“I have never left a 1 star review until now...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Bloomingville
Hocking Hills Resort
Columbus, Ohio
“I have never left a 1 star review until now...”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We got back to Columbus today from our 1 night stay at Hocking Hills "Resort." (Seriously.....resort? No. Not even close)

I'm going to be completely honest with our stay here and give the pros and cons. Keep in mind, I have NEVER given a 1 star review in the 20 TripAdvisor reviews I've left the past couple of years.

GOOD
It's super close to Ash Cave
The bed was soft.

BAD
Waaaaaaaay overpriced for what it is
TERRIBLE trek up a hill
Outdated
Horrid parking
Not clean
Not enough hot water for a bath
Not a cabin-ey feel,

So, here's the summary of our experience: On Friday we decided to impulsively visit Hocking Hills since it was to be a gorgeous weekend. Almost everything was booked, but we were able to get the Love Bug #2. We arrived at 3:30 on Saturday to a.....homely..... check in area. We were quickly checked in and went to explore our place for the night. We discovered that there was a charcoal grill in the front of the cabin (no chairs/seating in the front) and no charcoal. When we walked in, we were greeted with some old school 70's wallpaper. The bathroom looked nice at first glance (will get to that later) and the bed was a memory foam sort. We dropped our bags and went hiking from Ash Cave to Cedar Falls (took about 3 hours to and from!) After hiking we went to the Hocking Hills Lodge and had an ammmmaaazing dinner then headed back to the Love Bug to take a nice bath in the whirlpool tub...

The tub took AN HOUR AND A HALF to fill up. The hot water ran out after the tub was a quarter of the way full (seriously, why would you not have enough hot water for all the love bugs?) and tile next to the tub was cracked and disintegrating. The shower had the reddish mold in the tiles. The shower head was just plain terrible. (sprayed a radius of about 2 inches) BRING YOUR OWN SHAMPOO & SOAP! There was not enough shampoo for my fiance and I. There was NO BATH SOAP. Luckily, he had brought his own stuff so we both used it. I have no qualms with smelling like a man :) There is NO privacy between the bathroom and the bedroom area. There's a sliding door that you can slide to kind of shut it out, but the ceiling and walls are open to everything.

We could not figure out how to control the AC/Heat. The cabin book said that the controls were below the kitchen window (nope. nothing there but a wall) so we both slept horribly since it was so hot.

You'll get about 5 channels on the TV. Not a big deal for us, since we don't watch a lot of TV, but just an FYI. Sci Fy channel, TNT, CBS, and something else, can't remember.

Parking...I drive a honda accord coupe.... not a large car. There was a steep decline across the "road" from the Love Bug, and I was afraid to back out for fear my car would tumble down the hill. I attempted to maneuver my car and turn around in the "drive way" and ended up hitting a cut-down tree (about 6 inches high) and dented my license plate. The brush guard under my car was ripped off due to a another stump on the front. Why they wouldn't put up lights or reflectors up is beyond me. After coming back from dinner, use your high beams because they have no reflectors anywhere! On that note... we encountered a couple of cars who were speeding through the gravel road out there. So dangerous.

Long story short: Don't stay here. You can do so much better. We would have been happier staying at a motel in Logan. We stayed a getaway cabins last year and it was a perfect experience, so check them out. This place was just terrible. $160 bucks for a tiny, outdated, unclean room was a waste.

Room Tip: Don't even stay anywhere here. If you are going to for one reason or another, DON'T STAY IN...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Oxford, Ohio
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We booked Love Bug #3 for early November, and I was happy to even get something like it so close the peak of the fall season. I couldn't get a cabin with a hot tub for anywhere near the HHR price, so I "settled" for the big garden tub with jaccuzi jets and the nice view from the bathroom windows. We were quite happy with the cozy little cabin and the tub. True, it's not super fancy but everything was clean and neat. The gas fireplace indoors was just lovely and really warmed up the cabin very efficiently. The staff was friendly and helpful and the resort is conveniently located for all of the hiking -- just a couple of minutes to Ash Cave and maybe 10 minute drive to Old Man's Cave. We did not eat at the resort restaurant, but we did have beers at the Jack in the Pulpit Lounge Happy Hour -- $1.50 drafts were great!

Our one problem, which other reviewers have mentioned, was the scary driveway. I really wished I had an SUV to get over the rougher and steeper parts of it. My little Mazda made it up every time, though, despite the traction control coming on for parts of it. Other than that, though, I'd recommend the Love Bug Cabins as a cute and relatively inexpensive (though not luxurious) place to get away from it all.

Room Tip: We only stayed in the Love Bug cabin #3. The Love Bugs are good for couples, or maybe a couple with...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed at the Love Bug #1, Walked in and the smell was overwhelming of either a septic tank or water problem somewhere. I tried spraying my $90 perfume throughout the cabin and finally opened the window in the bathroom and that aired the cabin out temporarily. There was a broken piece of tile sticking up where you step out of the jaccuzi. It could be disaster if you stepped on it with bare feet. The place was clean inside and kinda updated. No remote for TV. I can't believe I spent $167 and the place smelled so foul. There is also well water and a message stating it may leave a brown residue in the tub. So we didn't even use the tub or drink the water. It was a rip-off. We should have just brought our tent and went to the campground. It was like like sleeping in an out-house!

Room Tip: GO check the place out before you book a cabin.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gingerhill
HHRGNR, Owner at Hocking Hills Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Wow. What to say. First, we are sorry for your unpleasant stay. We were horrified about the alleged condition of your cabin so we ran over and checked it out. Nothing. No smells, not even the $90 perfume. We were unable to verify your problem. If you had stopped by the office and told us about it at the time, perhaps we could have resolved the issue before this. The recently broke tile is an issue, however, and it is scheduled for repair. On a lighter note, the young couple who rented the cabin the following night said upon their departure, "The cabin was so wonderful, absolutely perfect and charming."

Travellers are raving about these South Bloomingville hotels

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed in Love Bug cabin #4 and when we walked in, the small round table for two was romantically set with plates and wine glasses. The refrigerator is a full size unit which is very nice when staying several days. The bathroom is very large with a big garden tub and huge walk in shower all enclosed with glass windows on the backside and top so you could enjoy the Hocking Hills while relaxing in the tub. We gathered up some branches from the woods and lit the chiminea which is out on the back deck and enjoyed relaxing in the peacefulness of the woods. The bed wasn't as comfortable as our sleep number bed at home, but we didn't expect that! These cabins are conveniently located to the walking/ hiking trails which was wonderful because that is what the two of us and our dog wanted to do on this Anniversary! All in all we had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jodell513
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The good was the wedding that we attended there....the bad was the Love Bug cabin we stayed in. Unfortunately, it is in dire need of renovation and I believe that some of the cabins may already have been updated, but not ours. It just needs a total remodel from furniture to floors and bathroom. The skylight in the bathroom is wonderful and you feel like you are outside.....but sometimes you wish you were because the tile and fixtures are so old and in spite of the cleaning crews diligence it's impossible to feel that it's clean. I understand they had some tornado damage last year which would explain why some of the siding was missing off the back of the cabin, but for the price we paid I really think it should have been better maintained. I also wish someone had warned us about the gravel road up to the resort. It was full of deep ruts and very steep. I held my breath going up there hoping we wouldn't slide down to the bottom. Thank goodness it hadn't been raining hard when we were there. As I said, they did a lovely job with the wedding, but unless you really like the rustic outdoors, this is not a luxurious place to stay and I would recommend staying somewhere else in the area.

Room Tip: Check to see if you can get an updated cabin. We also saw one of the bigger ones and it was in need...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hsoprano
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Great location & very peaceful, however, this cabin was not what I expected. Mold in the shower. Shower curtain was ripped & partially hanging off shower rod. Cracked/broken tile in the bathroom. Quilt/comforter on the bed was threadbare & ripped in spots. Large exposed rusted nails on the deck. TV didn't work & there was no remote for the TV. When this was brought to the attention of the office, it was disregarded. There was a note upon our arrival that stated, "Dear Guest, The fireplace is not working-broke down yesterday." REALLY??? No effort on part of management to make amends. The wrong key was left in our cabin & we locked ourselves out...had to climb over the balcony to let ourselves back in. There was NO cleaning service so the fact that there was an envelope in our cabin asking for a tip to clean the cabin is a JOKE! This is one of the worst places that I have ever stayed in....far cry from a romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hobey39
HHRGNR, Owner at Hocking Hills Resort, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you for commenting about your stay at Hocking Hills Resort. We apologize for the condition of your cabin that day. Housekeeping issues are on-going and we work hard to maintain consistent quality; however--and it is no excuse--we fall short on occasion. Please call the office and we can work out an equitable solution to your disappointment. I guarantee you will not encounter unacceptable conditions on your next visit.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Ladyslipper cabin in April 2013 and we had a great & relaxing experience. The place was spacious & clean with everything you need to escape from reality. There is a hot tub on the deck overlooking the beautiful scenic woods. There is a woodburning fireplace inside that we used each day & night as the temps were cool. There is a full kitchen, bathroom with a large shower, master bedroom with a queen bed and living room with 2 futon couches. The upstairs was a loft with 4 twin beds. This is a small community of cabins which consists of 5 small Lovebugs and 2 larger cabins. There is a restuarant onsight as well called the Grouse Nest which we did not try because we brought our own food & drinks but I heard it was yummy. There is a charcoal grill out front which we put to good use. We brought our own speakers to play music from our iphones which was a 'nice to have' as they don't have them in the cabin. The location is great, it is near Ash Cave, Cedar Falls and Old Man's Cave. It sits really high up a steep gravel hill so be prepared for that. Just an FYI....there is NO cell phone service there and no phones in the cabins so it is a true escape from reality. When we arrived on Friday night, our gas light came on as we pulled into the area. I was nervous to run out of gas on the windy & hilly roads with no cell phone so we waited til Saturday morning and went to the front desk. They went above and beyond to help us and followed us in their car to the gas station 4 miles away to ensure we made it safely. Very kind people! Overall wonderful experience and the perfect getaway!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn Lancaster
Hampton Inn Lancaster
#1 of 5 in Lancaster
Hampton Inn and Suites Chillicothe

Been to Hocking Hills Resort? Share your experiences!