“Great sausage, not a hot dog”
Review of Tony Packo's Cafe

Tony Packo's Cafe
Ranked #4 of 699 Restaurants in Toledo
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Hungarian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bellaire, Michigan
“Great sausage, not a hot dog”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We went there twice on a recent trip and found it to be well worth visiting.great Hungarian specialties, like stuffed cabbage, and chicken paprikas.Our extra side dish of fried pickles and peppers, with ranch dressing, salsa, and spicy ketchup for dipping, was great the kids loved them. German potato salad was also great.Try the original location. For a real sense of history about the old place, but it’s where you can see the many hot dog buns that have been autographed by famous people from different walks of life.

• Visited August 2014

Port Huron, Michigan
“Cultural Touchstone”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I was first here in the early 1980's. People knew about it from Klinger on the show MASH. He mentioned it a lot. We went there twice on a recent trip and found it to be well worth visiting. The stuffed cabbage pleased some and not others. We all loved the chicken paprikash (although I know they spell it different but do not remember how. The dumplings, chicken noodle soup, chicken chili, hot dog, and regular chili were all excellent. They have Hungarian food. The hot dog was a tad spicy for me. I think it might have been spicy mustard. Actually, the hot dog is not a hot dog. It is more of a sausage sliced in half the long way. The German potato salad was also great. The only things I heard poor reports on from my group were the fried pickles (worst they ever had) and the cucumber salad. Everything else was great. Look around at all the hot dog buns signed by famous people. There are a LOT!! It is very interesting. I even got a t-shirt at their little gift shop.

Oh, I know I am old (52), but I also loved the music in that place. It really buoyed my spirits! OH, and it does have a bar. Actually, the atmosphere is rather like a bar that also serves good Hungarian food. They have lots of interesting lamps hanging from the ceiling, too. Look around. There is no reason to be bored in Tony Packo's.

If you think Toledo is a bit rough, don't worry. This is conveniently located immediately off of I-280 and they have a security guard in their parking lot.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank nrocpop
Ohio
“First time visitor”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I drove from southern Ohio for the specific purpose of stopping in to try the MOAD, and I was not disappointed. I had to eat it with a knife and fork.
Just be forewarned, this is not a place you go to have a four-star meal. This is a place you go to have a spicy bowl of chili and an awesome hot dog and have some fun. And if you don't have a great time here, it's your own fault.
I loved the atmosphere, and I was waited on by Stephanie, whose northern accent made this old southern Buckeye smile. She was an excellent waitress and checked in on me several times to make sure I was happy, and even tried to find me a way around the massive traffic jam out on I-75.
Overall, I loved the chili, and I loved the MOAD, but I had to wuss out on finishing my pickles because they were HOT. I could only manage about half of them before I waved the white flag.
I did check out the souvenir shop after I ate, and would loved to have bought a shirt, but they were a bit on the expensive side, so I passed. Overall, though, I had a great experience, and can't wait until I can take another trip north to try something else from the menu.

1 Thank ThriftyBuckeye
Rochester, Michigan
“Neat Restaurant and setting”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Had their chicken paprikash, which was great
The wait staff were friendly and knowledgeable and entertaining.

• Visited July 2014
Homewood, Illinois
“A Different Kind Of Dog”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

From what I hear, Tony Packo’s has some great Hungarian specialties, like stuffed cabbage, and chicken paprikas, but my wife and I came here for the famous Packo’s Hungarian hot dogs, and we weren’t disappointed.

Not only does the dog have its own special taste, but the “famous sauce” topping the meat---along with mustard and onions---gives this sandwich a whole menu of complimentary flavors. (Cheese can be ordered as an extra, but my wife and I both forgot to request any.)
My wife had a single, and I had a double. For those of us accustomed to a “double-dog” being two full hot dogs, the Packo way is a little different. My wife’s “single” was actually half a large hot dog, while my “double” was made up of the whole dog---and was very meaty.

For our side, we each ordered original pickles and peppers, which were okay, but not memorable. Our extra side dish of fried pickles and peppers, with ranch dressing, salsa, and spicy ketchup for dipping, was tastier, but the breading kept sliding off the vegetables.

Even though the dogs were very satisfying, we wanted to try a dessert, so we split a hot cherry strudel, with, of course, optional ice cream and whipped cream. This is not the breakfast bar style of strudel, but cherry filling on a very flaky bun, almost a cherry topping. That allowed us to scoop up all four flavors at once. Very good.

If you plan to eat at Packo’s, try to get to the original location. Not only is there a real sense of history about the old place, but it’s where you can see the many hot dog buns that have been autographed by famous people from different walks of life. (Also a souvenir room, where you can buy anything from a refrigerator magnet to a package of Packo’s hot dogs.)

If this place ever franchises to the Chicago area, my wife and I will be regulars.

• Visited July 2014