“Just a place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Urbana
Maroa, Illinois
“Just a place to stay”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We needed a clean place to stay for a few nights in Urbana where choices are few. We booked this as it was reasonably priced. Place was reasonably clean although we found a pair of someone else's dirty socks under the bed while looking for the dropped charger. Wi-Fi was non-existent, we used our own hotspot with excellent results. We went elsewhere for breakfast as cereal, plain bagels, packaged rolls and Sunny D was mediocre. Think we will check other choices next time, if there is one.
Oh and there was smokey smell in the hallways from the other end of the hotel where smoking was allowed, however it wasn't noticeable in the room. Also there was no mini-fridge in the room, but a microwave and coffee maker were provided.

Room Tip: Non-smokers need a room far from the front desk on the non-smoking side.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New Lebanon, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I had to spend several days in Urbana for business. I really did not want to travel far and only needed a clean room, bed, and bath. After reading some of the other reviews I decided that this would probably suit my needs. Note that I have stayed in some of the best like the Homewood Suites and know the difference. Upon Booking I was asked about memberships and did not have to ask for discounts. The room was reasonably priced, clean, free Wifi and cable, soft bed, plenty of towels, and the bathroom was spotless. While the place is dated... the staff at the desk and cleaning crew was very cordial and worked with me to get me in early and out late meeting my work schedule. I was even surprised by the entire cleaning and replacement of towels between that two night stay. I did not expect much for a free breakfast, so I was not disappointed, and there are plenty of places to catch a quick one on the way into town. I am not sure when these other reviews were written but it is my opinion that management has also read them and are working to correct any deficiencies. I have another trip to Urbana coming up and plan on staying there again. I felt they were working hard to overcome some of the bad reviews.
Keith B.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker which I am and if the smell of smoke bothers you make sure to reserve a non...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Keith B
Fleetwood, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Front desk staff was nice. Outside of hotel is nice. Apparently no housekeeping services (towels/toiletries) are offered on a multiple night stay. We had to put dirty towels out in the hallway but didn't receive replacements. Free breakfast definitely not impressive... poor tasting coffee, no half & half and Sunny-D served instead of OJ. Room was fairly clean, as long as you didn't inspect too closely. Upholstery on some of the chairs in the room was very dirty/faded/stained. Did not sit on them. Saw gum & trash all along the underneath/edges of the bed. The entire hotel smelled of cigarette smoke. If you are sensitive to it, don't stay here! If you must stay in Urbana and don't want the expense of a B&B, this is the only good option. I expected a slightly better hotel/experience for the rate charged.

Room Tip: There is no elevator in hotel. Ask for a room AWAY from the stairwell, as it is very loud with peop...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ls0403
Junction City, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I made reservations for this hotel but had to canecl hours before check-in time. When I called to cancel the manager told me I had to cancel within 24 hours of my reservation which was not told to me during the reservation set up. I was informed that I had to cancel before 6 pm by the reservaitionist which I informed the manager. The manager informed me that they will cancel my reservation and not charge my card. I came home and they (Country Inn) left a message that they did charge my card because they did inform me of the 24 hours dead line to cancel reservation. How are you going to tell a consumer one thing then turn around and and not honor what you AGREE to do!! Not good business at all, it leaves one to think what type of service you will receive once you have checked in. There are better and more honorable hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Stay away at all cost.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Julius C
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed there one night to be close to the ohio caverns. The desk clerk was not friendly . The phone did not work, the sink would not drain, the carpet was stained, Also one lampshade was stained badly. We could of got a room at another chain hotel for the same price or close to it. Dont say here you will be dissapointed.

Room Tip: The room we were in is 119 dont do it!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sheila L
Nashville
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I booked a reservation at the Country Hearth Inn in Urbana Ohio this summer. We had to cancel the reservation, which I did in plenty of time and got a cancellation number. Imagine my surprise when I found they had charged my card anyways! I called and got the manager -- she was extremely rude and unhelpful. She said "maybe" the owner would call me back in 5 days. Bottom line: after multiple phone calls, waiting for SIX WEEKS for them to refund my card, and promises that a "check is in the mail" there is nothing. I will file a fraudulent charge report with my credit card company.
DO NOT STAY HERE. It's a dumpy looking place anyways. You will be much better off to drive a few more minutes and stay in the Comfort Inn in Bellefontaine. There's also a very nice B&B right down the road in Urbana.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank BarbaraLW
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The decor is very 1980s but it is a clean facility. There are only two floors and maybe 50 rooms total. There are a few smoking rooms and you can smell cigarette odor in the public areas but it wasn't noticeable in our non-smoking room. The beds are comfortable and there is free wi-fi. They offer a free continental breakfast but if you want something more than store bought donuts and juice or a bagel or cereal cross the street to the shopping center and eat at the Big Boy restaurant. The hotel is very close to a grocery store, a Wal-Mart, several fast food restaurants and a gas station/convenience store. If you drive a few miles down the road you will find the local sit down restaurants and a movie theater. This hotel is clean and conveniently located but small. There doesn't seem to be air conditioning in the common areas (hall and lobby) but it works quite well in the rooms. Some rooms have jaccuzi tubs and some rooms have microwaves and mini refrigerators. Overall a decent place to stay if you need a no frills (and no pool) clean base if operations for your stay in the area or while passing through to points elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Rwindh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
Comfort Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield
Hampton Inn Marysville
Hampton Inn Marysville
#1 of 5 in Marysville

Been to Urbana Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!