“Second visit - very underimpressed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Final Cut Steak & Seafood

Final Cut Steak & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Final Cut Steak & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 695 Restaurants in Toledo
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Oregon Rd.
Description: Final Cut Steak & Seafood is a contemporary American steakhouse featuring hand selected USDA Mid-Western Prime Beef, corn-fed and naturally aged up to four weeks to ensure maximum flavor and texture.
Ohio
“Second visit - very underimpressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

First, let me start by saying this was our second visit to Final Cut. We went just after it first opened, and had a very mixed experience. Understandable, as it was new, but now it has been open for well over 6 months, and there were too many weak points on this last visit, especially considering the price.

I also want to qualify this review by stating that we have many friends that go here, and they all love it, and have had great experiences. I can only speak for myself, and while I was optimistic we would also have a positive experience, it simply did not pan out.

First the positives - the room and the service were first rate. They were everything I expected in the restaurant, and the service was certainly fitting of the price. It was excellent from start to finish.

The first problem was my drink. I ordered a special martini. Not complicated, and I order this same martini all over Toledo, and 90% of the time they are perfect. It was made totally wrong. No excuse for this in a high end restaurant.

Next issue were the appetizers. We ordered the lobster club, which all you could taste was the bread, and the scallop blt, and the scallops were a bit cold.

We then ordered a chop salad, which was one of the best I have had, and was absolutely excellent.

For the entree, I choose the ribeye, and it simply did not have the flavor that many other ribeyes have. It was okay, but at over $50, I guess okay just does not cut it.

Finally, we had a dessert, which I don't remember the name of, and it was fabulous as well.

My other BIG issue with this restaurant, was the staff. I believe he was a manager, but there was a restaurant employee who was in the dining room most of the time, and all he did was text. Now, most nice restaurants prefer you not use your cell phone at dinner, but times what they are, I really have no problem with this, as long as users are courteous about it. To see a restaurant employee, who appeared to be a manager, standing in the dining room and constantly texting, I found to be very unprofessional.

I wanted to give Final Cut another chance after my first experience, however after this past, it will take some major convincing to go back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Michael1964

Ohio
“One of the best steaks I've ever eaten”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

We picked Final Cut for an early Valentine's Day dinner, hoping to avoid crowds on the 14th. We were extremely pleased by our steak choices at Final Cut.

The menu had just been changed and the server was a bit unfamiliar with some of the items, but thanked us for asking questions so he could continue to learn the best way to present it.

Unfortunately, a garlic allergy prevented us from trying some of the most delicious-sounding items on the menu. However, after asking about several different appetizers, the chef offered to make the fondue without garlic for us. It's not a traditional fondu. It's a teapot-sized serving of the most delicious cheese sauce served with strips of toasted focaccia bread. The sauce is poured over the toasted strips after it is placed on the table. Yummy! And since our garlic-free version was blue cheese based, we saved it for the steaks.

Our main courses were the 12 oz Prime filet and the 5 oz Wagyu ribeye. We had roasted brussel sprouts and the mushrooms as sides. Both entrees were beautifully presented and perfectly cooked. My Wagyu was so tender it nearly melted in my mouth. The consistency was firm but smooth. If you've ever had regular calf's liver and foie gras, you'll understand the difference between Wagyu beef and a traditional steak - it's a similar comparison.

The steak entrees are expensive, especially for the Toledo area, but worth every penny in terms of taste. Also, unless you're extremely particular, let the chef serve the meat how he thinks it is best enjoyed. I usually request my steaks prepared medium, but the medium-rare selection by the chef was definitely the correct choice for the best flavor. The outsides were seared perfectly and were a good complement to the medium-rare insides.

Salt on the table is a selection of three sea salts: fleur de sel, Himalayan pink and Hawaiian red. The red crystals were a bit larger than the others and we tried each on bites of our steaks.

Dessert was also scrumptious. We shared the chocolate praline mousse, though we requested it without the blueberry compote and with whipped cream instead. That was a good decision as the mousse was very rich and the whipped cream helped balance the richness. Additionally, the bar of mousse was served with a cinnamon crunch coating which was phenomenal. We decided the blueberry compote would have clashed with that flavor. It was 'dressed' with a frozen Crème anglaise lollipop that would have been a magnificent dessert all by itself.

The wine selection is very good, but vintages are not included in the descriptions. The wine list was presented on an iPad, which was a unique way to provide a menu and also allowed for better descriptions of the wines. However, the lack of vintage information was disheartening and we suggested that they consider adding those in the future.

Our oyster starters were disappointing. There were okay, but not great so they detracted from our otherwise wonderful dining experience.

The wait staff were prompt, polite and attentive - there when needed only.

They do have tables with views of the Maumee River, and these are nice, but the view isn't the best and you're not going to go to Final Cut for the river view. Opt instead for one of the rounded booth tables and focus on the food and your dinner companions.

Blissfield
“Three for $30”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

The wagyu sliders and crab cakes for appetizers were superb. Our filets were some of the best we have ever had. The meal was topped off with apple strudel that was delicious. Not to mention they serve a great pomegranate promenade martini and the service was excellent. What more can you ask for?

1 Thank MartiniGirl_8
Toledo, Ohio
“Tasty steaks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

My wife and and another couple and I just enjoyed a fabulous dinner at final cut. We all shared a couple of apps, but the steaks are the real prize. I had the filet $39 as did my wife and we thought it was very good. My friend had the waygu kc steak for $96 and it was good,but not for 96. The best steak was the prime filet for $59 definitely worth the extra 20 for the upgrade from the reg filet to the prime. The wait staff was excellent and the atmosphere was awesome. Very nice for Toledo.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Marblehead, Ohio
“Celebrate a Birthday in Style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

There were 8 people in our group celebrating my daughter's birthday. We had fantastic service and food. It a very upscale restaurant with items on the menu ala carte. The prices were more expensive than what we usually pay when we go out to eat but it was well worth the experience. The people at the table either purchased steak, chicken or seafood with no complaints. There were different grades of meats to select. The accompaniments can be shared with a couple of people. Of course there was dessert of which we tried and weren't disappointed either. For instance we had grand marnier cheesecake, fuji apple strudel and sorbet trio all very good. The servers were always quick to assist us with filling up water glasses, napkins, clean silverware, removing dishes, etc. The restaurant is inside the Hollywood Casino with quiet atmosphere in the restaurant.

• Visited January 2013