“Missing Pieces”

Historic Fort Steuben
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

The museum docent set a context for this rendition of the actual fort that seemed very one-sided. His interpretation of its significance was that U.S. soldiers guarded surveyors from attacks by unreasonably savage Native Americans. Surely, today we read history more critically and understand the story of western movement included dramatic displacement and disinheritance of American tribes.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

When my 9 year old and I arrived at Fort Steuben there was a large group of motorcyclists already taking a tour of the fort and we were told it would be about 45 minutes before the next tour started. We decided not to wait but to take the self tour and I think we missed out on a lot of the history because as we walked around the 8 buildings of the fort, the tour guide for the motorcyclists opened the large gate at the side of the fort and let that group go outside but when we got to the gate, it was locked and we didn't get to go out.
There are about 8 buildings to tour and 3 additional buildings that were locked. We walked through them and looked at everything, but without a historical significance behind them, they're just artifacts and displays. The best part of the entire tour was putting my daughter into the stockade and taking a picture of her. Of course she enjoyed doing the same to me.
I don't think I'd recommend this to families with really small children because my 9 year old was wanting to just go in and out of the buildings, look at the stuff and leave.

1  Thank Mrspinney
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This is a rebuilt replica of the original fort from 1789 to protect the surveyors of the Northwest Territory from Indians. For a 5$ donation you get a guided tour of how the fort was manned. It is very much worth it and to find how Steubenville got it's name.

1  Thank ben d
Reviewed 12 February 2013

was waisting time and happened too go and check it out. i hadn't been there in the area in years and was checking it out and it was nice too see it being viewed by many people.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

The exhibits in the fort area (which are outdoors for the most part) are informative and show what life was like at the fort. However, on the day we visited, there were no docents/staff in the entire fort area or any other visitors in the fort area for that matter. It was a little creepy! Overall it was OK, but one visit is enough. Not a place you'll visit again and again.

1  Thank pb4166