“An amazing experience”

Simon Kenton Inn
Ranked #55 of 168 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Whether you're staying overnight or just here for the evening, Simon Kenton Inn has it all with beautiful surroundings, fine dining, a fully stocked pub, outdoor fire pits, and fantastic event space.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I have been going to the Simon Kenton inn for 5 years now. They are easily a favorite of mine. The property is absolutely beautiful and very well kept. Aside from that, the food is incredible and definentley worth the price. In my opinion, they have the best fish and chips in Dayton as well as incredible layered cakes for dessert. The environment is also very welcoming. The Simon Kenton inn offers a unique experience that I have not found anywhere else. I am very pleased with what this establishment has to offer and if you are looking for a unique and enjoyable experience then you should, without a doubt, come to dinner at the Simon Kenton inn.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

If anyone knows me, they know that I tend to rave about this place. We hadn't been at the restaurant in quite some time, so we were excited to have a quiet dinner. For starters, I think they had 1, possibly 2 servers for the entire restaurant on a Saturday evening. Our server was nice and friendly, but the wait times were beyond ridiculous. We waited 15-20 minutes before our drinks even arrived. Simon Kenton Inn is known for it's bread. We were given plain white bread. When we finished the four pieces, which was actually 2 slices cut in half, the server said she'd bring back more with our meals. That never happened. My husband ordered his prime rib medium rare. The piece was very well done. He decided to not mention it to the sever, because at this point, we had been there probably an hour (waiting). I'm well aware that there was a shift change, because the cook came into our "room" to say goodbye to a group of people. I got the penne pasta with basil and chicken. I was very disappointed. They should have kept the old dish (Teresa's chicken). We ate our meals and left... very disappointed.

Unfortunately, within 5 minutes of leaving, my husband became violently ill. Without a doubt, it was the food. I called the restaurant a few hours later (10:00 pm) because he was still very sick. I asked to speak to a manager and the lady that answered told me to hold on and then she changed her mind and said that she was a manager. I explained to her the situation and that my husband was ill and it happened immediately after eating there. She told me that NOBODY has even gotten sick from their food and that nobody else called in and said they were sick, so I must be mistaken. She took my phone number and said if anyone else called to say that they were sick, she'd call me. I never heard from anyone.

We used to love this place. What's sad is that you're treated like you're a burden. I was pretty much called a liar. Add this to the mediocre food and the lack of service. This place has gone downhill. What's pathetic is that you'll find better food and better service at a chain restaurant.

Save your money and your sanity. Go to a restaurant where the employees value your business.

6  Thank fusionchick
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My daughter and bridesmaids were gonna spend the night in the Caretakers Cottage and get ready for the Wedding the next morning. She called for check in time and said they would like to get a couple pictures before leaving for the Church. Teresa the owner told her she could NOT take any pictures outside. And if she saw the photographer taking ONE picture outside she would THROW him OFF her property.....I really feel the owners approach this was offensive and uncalled for. My daughter had to completely changes plans 3 days prior to wedding as if a wedding isn't stressful enough ,,,she had to deal with this,,,

5  Thank c9nelson
SimonKentonInn, Owner at Simon Kenton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

CNelson,

CNelson,
Thank you for the review and your comments, but here at the Simon Kenton Inn we take each event very seriously. When this room was booked by your daughter, she didn’t once let my staff know that she was a bride-to- be. At the time of booking she would have been honest and let us know her plans, she would have known the policy of the Inn. You even stated that she did not tell anyone because she didn’t think she needed to ask.
When weddings/events are booked on the grounds, the Inn will allow them to have complete access to the grounds. Having a guest bride surprise us days before her wedding was completely unfair to the bride that had booked her wedding on the grounds a year ago
Your daughter wanted to take pictures at the same time as the bride that had paid for her event to be on the grounds. Again, your daughter said nothing to me or my staff about having her ENTIRE party on the grounds taking pictures for the price of a lodging room.
Please understand that we would like to accommodate all brides and their parties but we must know in advance of these plans. When I asked your daughter not to take pictures on the grounds as a courtesy to the bride having her event here, she stated “I’m paying for a room and I’m taking pictures”. At that time I let her know that I would ask the photographer to leave if she violated my policy.
I am disappointed that this event even occurred here at Simon Kenton Inn. We have hosted more than 300 weddings here successfully and we would have happy to host your daughter’s wedding also.
In closing, if your daughter would like to put her dress on and contact the Inn for pictures during the week, we would be glad to have her come with advance notice.

T Siejack, Owner

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I went here with a group of 7 to celebrate a graduation. When we arrived there was champagne on the table and the waitress poured for us. Our waitress was friendly and timely - no complaints in that department. I had the prime rib feature which I thoroughly enjoyed. My sides were the mac and cheese, and the potato casserole. The mac and cheese was excellent, while the potatoes were marginal. We had decent cocktails, and the bread and butter was sufficient. The environment is somewhat overrated. I thought the chairs were cheap and the 3 televisions in the dining area weren't really necessary. It would have been even cooler if the place had more rustic charm. Somewhat expensive, but a unique experience.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a family birthday dinner, on a Thursday night, about a dozen of us. Service was ok, not up to the image they are trying to present. I think our waitress really wanted to be somewhere else that night. Food was only so-so. Several of us had the prime rib feature. It lacked flavor, just tasted like baked meat, no flavor. And was very thinly cut. Too thin. Salmon was reported delicious, steaks good. Baked potatoes were huge and cooked well. Salads were a joke, when they were delivered everyone looked aroung the table at each other. Come on, lettuce is not that expensIve. Recommend everyone go once to see the Inn, but cannot make a recommendation for the food.