“Quaint but disappointing”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stockport
Stockport Mill Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stockport
Tampa, Florida
“Quaint but disappointing”
Reviewed 10 April 2006

One night was enough at this small town Inn. Called rather last min. to book their Captain Nook Suite which covers the entire 4rth floor of the Inn. When we arrived 4 hours later, a computer glitch voided our reservation. They hadn't asked for a contact phone # so we had no idea till we arrived. THey were very apologetic and gave us room 303. Sorry, they said but the jaccuzi tub in that room is broken! But that's all they had. The $120.00 room 303 was presented to us free which would have felt great except this Inn is basic without any frills at all. No elevator or easier steps to manage in the Inn. Bed spreads looked old and washed too many times.Coffee maker is in communal area for rms 301-303. The heat rises in this old mill so in 40 degree outside temp. we had to sleep with the balcony door open.I was told room srvc. is available however, I never saw a room service menu. It's kinda like Petticoat Junction Inn where one person is the front desk keeper, the resturant hostess and waitress. The food was just ok with the limited menu.No smoking in your room, on the balcony only. No alcohol sales there. 10 miles from civilization- just an old country gas station with a few snacks you have to drive to. Truly reminds you of an area for fishermen or hunters to "rough-it".
My basic feeling was:
If the cost of this stay $120 per night then the Inn should compare their services, amenities,quality of bedding, dining etc with that of hotels in cities
( Cols, Cincy etc) that charge that much. They are banking on city folk loving the Muskingham River the Inn sits on so much they'll not mind the slip ups in comfort and amenities.
It was nice to visit, but I won't go back.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank Buckeye460

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 July 2005

They have retained just enough of the old mill structure and architecture to make it unique and interesting, but have added all the modern amenities.

The balcony views are beautiful, and I think almost every room has a balcony. If your room doesn't have a deep inviting, large, claw foot tub, then it will have a Jacuzzi big enough for at least two people as well as a traditional shower/tub combo.

I really appreciated the wood floors and cleanliness. The bed was more comfortable than most hotels.

The many common areas are also pleasant and inviting.

The restaurant meal that I had was VERY GOOD. The homemade beef stew (soup of the day) was some of the best I've ever had. The generous mixed green salad did not come out of a bag. The variety of greens and freshness suggests that it may have been grown locally. I also liked the homemade vinaigrette dressing. The rosetta (multi-grain) bread is baked by a local Mennonite lady, and was outstanding.

The staff is friendly and helpful, and it is a family run operation.

Now for the slight imperfections. Stockport is a DRY TOWN. If you want to enjoy a glass of wine or other alcoholic refreshments, you better bring it with you. The Inn will provide glasses upon request, and you can enjoy your drinks in the restaurant or your room.

The climate control system in the rooms have several settings, but they are not thermostatically controlled. So, it will require some adjustments periodically to keep the room comfortable.

Althought there were other guests at the Inn, I felt as if I almost had the place to myself. - Can't wait to go back!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockport
The Blennerhassett Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Athens
Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens
Ohio University Inn & Conference Center
Days Inn & Suites Caldwell

Been to Stockport Mill Country Inn? Share your experiences!