Wingate by Wyndham Sylvania/Toledo
Red Roof Inn Toledo - University(Toledo)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$179
US$136
US$116
US$104
All reviewsfront desknice hotelnice sizevisiting familyexcellent staydesk staffbusiness tripdefinitely stay here againexercise roomthe breakfast areanice roombed was comfortableeasy accesswaffleslourdesfuneralwedding
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and it was clean and fairly quiet during our stay – despite a busy weekend of wedding occupants from the surrounding area.

The facility is located relatively close to US23 near the Michigan / Ohio border in a very nice town. A local grocery store and gas station are located across the street, while an ATM and pharmacy are located just around the corner. There are also a couple restaurant offerings with a 1-2 mile drive.

We stayed in a handicap-accessible room (it was all they had left in non-smoking) and our only issue was, because of this, the clothes rack was too short and our pants dragged the floor from hangers (small detail).

They claim to be migrating the hotel to be entirely non-smoking (Yay!), but we didn’t pick-up any smoke smell while we were there (except there was a slight odor at the entry upon our arrival). But the rooms were clean, well-kept and the housekeeping staff was very friendly and efficient.

If a nice pool and workout facility is important for your stay, you’ll want to look elsewhere. However, this hotel had the best business center I have seen at a hotel. It was well-equipped with plenty of desk space and chairs, office supplies, a full-size copy machine, fax machine as well as 2 PCs and printers with internet connections. The stunning thing was that all of it worked – how often do you find that?

The breakfast offerings are a little better here than some of the others we’ve seen. And the lady who oversaw the breakfast area obviously took pride in keeping it clean and the items well-stocked. It’s nice to see this versus other places, who often barely check breakfast supplies. Our only disappointment was we waited until the last day to take advantage of it.

Overall, we’ll likely stay here again when we visit the Toledo area. It’s clean, well-located, good value for the money and the hotel folks are very nice…

Room Tip: If you are not a smoker, be sure to call ahead to guarantee a non-smoking room. Apparently, these are pretty popular and can go fast during busy periods.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrisb_in_MI
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Very polite staff, super clean room and facility, decent free breakfast. Everything was great at this location. Nice supermarket across the street that makes deli sandwiches. The town of Sylvania is pretty laid back so you must look elsewhere if you are out after 9 pm

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I booked a room for two nights through Hotwire. As this was the only game in town I sort of knew what hotel I was booking. What I didn't know was that the hotel treats Hotwire clients as second class citizens.
I booked a room for three adults. Upon checking I I was greeted by a front desk person by the name of Kelly. Her grey jacket was tattered to shreds. (No kidding, shreds). She told me I was assigned a King smoking room. I asked for a non smoking room and was told that "Because I booked through Hotwire I got what's left" I asked if a non smoking room would be availible for the second night and was told no. OK, when I got to the room it reaked of heavy smoke and there was one bed for three people. I called the front dest and asked how three adults could fit into one bed. I was told that because I booked through Hotwire we had to fit three adults into on king bed. At that point I called Hotwire and they called the hotel. I was told there were no other rooms and no other hotels within 15 miles. Hotwire said the manager did finally agree to "try" and find a roll away bed for the room. I dare the management to dispute any of these statements. I travel all the time and always report on trip advisor. Please read my other reviews. We went to a store and bought heavy duty Febreeze and a scented candle. We sprayed the entire room with the full bottle to no avail. Management never followed up to check on our condition even after knowing of our problems. I have NEVER felt so degraded.
I would not send my worst enemy to this sub standard establishment.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HJPofi
Sylvania30140, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Sylvania/Toledo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

As the General Manager of the Wingate by Wyndham, Sylvania, I personally wanted to respond to the much valued comments posted. I truly appreciate all comments and constructive feedback and the time taken out to help us improve our service and property.

Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Our objective is to treat all customers whether booked property direct or through a third party website equally. We always want to make things better as quickly as possible.

For this particular reservation the room was booked through Hotwire and was booked as a smoking king room, at a discounted rate on April 19th, 2011, when limited availability was available for a sold out weekend at the beginning of May. As with every guest unfortunately booking a discounted rate for an undisclosed room type through the online booking method we can only do the best we can to accommodate the guests requests. These booking methods do save our customer’s money but do not guarantee room types for certain rates and thus can cause dissatisfaction to our customers when we have no other options available to accommodate requests for alternate room types upon arrival.

Unfortunately on this date we were unable to accommodate the requested room type. The front desk clerk who checked this guest in was unfortunately perceived in a negative way and we would never want our customer’s to feel this way no matter how the reservation was booked. Our staff responded based on availability and explaining how hotwire reservations are booked. We by no means meant for the guest to feel we treated them differently for being a Hotwire booking just that unfortunately we honored exactly what was booked and that there was nothing else available.

We contacted Hotwire to help assist the guest in relocating them due to Hotwires mistake on allowing a three person reservation to be booked in a room with one king bed. This is when we agreed to provide a rollaway bed or for Hotwire to provide, at no additional charge to the guest, relocation to another hotel. If the customer had booked property direct or contacted us prior to going through Hotwire, they would have known that there was limited availability for the dates requested and would have been aware of the smoking room type that would be booked. They also may have chosen not to book their stay with us if it wasn’t what they were looking for. Our front desk was only following procedure when unfortunately Hotwire allowed a booking of three people into one of our king rooms.

We fulfilled our requirement for the reserved room reservation and we would have preferred to honor the guests request if we had something else available. I personally was unaware that offering a rollaway bed at no additional charge and working with Hotwire to relocate the guest, due to their misrepresentation at no charge, was not an attempt to make their stay more pleasant. I am also so sorry that I or one of the managers on duty that day assumed that we satisfied this guest by providing an additional rollaway at no charge or offering a relocation at no charge, as these are two accommodating options under these circumstances.

Due to the fact that we were sold out during the busy summer weekend we were unable to accommodate the request for a non smoking room or a room with an additional bed. If we had one available we certainly would have provided it. I feel awful that this guest had to endure a smoke smelled room and would take pleasure in offering a discount to this guest for a future stay for this unfortunate situation. We appreciate all comments and by all means we want to make each of our customer’s extremely satisfied.

Please review all of our feedback on trip advisor and other online review sites and know we always try our best and we more than please majority of our customers. I always try to personally address any welcomed feedback. We hope that this guest will give us another opportunity and welcome any further feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, Lea MacLaren at -----. Thank you!

Reviewed 21 January 2011

We picked this place for an overnight accommodation on a car trip up to western Michigan, making our reservation on Priceline, and thought it was great. The hotel is newer, very clean and comfortable, in a decent neighborhood about a mile from the Interstate. Our king bed was quite comfortable, the HVAC was responsive and quiet., and our bathroom was spotless. There were a small fridge, microwave and flat-screen TV in the room. They also had free wi-fi and a business center with internet access downstairs. We saw an indoor pool and hot tub. A copy of USA Today was delivered to our door in the morning, and the breakfast (which was included with the room) was noticeably better than average for this kind of hotel; (scrambled eggs and bacon were fresh, hot and tasty). Apparently these Wyndam hotels are Independently owned and operated franchise operations. The management is doing a good job here. The price was reasonable and we had no complaints at all. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EpicureanLawyer
Sylvania30140, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Sylvania/Toledo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Wingate by Wyndham Sylvania while traveling north to Western Michigan. Thank you for taking the additional time after your travels to provide your positive experience to other travelers about your first time stay at the Wingate by Wyndham Sylvania, Ohio. Our goal is to make our guests feel welcome and provide a clean and comfortable stay, with all the comforts of home and amenities you would need at no additional charge. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your bed, the HVAC in your room was efficient and quiet, and that your bathroom was spotless. I am happy that you enjoyed the free expanded hot continental breakfast buffet and 24 hour access to our business center and internet. I am also pleased that you benefited from all of the in-room amenities including the microwave, refrigerator, new 37” flat-screen TV, free WI-FI, and complimentary copy of the USA today during your stay.

Thank you again for choosing the Wingate by Wyndham Sylvania and taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We look forward to your return!

Lea MacLaren
Wingate by Wyndham Sylvania/Toledo

Reviewed 13 December 2010

This hotel is a bit expensive for what it is, but it was a nice stay. The rooms were large and modern. The television was large and HD, although it looked pretty horrible because there was not an HD feed going to it, rather a poorly stretched SD feed. The breakfast was decent, it probably could have been a little better considering the price of the hotel, maybe with some higher quality baked goods. The rooms, public areas, and exteriors were generally clean. The business center was pretty nice. The service was excellent. I checked in at night around 11 and the front desk guy (Keith) was jovial, informative, friendly, and dapper. The fact that a Tony Packo's was nearby was also a bonus as a nice place to get some local flavor.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Sylvania30140, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Sylvania/Toledo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your schedule after your stay to provide us and other travelers with your feedback about your most recent stay with us. We are so delighted to know you had a nice stay and you enjoyed our larger modern rooms and our new 37” flat screen TV’s that we now have in each guest room. We are pleased to share that more HD channels will be provided in the near future as our new technology enhancements are finalized. I am glad you were able to utilize several of our all-inclusive amenities including our business center and breakfast. We have several upgrades to our breakfast coming within the first quarter of 2011 and I will make sure we look at our baked goods options while making those decisions. Service and cleanliness are the two most important values we have to offer our guests and I am so glad that you felt the service you received was excellent and experienced a clean hotel. I also look forward to sharing all of your feedback with all of our staff as this is how we can improve and excel by utilizing the feedback you and other travelers can provide to us. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be.

Happy Holidays,