“Stay far far far away” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
“Stay far far far away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This place is just falling apart, and usually that's not a huge deal for my family because as long as it's clean and quiet, we're okay. But this place is literally falling apart - the towel racks fell down from the weight of the two towels they left for my family of four. Their cheapness with providing literally one bar of soap for both the shower and the sink was awful. The front desk representative was absolutely undoubtedly the rudest person I have ever encountered. We had booked a "suite" style for our family as a treat for ourselves and the woman starkly told us that "sorry we paid extra, but there are no suite styles, no fridge, no microwave, no iron, no ironing table, and no free breakfast". We were shocked! We've paid this amount before at far nicer places. Just stay away, it's not worth your time, your patience, your safety! By the way, there was a loud drug deal happening beside our door at 7 in the morning on Sunday - you can't make this stuff up!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah D
YDennison01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Toledo - University, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
I am truly sorry you found your visit with us to be unsatisfactory. My property has been undergoing a refresh for awhile now, and things have improved dramatically. I hope that, in the future, you do not let this one bed experience prevent you from utilizing Red Roof Inns for your lodging needs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have statyed at this property before, and it was a bit frayed around the edges then. (Sept. 2013)

The property is going through a refresh, and while still on going, the newly refreshed room I stayed in was very nice. The bed was comfortable, and the linens and carpet were new, and the furniture was in good condition.

The television in the room was new, and they have upgraded the cable service so that it is truly HD.

I also liked the fact that there are dedicated power outlets for charging cell phones and other electronics built into the night stand. Very convenient.

The free WiFi worked very well too.

The staff is friendly, and check in and check out were fast!

I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MJMColumbus
Thank you so much for your kind words! We are doing our best to up grade our appearance here, and with reviews like yours, I know we are accomplishing that! I look forward to a return visit!
Adrian, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Primarily stay here for business. Friendly, pleasant experiences. Great value for the money. Several improvements over the past year (led tv's, hd channels, new beds) have really improved the experience.

Room Tip: Typically stay on 3rd floor, quieter for me
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
YDennison01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Toledo - University, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you so much for the review, we are working hard to improve the looks of this Inn. Looking forward to your next stay with us!
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The staff were nice, the rood was basic but with a new mattress and clean linen. The room was also surprisingly quite for a ground level room. The outside was being painted which it desperately needs. The only thing I found wrong with the room was that it smelled of cigarette smoke. A quick trip to the nearest Meijer to get some "Good Air" odor removing scented beads and the room was tolerable (We do not smoke so the smell is strong for us).

Room Tip: far enough from the speed way to be quite but close enough spend the after a late night of fun at t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review! We are trying very hard to improve this properties appearance. We look forward to a return stay with us!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

When you travel for youth sports, there are times when you get little choice in the establishment where you will hang your cleats between games.

In retrospect, we would have been better off driving the 2.5 hours each way daily rather than sink our money into this aging monstrosity of sadness.

We found this gem through booking.com. Newly renovated and upgrades were promised but not delivered. So that's a different review and, of course, word to the wise about trusting an Internet booking site.

The upgraded room with all the bells and whistles RR had to offer (ie, a mini fridge & micro) wasn't available. They were overbooked that night by 10 rooms. So they gave us another room and reduced our rate for the night by a few bucks.

The bed was comfortable if small. The carpet and the bathroom floor were new. That was the end of the renovation. The furniture and wall coverings were severely lacking. I've seen tips on Pinterest that would help them make it look less tired.

Add to the debacle that the whole exterior was being painted during our stay, and there was trash and paint chips everywhere and you end up with a hot mess.

I can say that half of our staff encounters were favorable and half were not. In the end, we opted to check out and drive home rather than stay for the second night. It was worth the money we paid to give up the room. We didn't get home until late but it was worth it not to be there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
YDennison01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Toledo - University, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
I am so sorry you had this experience at my property. The website should have, in no way, made the statement that the Inn has been newly renovated. Refreshed is what we call it. Many of our rooms do have new beds, new carpet, a new linen package, and all of our rooms have brand new flat screen televisions. We are working hard to upgrade the appearance of this property, and it is a long process I'm sure you would agree. I have personally spoken with our painting crew about the condition they have made my property while they have been on it, and they have cleaned up their mess. Again, I am truly sorry you experienced this during your stay with us. I do hope that, in the future, you would be willing to give Red Roof Inns another chance.
Grosse Pointe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed here this past weekend. The building is showing a lot of age; peeling paint everywhere, dingy carpet, blinds that don't close without a lot of tugging, thin towels, and saggy lumpy beds. There is no breakfast here, so pick up something at the grocery before, or plan on stopping at any of the surrounding restaurants. Front staff was friendly. We didn't get any cleaning service the first day there, so we notified the front desk. Second day was better. All in all it was OK for the price we paid, but we won't go back.

Room Tip: The trash collectors come very early - about 4am, so get a room away from the dumpsters if you want...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
YDennison01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Toledo - University, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for staying at our Inn. The problems you encountered are currently being worked on. A painting crew is here, and is currently re-painting the entire exterior of the building. Alot of the room sin the Inn have already been refreshed, they have new beds, new carpet, a new linen package, new drapes, and a new flat screen television. I am truly sorry if that type of room was not what you stayed in. I hope that, someday, you will give my location another try.
Baldwin, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

If all you want is a cheap place to spend the night, and you don't care about anything else, then this place is for you. It's a dump. Room access is from the outside only; there are no interior hallways. Paint is peeling off the doors and roof. The stairs are wood planks. The hotel is in general disrepair. The rooms are incredibly small; the table and chair in my room was jammed between the air conditioner and the bed. I had to move them to get into bed. The furniture looks like it was purchased at a garage sale a long, long, long time ago. The carpet is worn out. The wallpaper is peeling. The bathroom is about the size of a closet. The desk clerk was about as friendly as a pit bull on a bad day. I only stayed there one night. Never, ever, ever again. This place is a complete, total dump, and I can't believe its part of a large chain like Red Roof Inns.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
YDennison01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Toledo - University, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
I am truly sorry you experienced this at my property. You may not have been aware of this, but my property is currently undergoing some updating. As I write this, a painting crew is on the property prepping it for an exterior paint job. The past winter was particularly harsh, and did cause alot of our room doors to start peeling. That is being taken care of as we speak. Yes, alot of my furniture is dated, we are doing our best to replace those as we can, and hopefully we can make a better presentation as soon as possible. I am truly sorry you were not happy with your stay, and hope you will give us a chance again in the future.