“Not a great experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
London, Canada
“Not a great experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel recently with my 2 daughters. Hotel was understaffed and the staff that existed were undertrained and indifferent. Many times there was no one at the front desk at all. If you got lucky (and someone was at the front desk) you'd have to wait 10 minutes to ask a simple question. The bedroom nightlight didn't work and the toilet and shower (which had minimal water pressure) couldn't operate at the same time. No onsite self-parking. Worn and faded carpet. Priceline has this rated as a 3 1/2 star but at best it would be a 2 1/2 to 3 star. Very disappointing experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Nadia G, Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

We encourage guest feedback in order for us to continue to improve our guests' experiences every time. With the busy season upon us, we have hired new staff and many are in training; however, there should be an experienced manager with them or available nearby during the training period, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are currently undergoing coaching, training and development and apologize for our failure to meet your service expectations.

We welcome you to stay with us the next time you visit Toledo and please let us know you are here.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I am a current guest of the Grand Plaza hotel in Toledo. I'm currently staying the nights of 6/29/2014-7/5/2014. Today on Monday June 30th at 7pm I visited the pool area where I was harassed multiple times by your bartender and other hotel employees. After confirming once that I was a guest they continued to return, in an attempt to kick me and other hotel guest out of that area. After coming and attempting to file a complaint with the manager in charge at the time I was left very unhappy with the young woman's attitude. I spend good money to sleep comfortably wherever I travel and expect nothing less from this trip. During this experience I could see why the hotel itself was such a ghost town. The only valuable part about the hotel was the valet. I wouldn't recommend the hotel to anyone. The Guest House in Perrysburg which is a bed and breakfast would be a much better experience they offer much more in a better location for half the price!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Indiasha T
Nadia G, Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your feedback.

Our guests' safety and comfort are very important to us and take very strict measures in assuring this. We appreciate your concern and will certainly consider your experience as valuable training for our staff when encountering guests in our public areas.

We encourage you to return and please let us know you are coming so we may meet in person to thank you for your patronage.

With regards,
Nadia
Toledo, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a night out in Toledo. I will provide a short list of the problems I encountered. One, the valet parking is $16! That is way too much for the City of Toledo. They offered that I park in a nearby parking garage, which would be $8 for the night. So, I opted for the parking garage. Thankfully, I was able to park my car temporarily outside the hotel so I could take my things to my room before permanently parking my car. Two, the room had NO air conditioning. We tried to turn the temperature down, but it would not work. It was more humid in our room than it was outside. We alerted the front desk of this issue, but they did nothing to fix it. Three, the shower curtain was moldy (black mold near the bottom). Four, the alarm clock in the room went off twice in the middle of the night (we never set the alarm). Five, the fire alarm went off at 6:45am. When we finally go on shoes and left the room, it stopped going off. Tried to get back in the room, but the key no longer worked. When we went down to the front desk to ask why the fire alarm went off (and to get our key re-activated), they simply laughed that it went off and said it didn't go off on any other floors. Apparently, there was no concern or urgency for their guests' safety. Sixth, when we were checking out, the guest behind us in line mentioned that she had taken a cold shower because she had no hot water. We did not have that problem, but I thought I should share. After sharing all of these concerns with the staff, we did get the room comped. The cost of a room (and parking) is way too steep for this type of experience. The only good thing about this hotel is the shuttle service. It will take you anywhere in the Toledo area for free, which was extremely helpful! However, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank katpilch
Dear Valued Guest,
thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience.

We encourage your feedback in order to improve our experience level for our guests; not only post stay, but also during your stay in order to give us an opportunity to affect your experience immediately, we apologize that you were not pleased with the service you received at the time you did bring things to our attention.

Thank you for taking advantage of our complimentary, Toledo Area shuttle! We are pleased that you visited parts of the city and may they have brought you more memorable experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future and please do let us know you are here.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I stay in hotels for a living, and am only now getting involved on Trip Advisor (after using it as a reference for years). This hotel is so bad, it made me write my first review.... First of all, the phones in the rooms have white out over the "Crowne" from where this use to be a Crowne Plaza. They obviously kept the name plaza to keep the transition simple. I'm not sure who owns this hotel, but they are terrible and should get out of the business.

Our group didn't arrive until 2am or so. We had some large pieces from work to bring in - guess what? They don't have bell carts. Perfect. Off to a great start. After lugging our large pieces up to our rooms we were all greeted to air handling systems that didn't properly work. As previous reviewers stated, there must be a central control for the system as the panel on the room does nothing. We had them set to 60, and I would say it was mid to high 70s in my room. Nothing like that when it's 90 degrees out. Where to go next... The bathroom? Sure, why not... Mold, wallpaper falling down, terrible lighting, paint peeling from vents over your head in the shower. If you're into these kinds of things, this is the hotel for you. But wait, there's more... They obviously reuse the shampoo bottles etc in the bath - how gross is this? See attached photos. Runny old shampoo all over the bottle from where they've refilled it or dumped other bottles into another one to refill. Awesome.

Stepping into the rest of the space, you'll enjoy a nice sticky carpet floor that's probably never been steamed cleaned. The bed was antiquated but acceptable and amazingly they had outlets next to one side of the bed. The alarm clocks are so bright at night you won't need turn on a light - be sure to unplug that or turn it on it's face so you can sleep.

Lastly, gotta love that horrible in room coffee. I just can't get enough of that stuff.

But I digress.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. It is through your feedback that we continue to improve and deliver memorable guest experiences.

Thank you for bringing your areas of concern to our attention; we are evaluating each one with serious intent and will improve in these areas for our future guests. We are committed to delivering a memorable experience to each and everyone of our guests, one room at a time.

We encourage feedback from all of our guests, and ask that you give us the opportunity to make your stay more comfortable, if not during your stay, then please do contact us directly for a future stay and we would be pleased to share our improvements.

Lima
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

So I stayed in this hotel because there was a deal online. Little did I know that they would charge you for parking. If you want to park at the hotel its $16.00 a day or you can use a parking garage far away. ( Who wants to lug all of there stuff back & forth from a parking garage)

One of the reasons I stayed in the hotel is because of the in house bar & restaurant. The food & drinks were good but i was irritated that there credit card machine was broken for 2 days. The bartender said that i had to pay with cash or she could write down my credit card. (Wasn't happening)

Also make sure you find the correct hours for the bar because they are conflicting in multiple places.

The room I was in was very clean & the bed was comfortable. I did like that there was a plug right on the nightstand to charge my phone

The bathroom lighting is very dim. There is only one light above the sink. Thus the shower is dark & there is no exhaust fan, so the mirror gets fogged up. Also the toilet ran very slow- i had to hold the handle down.

The room had a wall thermostat, im not convinced that i actually had control in the room. I turned it down to 68 and u was still hot.

There are no mini fridges in the rioms but there are ice machines in every hall \ but no ice buckets.

Save yourself some money and bring your own medicine . I bought 2 tablets of alieve and a 20oz diet coke for $7.00

If my company put me up in this hotel & everything was paid for,this may be an option but I would stay at a lesser star hotel to pay more & get more.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Sodapressing
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. It is through our customers' feedback that we can continue to improve our customers' experiences.

We are pleased to provide a clean, comfortable and functional room to all of our guests, so thank you for mentioning this pleasant experience.

Also, we apologize for the inconvenience of not having a working machine for credit cards, it is operational at this time, and again, we apologize for this inconvenience this may have caused.

We encourage you to return and stay with us again, we are anxious to greet you upon arrival.

With kindest regards,
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

If location is your main focus then this hotel is for you. It is located on the river with plenty of places to walk and jog and only a short walk away from the Toledo Mudhens Stadium. However, I was extremely disappointed as the hotel seems to be lacking staff. I have never been to a hotel before where there were 3 elavators and only one running on a Saturday. We waited 28 minutes in line to get on an elavator to take us to our room on the 12 floor! This in itself is ridiculous - people were frustrated! Our room was clean, however, we only had a king size bed - and I wasn't going to sleep with my father - I was told they will bring me a rollaway bed to my room which I said was fine -- well, 2 days later when I checked out on Monday there was still no rollaway bed to be seen! On Monday morning I called the front desk to ask what time breakfast was being served until in the restaurant and was told 11 am. We go down and there were already 12 people down there but the restaurant was not even open. The server said only 1 cook showed up and he was trying to get everything ready for the buffet so, the restaurant was not open at all. I did hear later that it did finally open shortly after 9 am. This is not acceptable! The front desk does not even know what is going on. Management of this hotel needs to get their act together as this is a service oriented industry.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrsEvil2
444Summit, Director of Sales at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our location, however, we were disappointed to learn that we feel short in several areas. Namely the elevator problems you encountered and the staffing issues you encountered. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this caused you.

Your feedback is very important to us so thank you for sharing your feedback. We welcome you to stay with us again and hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your opinion of our property.

Steffen Sheerin
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The parking is annoying. It says on the website that there is free parking, but I wasn't sure where to park. When I asked inside I was told I could Valet for $16/day or park it in a offsite lot - that there was no parking on the grounds. But later that evening, a coworker staying in the same hotel said that she just parked in the front lot free.
Nice things: alarm clock/radio that you can plug your ipod/iphone into and listen to your own music, rain shower head, comfortable bed, cool booklight on headboard of the bed
Not-so-nice things: jerky old elevator, there is no fridge in the room and the ice machine is only available on every other floor, dimly lit bathroom

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KrisChicago_Illinois
Nadia G, Manager at Grand Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our beds and had a comfortable nights' sleep, as well as the pleasant shower and other items you shared. We disappointed to learn of your of the things that you did not enou and plan to make improvements to our elevators through our capital improvement plan.

Thank you for bringing to our attention that the parking is not correct on our website, we are looking at this and immediately will have it corrected and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We welcome you to stay with us again and hope you can enjoy more of our improvements. Let us know you are here so we may meet you in person. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improvement our guests experience.

With regards,