“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.”

Hampton Inn and Suites Toledo-North
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Akron, Ohio
“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We booked a room for our wedding 3 months in advance. The day before our wedding, we went in and paid for the room and put our things in the jacuzzi suit. A couple hours later we came back and the people at the front desk informed us that they overbooked the suit and had taken our things out of the room. I could not believe it. Not only had we already paid $400 for this suit for the weekend, but the staff touched our things and put them in their breakroom until we came back.

They offered us a free room at the hotel next door and of course we said we'd take it, but the moment that the words were spoken the girl picked up a phone that never rang and told us the room at the other hotel wasn't available.

Then they said they would give us a regular room for $200 for the weekend, but I wasn't having it. After a while they offered us a free upgrade suit, but said it was dirty and we would have to wait. At this point I'm so upset I'm trying not to cry. I'm getting married in 24 hours and I don't even know where in this hotel my things are.

We finally get up to the room and it was disgusting. There was stuff all over the floor, the lights didn't work, the shower curtain had huge holes in it.

We tried to call corporate about everything that had happened and they just said there was nothing they could do.

We got a call from the desk a little while later. The staff bought us a little wedding gift bag from the Meijer across the street. We were thankful for it and thanked all of them but the manager was so ungodly rude to us and all but threw the bag at us. I will never use Hampton again. I've gotten better service at shady motels. Not worth the money and everyone was rude. Never again.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank lynniey727

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Monroe, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Great welcome by staff after a long day of travel, just like you are coming to your own home after a long day of work and bring greeted by your family. Very accommodating to my needs before I even made any requests, very refreshing!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

algonac
Reviewed 2 July 2014

After my car over heated from a traffic jam on I-75 with my two boys, I was more than surprised to arrive at the hotel and see a sign on the door greeting our baseball team, a special letter in the room, and how huge the room was! I was even more please to see the separate bedroom, king size bed, and large bathroom. I was able to take a well needed shower, get a good night sleep, and enjoy my day watching my kid play baseball at his tournament. Believe me, I stay at many hotels and Hampton is one of the BEST! For a mom who sits in bleachers, uses out houses, and prepares for either scorching hot or freezing cold games, staying at a reputable hotel is what makes it worthy, especially when the whole team relaxes in the lobby while the kids enjoy the pool! We all had a fantastic time and we will always have great memories to cherish! Thank you Hampton and staff for making our stay so wonderful!!! My Kids' Mom

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have stayed at so many Hamptons on this trip, it feels like home when we see that blue sign! Of all of them, this is one of th best. It's not a brand new building, but has been updated and maintained so well that it looks like it. When we arrived a little early today...on a Sunday, after a busy weekend for these folks, there was a large crew of ladies diligently cleaning the rooms. They cheerfully greeted us and made us feel welcome right away. The only downside is that it is located on what we perceive to be the northern outskirts of town, but it is convenient to the raceway and was en route to our next stop. Definitely a good stay.

Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This review is not the result of a positive experience. The facility is run down and although in the midst of a renovation there is no excuse for the thread bare carpet, noisy rooms, bad AC, unappealing breakfast and bad coffee. The location is no better than a truck stop in a bad section of Toledo. I did not feel secure parking our car for the night. Our bed was not unlike sleeping on a box spring with a sheet, just completely inadequate. And finally just not worth the $129 plus tax. Look elsewhere especially if you are travelling on 80.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank xjfive
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We were traveling east on I-80, decided to drive two more hours before stopping for the night. A phone call changed the reservation from South Bend to Toledo with the same room type. Changing the destination address in our Garmin GPS made it easy to get there. The staff recommended a great family restaurant nearby. Thanks Hampton!

Willoughby, OH
Reviewed 23 June 2014

While my husband stayed with the car, I was struggling with a full luggage cart. Hotel maintenance guy Bobby was coming off his shift, but held open the outside door and then helped me with the luggage all the way up to my room. What a guy!

Right away I noticed that the hotel suite was uncomfortably warm. While the bedroom A/C responded immediately, the sitting room unit wouldn't budge, and was showing 81 degrees! I called the front desk to ask for help with the A/C and let them know there was no ashtray in our smoking room. The ladies from the front desk took turns trying to get the unit to work, so in between trying to unload luggage, I was talking to them on the phone, answering the door, and sweating like crazy. Finally they called Bobby to come back to the hotel from home, but in the meantime one of the front desk ladies discovered that someone (housekeeping?) had messed with the A/C plug-in at the floor level behind the drape. So finally the room was beginning to cool down, and they gave us a saucer for my husband to use as an ashtray.

Overall it was a good stay.

BEST FEATURES:
- The suite is really worth the extra money if you are staying for several days. We enjoyed having the full size refrigerator (it was easy to stow a full gallon of milk, and we were able to re-freeze our cold packs for the return home), and the spacious sitting area.
- 2 luggage racks provided, so it was easy for each of us to have a suitcase accessible
- Nice range of choices for breakfast, some change in hot items every morning during the 7 days we stayed. Whole fresh fruit (apple, banana, orange) and sliced fresh fruit (changes daily).
- complimentary chocolate chip cookies in the late afternoon; coffee always available
- comfy bed; sink outside the toilet enclosure, toiletries replenished
- when there is a problem, staff is quick to say "I apologize" and try to make it right; after the incident with the towels, staff gave us extra goody bags as a way of saying "sorry for the inconvenience"

WEAK POINTS:
- Be advised that if you have more than 2 people, there are only 2 chairs provided at the kitchen counter seating.
- Décor is practical, not pretty. In the sitting area, one wall is almost empty with just the TV + TV stand, all the other furniture is clustered on the opposite wall. Colors are muted, but the multitude of prints in the curtains, sofa, easy chair, and carpet is too much for my taste. There's no end table between the sofa & easy chair, so no place to set down a beverage. The upholstery & carpeting was dirty and stained, lots of burn marks.
- no towel bar by sink, so the towel that is slightly damp always feels cold & clammy from sitting on the granite counter
- additional service problems with housekeeping: one day the towels we left on the floor or over the tub to be replaced were re-hung on the hook so we could re-use them. This confused us, so we called to questions why. The housekeeping supervisor informed us there were other guest complaints about this! On Sunday when the hotel has a high workload, they don't coordinate with the front desk to identify and prioritize the stayover rooms and the type of check-in rooms needed. We tried to be patient when we returned at 3pm and our room hadn't been cleaned yet, but at 4pm finally asked when could we expect to have our room ready.
- All of our room keys quit working part way through our stay, and my husband had to go back down to the front desk to have them re-made. This is a pain in the @$% when you return to the hotel tired and have your arms full with tote bag, cooler, coffee, etc.!

Room Tip: Third floor corridor is uncomfortably warm.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple