“Not a great hotel”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Dorchester Ontario
“Not a great hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

On the positive side, the front desk staff members were very pleasant and helpful. The beds were reasonably comfortable and the hotel was centrally located in the down town area,close to several restaurants which were within walking distance about 2 blocks away. The Toledo Mudhens baseball field is right across the street. The river view from the window was quite nice.
What we found most concerning was the mold covering the shower curtain in the bathroom and the musty smell which permeated the room. It just did not smell or look very clean. Also, the internet was not working when we were there. The blankets on the beds were very old and threadbare,

Parking was $11.00 per night which made this a pretty expensive hotel stay.If someone was coming to watch the Mudhens, then this is a very handy location since it seems to be the only hotel in the downtown area of Toledo.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Park Inn Toledo, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Weather they be good or bad, we use all of our reviews to gauge how we are servicing our guests.
I can understand your frustraion in regards to your guest bathroom not being as clean as you had expected. I will speak with our Executive Housekeeper and our Housekeepers to make sure other guests do not also have the same issues you did. Please accept my apologies. Should you ever need to stay with again, please contact me directly.

All the best,
Brandon West, Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Clean room and bath, very close to Mud Hens ballpark. Great river views, wish I had asked for ballpark facing views to see fireworks at 9:30 would have been awesome. Beds on the soft side, and although I prefer a firm mattress, very comfy and no sore back in the AM. Reasonably safe neighborhood where walking along river across from hotel is a great option after dinners at nearby restaurants. We got a great rate from Priceline so will be coming here again for more exploring.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Park Inn Toledo, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a reivew for us. All of us at the Park Inn Toledo are very proud of our facility and it shows!We look forward to hosting you again very soon.
Did you know that our hotel has a Best Online Rate Guarentee when you make your reservation at parkinn.com/toledooh? Click on the Best Online Rate Guarentee tab!
Thanks,
Brnadon West
Rooms Division Manager
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Park Inn for a glass conference. First of all, downtown Toledo is practically desserted and this hotel is basically the only hotel in downtown. It is connected to the convention center and very close to the MudHens field and the Huntington Center. When you opened the door to the room, it did not have a detectable odor and the a/c worked. That's where the positives end.
The room and the whole hotel was very old looking and badly in need of renovation. The carpets and the floors in the hotel look old, dingy and dirty. The chairs in the lobby are not inviting.
They charge for parking but at least there were in/out privileges.
Everything in the room looked old and worn. The carpet in the rooms and the bathroom floor looked really worn and dirty. Basically, you didn't want to walk barefoot on the floor or sit on the bedspread. I could imagine what a black light would show and was glad I didn't have one!
The mattress was very thin, as were the sheets. The first couple of nights we stayed there, the bottom sheet was not fitted and it kept coming off, revealing a cheap mattress with a thin mattress pad that covered most of the top of the mattress. It wasn't fitted either. The cleaning people didn't vaccuum or make the bed the first night we were there. The phone was dirty.
We asked for an extra blanket and the one they gave us had holes in it.
The tv remote didn't turn the tv on and off, but it would change the channels. The selection of channels was lousy. Lots of sports (8-10 sports channels out of about 35 channels overall). For news channels, only CNN and Headline News. No Comedy Central, no business channels, no home and garden type channels, NO MOVIE CHANNELS at all.
The internet was about the speed of dial-up, when it worked. At least they didn't charge for it.
The cleaning crew leaves a lot to be desired. In addition to not making the bed or vaccuuming one or two days, they didn't replace the towels (which were fraying and very very thin) or throw out the trash another night. The bathroom either next to us or above made a god-awful noise when they used the shower, which was at 4:26 one delightful morning.
We ate at the restaurant a few times because there was basically nowhere else within walking distance. The food was decent, the service slow. The booth seats had no spring in them at all; you just sank down. The tables were tiled, and the grout was very dirty. Prices were reasonable and the cook would alter items to your taste (change of bread, change of type of cheese, etc., for example).
There was no gift shop or anyplace to buy small items, candy bars, etc. or bottled water (Toledo water tasted like chlorine to me). No newspaper delivery or even newspapers for sale that I recall.
The front desk staff was pretty nice, but no real follow through on things.
It isn't a hotel I would recommend except for the fact that it is really the only downtown hotel and it is connected to the convention center. (the horror stories from people staying at the Grand Plaza formerly Crown Plaza, including no a/c and hopelessly stopped up tubs, make me ignore that hotel's existence and the Seagate hotel was closed and for sale). So, if I HAD to return to Toledo for a convention, I guess I'd stay at the Park Inn, but it isn't something I'd look forward to.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
ramadabrandon, Manager at Park Inn Toledo, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
I am dissapointed that your stay did not compare with what we measure as a great stay. We are expected to exceed our guests needs and expectations and are thankful to receive feedback such as yours. This hotel is now under new ownership and management. Moving forward, our challenge is to eliminate the very issues you speak about. On June 25th, our entire Wireless Internet service is going to be totally revemped. Soon we will be replacing corridor carpets as well as doing many capital improvements. I know that these changes do not reflect upon your stay, I hope you understand that we take reviews such as yours very serious. If you are ever in Toledo again, I encourage you to call me directly.
Waukesha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

One night stay as a stopping point on the way to Cedar Point. Honestly booked as part of the Club Carlson promotion. The main assest is location. It is in the middle of downtown and the convention center, ballpark, restaurant, view of the river. I was disappointed in the hotel. It is a below average downtown facility. I expected more from the Park Inn (name) or I misunderstand Carlson's new Park Inn brand. I anticipated a more modern updated facility. The rooms are economy grade. (stayed at a Country Inn on the same trips and it had much better rooms) Old bed's standard hotel linens, old pillows. Bathroom was older (with some rust stains) and slow to get warm water. The place was sold out for a convention so I can ignore some lack luster front desk service. The hightlight was the staff in the bar/restaurant Mad Mike's. I arrived just before the 10:00 pm closing time and the waiter let me order take out food to take back to the room. It was great bar quality food. Stayed for a few drinks, the bar was paked, but the staff hustled to mix drinks and pour beer. If you want a hassle free downtown (not use your car) experience this hotel is fine. If you want a lot more luxury experience..I would look around. FYI Parking is $11 a day... If you can book the rate with the Free Parking and $20 food credit, I would take it.

Room Tip: Ask for view of the Ball Park.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Park Inn Toledo, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
I am dissapointed that your stay was not what you had expected overall.
We are expected to exceed our guests needs and expectations and are thankful to receive feedback such as yours. This hotel is now under new ownership and management. Moving forward, our challenge is to eliminate the very issues you speak about. As an indication of our commitment to our guests, we have just installed a new HIgh Speed Wireless Internet that is free for guest use. This replaces a slow system that most guests found frustrating. Soon we will be replacing corridor carpets as well as doing many capital improvements. I know that these changes do not reflect upon your stay, I hope you understand that we take reviews such as yours very serious. If you can find the time, I would appreciate a call from you so that we may discuss the lackluster service you experienced with our front desk.
Thank you for your kind comments concerning our restaurant. I will pass your comments on to their manager.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Chose this location to be within walking distance to the Huntington Center for a Cirque Di Soleil show but was concerned about some of the negative reviews I had read.
All in all - it was a good place to stay. Our 10th floor king corner room was truly clean. The view of the riverfront and beyond was beautiful. Staff were helpful and courteous. The restaurant on premises did a fine job with service and food quality. No major complaints.
Was it a stunning stay? No. But it was completely satisfactory for our two night stay.
Could not hear noise from other rooms. Housekeeping responded quickly to requests but did not clean the room until we arranged a good time with the front desk. Parking was convenient and lobby was welcoming and bright.
Easy distance to Toledo Museum of Art and the Toledo Zoo - two of our favs.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
I am delighted to see that your stay with us went as well as planned. It is our goal to serve each guest beyond their expectations and I am glad to share your comments with the rest of our staff. As with any guest, we welcome feeedback on how good or bad we are doing so that we may critque our processes and fine tune our facility to meet the needs of our guests.
Greater Cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

I was here on business so I didn't pay for anything. I appreciated the location of the hotel. It is a good point to walk to various downtown Toledo destinations from and it is close to the Maumee River. It was attacked to the convention center that I was attending.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
ramadabrandon, Manager at Park Inn Toledo, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Thank you taking some time out of your busy day to leave us your review of our facility. Weather it is good news or bad, we take our reviews very seriously and present them to our Management staff so issues that happened in the past do in fact stay in the past. I am fairly new to my position, but it is quite clear that we are on the road to pleasing every guest while making sure their stay is a comfortable and producitve one.

All the best,

Brandon D. West, Rooms DIvision Manager, The Park Inn Toledo
DeKalb, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Our room, which was located conveniently downtown, and had a nice view of the river, had some issues. First, there were places where the wallpaer was peeling up, not really a big deal. Secondly, there was what appeared to be a bloody booger on our window, which added to our viewing pleasure. :)

Finally, and most concerning and I'm kicking myself for not doing something at that moment,...some hotels, instead of cleaning a room, will spray the room, and in particular beds and pillows with a disinfectant. Our room had been clearly done that way. Some people are sensitive to it, some aren't. I just happen to be.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends