“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Cleveland, Ohio
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Loved everything about this hotel!! Making reservations was the easiest I have ever made for a hotel. When we arrived, the valet greeted us and helped carry in our bags through the doors. Front desk was exceptional with their smiling faces. Loved the idea of key card access to the guestroom floors, it provided us with extra security. Once we arrived in our guestroom, loved the view of the river and the lights of the nearby bridges. Very nice for downtown Toledo area. Everything was superb and I would highly recommend the hotel again to other out of town guests. I'll be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for your review. We strive for complete guest satisfaction. We look forward to being able to take care of you on your next stay in the Toledo area.

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Our recent stay on New Years Eve was fair at best. We couldn't get the heat under control in the room and the temp was almost 80! The valet parking was a joke - particularly on such a cold, cold night. AND - I didn't notice this until the drive home but I had bug bites on the inside of my arm. Check the beds before you settle in.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SilverLady32
Thank you so much for taking time to write about your most recent stay with us at the Grand Plaza Hotel. I woud like to apologize for any problems you had during your stay. It is through guest coments such as yours that we are able to contually improve our services!
Motown 'burbs
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I won this hotel unexpectedly on Priceline, since I made a rather conservative bid for a 3* in the Toledo Downtown zone, and received notice from Priceline that they had not only accepted my bid, but 'upgraded' me to this 3.5* property. But, after reading some of the recent reviews here on TripAdvisor, I began to have serious concerns about our stay.

We stayed here because we wanted to take in the Toledo Walleye game ("Hockey and Hops Night") between Christmas and New Year's.

No worries at all at check-in. Received notice that valet parking (even if we self-parked) at the hotel itself would have cost $16/night; so, I chose to self-park at the other deck recommended by the hotel (~2 blocks away, for $8/night). No issues with the car overnight.

Received a room on the 10th floor, and took the elevator up to 10. Immediately upon leaving the elevator, I noticed a lingering pretty bad smell (spoiled food? spilled cocoa?) that lingered all the way down the hallway to our room (1015). Entered the room, and happily noticed that not only the bad smell from the hallway was gone, but the room itself smelled fresh and clean (no lingering smoky smell, as other TA reviewers had experienced) - I am a life-long non-smoker, who grew up with parents who smoked, and I certainly would have noticed if the room had even a hint of tobacco smoke. Good news so far, then.

The room itself was clean and comfortable, with nice carpeting and bedding, and a view upriver. Decent towels and toiletries in the bathroom, and no mold in the shower (another complaint of other TA reviewers). However, someone (previous occupant?) had removed the corner shelf / soap dish unit in the shower, which looked a bit tacky. Plus, the shower curtain just barely fit length-wise (top to bottom) into the tub, and I feared that water during our showers would leak onto the floor.

Other TA reviewers expressed dissatisfaction with the firmness of the beds; we chose the bed by the window, which I found firmer than I normally like, even considering that I prefer firmer beds.

No issues at all with noise from neighbors or other guests during our stay.

In the AM, we decided to check out the on-site restaurant for breakfast. No one greeted us when we walked in, and none of the unoccupied tables near the windows had been bussed. We sat down, grabbed menus from the next table after the folks left before even ordering (understaffed at 10:10 am when we arrived), and decided to leave ourselves when we saw that they wanted $2.95 (!?!?) for a cup of coffee, and around $10 each for most of the breakfast entrees - plus, we weren't sure we'd get a chance to order and finish our meals before we had to check out at 11:00 am.

We did not check out the pool area.

So, overall: again, better than anticipated, but the issues with the odor in the 10th floor hallway and service / cost experience in the on-site restaurant rather dissapointed us. Would we stay again? Certainly not at full price, but we'd probably do so if we managed to snag a similar deal on Priceline.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Mike C,
We are very sorry your stay with us here at the Grand Plaza Hotel was anything less than stellar.
I have taken your comments to each department so that we can learn and grow from them. Thank you for taking the time to post them, to help us improve our level of service.

Hope 2014 is a great year for you!
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We chose this hotel because they offered free shuttle service within a three mile radius and my husband and I had a company party to attend that evening. This was the second time we have stayed here because of that particular amenity and even had recommended it to three other couples and they stayed here, too. Unfortunately, the shuttle was not running due to bad weather & hazardous roads, which I understand, so we took a cab to our party. It's because of some other unresolved issues, we ALL will be staying somewhere else next year.
I was going to leave a very positive review, until I looked at the invoice last week and noticed the last four numbers of the credit card used was incorrect. I didn't use a VISA when I reserved/booked or checked out of the hotel. But oddly, I did use this particular card last year when we stayed at this hotel! We haven't even used this card since last year! I didn't panic. I called the hotel and asked to speak with the manager. The girl was really nice and said she would give "BRANDON" the message and have him call me back when he came in at 10am. I didn't hear back from him, so I called again the following morning and was sent to his voicemail where I left him a detailed message. Nothing back. 2 days later, I called again and "BRANDON" answered the phone. I asked him why he hadn't called me back and he said his voicemail was down. Evidently he never got the hand written message left for him either. After going over all the details again with him, he told me they do not keep or store any credit card information in their system. Then he continued to tell me the VISA card was swiped but how could that be when I don't even have the card anymore? I haven't even used that card in almost a year??? They obviously store your credit card info because how else could they have charged it? He didn't have an answer. He didn't even attempt to make it right! That's bad business!
The next day, I decided to call the General Manager Rick to see if maybe he could tell me how this happened and hopefully get this resolved. I have heard nothing back and I left him a voicemail approximately 10 days ago. I plan on getting in contact with my credit card company so they can research the charge on their end.
There is a REAL problem with the management here. Customer service is the key. The hotel itself is nice, but if your management doesn't care or take the time to resolve issues, it will definitely lose any business it currently has and give the hotel a bad name.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Nadia G, Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. It is through our customers' feedback that we can continue to improve our customers' experiences.

We are pleased to provide a clean, comfortable and functional room to all of our guests, so thank you for mentioning this pleasant experience.

Also, we apologize for the inconvenience of not having a working machine for credit cards, it is operational at this time, and again, we apologize for this inconvenience this may have caused.

We encourage you to return and stay with us again, we are anxious to greet you upon arrival.

With kindest regards,
Lapeer, Michigan
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We found the beds were comfortable.The 1st room was suppose to be non smoking had heavy smoke. The 2nd also was non smoking room had a smoke smell but was tolerable. The bathroom shower and tub had mold. The sink had water spraying from the pipes below. The internet Wi Fi was non existent,someone was working on it but it never worked while we were there. The coffee pot has a table set up but no outlet to plug the coffee pot into. The ice machine had a sign to go to upper floor for an ice machine that works. The swimming pool was ok but had a mold smell and tiles were missing/cracked from many places on the pool. The Temp of the pool was good. The desk person Carey was very helpful and considerate. The key cards for elevator and room worked sporadically, this drove us nuts.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
I am very sorry to hear that we didnt meet your expectations! It is always our goal to make each guests stay a positive and memorable one. We were delighted however to be able to reunite you with your laptop that you had mistakingly left in that first room you thought to be smokey.

We hope the new year finds you with prospherity and happiness!
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Book Hotel for a cheer comp that my daughter was having in November. Booked in mid-October. After reviews and some other comments on from others, decided not to stay here.
Cancelled 11/16/2013 - a week before the competition. Received confirmation of cancellation too!
Open my credit card statement only to see they charged my credit card.
Not a good thing!!!! Since I keep this card to a minimum use only for hotels/car for cheer comps.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
First id like to apologize with the stresses that you are having cancelling your reservation. Please provide me your name, and dates of stay, so i can research this for you. I will get this cleared up for you immediately.
Rick Dinan ( rdinan.gptoledo.com ) 419-255-6185
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed here while in town for business. I typically stay at holiday inns but hit this one on a whim.
It got the job done, bed shower n tv is all I need. The location was great, good restaurant and very friendly staff.
Would stay here again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Rick D, General Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for your great review. We strive to make each guests stay a pleasurable one. I will definitely share your comments with the staff. We hope you will again choose us on your next trip to Toledo. If I or my staff can be of any other service please just let us know! Happy Holidays!