“Sad to see this hotel lose Hilton status”

Radisson at The University of Toledo
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Toledo
Reviewed 10 February 2013

This hotel has the BEST staff who all go out of their way to make one welcome and comfortable. In my experience, everyone - from the bellmen to reception to housekeeping to restaurant staff and bar etc. does everything possible for your comfort. However, the management desperately needs to keep the Hilton status - hopefully a Hampton or Doubletree. Many of us are regulars and we miss our Hilton points and the Hilton "experience". In addition, the "tone" of the hotel (especially the lobby) without the Hilton oversight is changing. For example, the comfortable leather couches in the lobby have just been replaced with the ugliest, cheapest-looking, most uncomfortable modern seats and plastic illuminated, square tables that (to most) appear "tacky". Not sure why? it looked a lot classier before. The guest rooms are also in need of updating (flat TV screens etc.). Hopefully this hotel that is so ideally situated for the University (and with the greatest staff) will find the right partner soon.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Radisson at The University of Toledo

Reviewed 6 February 2013

We had to arrive at 3am and the receptionist guy informed us that he does not recommend the hotel since it has just been stripped of being a Hilton. He offered finding us a new hotel even though we booked at this hotel two weeks in advance. But it was 3am so I asked to please have a room here. He printed our receipt for the night and the hotel was called "Hilto" not Hilton. We were concerned a bit if our credit car information was safely stored due to these changes. But the room was pretty good and clean. We were awoken at 8am by the roomer cleaners not because they knocked on our door but because they were speaking really loudly in the halls. The pool was nice, and location is good. There is security so no worries there.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2013

This place was DROPPED by Hilton as of the new year, and I can see why. I am trying to get my confirmation # from Dec.29, all i get is the runaround.

The reason I have an issue to begin with, is that at the on-site restaurant, I mentioned I cannot eat dairy, and stressed this. I asked which breakfast items contain dairy. I was told the eggs were safe.

After eating the eggs, I asked about them again, just to make sure. They said that it contains cream. Well, that messed up my return trip home, as I am lactose-intolerant. We had to stay another night on the way home because we couldn't make the trip due to my sickness.

Now I can't get a simple confirmation number (which was NEVER given to me in the first place).

I'd advise everyone to steer clear of this dump. Oh ya, the pool area was FREEZING! I mean, the air was extremely cold, shivering cold...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I traveled to Toledo, OH from Montana for an interview. It was a very long traveling experience and I had booked a budget hotel through one of those flying/hotel packages. My bag did not make it and was not supposed to arrive until late the next morning. I then ended up at a total run-down, nasty inn. Being a young female, I did not feel safe so I broke down and called my parents who were very worried. My dad proceeded to call the Hilton hotel and told the nice receptionist about my story. It was 1:00am and within 30 minutes, Rob (I believe he was the night manager) picked me up from my hotel and brought me to the Hilton free of charge. He said I reminded him of his daughter and he treated me as such, arranging for his father, Ben to take me anywhere I needed to go (since my bag had not made it). The next morning, one of the drivers, John, personally made a trip to the airport to tell the airline he would be picking up my bag and to contact him as soon as it arrived. My bag was promptly delivered to me at the hotel about an hour before my interview.

These men went above and beyond to help me and turned a very unpleasant experience into a good one. I cannot thank them enough!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I have had many weekly stays since August and continue to find this hotel is a one that is consistently welcoming, attentive, clean, and comfortable. It is located next to the University of Toledo Medical Center and close to many franchise restaurants. Be sure to visit the bar and meet a great bartender, Scott.

Room Tip: There is no spa but it does have an indoor pool for lap swimming and a small workout room. Rooms on...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Janet N
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I was here on business, and I've stayed before. The hotel itself is quite nice, all staff seem friendly, and the rooms are nice.
Beds are comfortable and the pillows are plentiful and in good shape. Linens are soft and nice, towels are of good quality.
My travel planner screwed up my reservation (I think she hates me or something) and they did not have a King bed. Nor did they have my honors # and even when I gave it to the guy at the desk he could not pull it up (but he was allegedly a manager, not a front desk clerk, so that may have something to do with it) Due to the screw up with my reservations, they did give me a couple of drink coupons, even though the screw up was my travel person, and not theirs.

They have a nice looking indoor pool and one of these times, I will actually have time to use it I hope.

My meetings were in the hotel, so I can comment on the catering. For the most part it was good. The Mexican lunch was the best; least favorite was the cold cuts and potato salad - blah. The room attendant for the meetings was the same every day and she was very nice.

Room Tip: Especially if you have a "travel planner" call ahead and make sure they have your reservat...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2012

My family stayed here for one night in June of 2012. The hotel is nice enough and clean. I did wait in line (only one couple in front of me) to Check-in for a very long time. My request for some extra coffee in our room never happened. We were also never told that there was some kind of construction going on and only figured that out when we heard the loud pounding before 9 am. We did not use the pool, although it appeared to be nice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Hiltontol, Manager at Radisson at The University of Toledo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

November 1, 2012

Dear Swtsunshine,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment regarding your recent stay at the Toledo Hilton. We understand that you had many choices in the Toledo area and are delighted you chose to stay with us. We do apologize for any inconvenience you encountered. It is not the type of experience we would like our guest to have and when brought to our attention we can address the issues. Our passion is exceeding our guest’s expectations daily and to make everyone feel cared for, valued and respected! Again we apologize for the inadequate service levels from your June stay.