one person every time I looked, even in busy periods. I had to wait for help every time I was looking for something except one.
- Seems like they changed the deposit policy somehow and people are really upset about it. I don't understand what it is but they now make you sign something when you check in (I guess I should have read it!)
- Housekeeping was really below average. We only let them clean the room once, and they did not restock paper products, empty the dishwasher or do anything with the pile of dirty linens we put on the floor for them (yes, I mean that literally we took dirty linens from the sleeper sofa and piled them in a heap next tot he door and they didn't even move them).
- When we got to our room there were still dirty dishes in the dishwasher.
- Breakfast foods, which I remembered to be extraordinary, were highly variable. No hotel wanting a four star rating or above should be serving the frozen egg food patties claiming to be omelets. Sometimes the food was great. Others it was disappointing. Today (Monday) the bacon was terrific but other days it (or the sausage) was plain old bad. The one saving grace for breakfast is the waffle station with whipped cream and fresh fruit - very nice touch.
- Front desk staff did not seem aware of little things you would tihnk they'd know. For example, there are flyers on the front desk for a restaurant. The GM of the restaurant has the same last name as the GM for the hotel. I asked about the relationship and they had no idea. Listen, if you are going to put collateral at the front desk the personnel there should know something about it.

It could be that three stars is too low. If there was a 3 1/2 option I would have chosen it. The location is okay. It's right across from a terrific Chinese restaurant (Hunan of Solon). The staff is friendly, if overworked. Of course it's great to have a mini-kitchen in the hotel room.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in 16 or 18 as they are next to the dumpster and the trash guy may wake you up.
Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Homewoodsolon, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us at the Homewood Suites Cleveland/Solon. I understand that you encountered an opportunity with the cleanliness of your guest room, I sincerely apologize for this. This is one of the area's that we are very vigilant in to ensure comfort and satisfaction for our guests. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. We also regret that you did not have a consistent dining experience at the hotel. We are constantly working to improve our menu items and appreciate the feedback. I hope that if you travels bring you back to Solon that you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again, I appreciate your honest feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Solon
Hampton Inn Cleveland Solon
SpringHill Suites Cleveland Solon
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Beachwood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Cleveland Macedonia
Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland/Twinsburg
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Oakwood Village

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland-Solon? Share your experiences!