“Over an hour to get our food but it was good. Service was fair.”
Review of Original Rib House

Original Rib House
Ranked #18 of 39 Restaurants in Vandalia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Pleasant Hill, Ohio
“Over an hour to get our food but it was good. Service was fair.”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Last weekend was my first time eating here. My son comes often and suggested it. He was leaving just as we were arriving by chance. He was waiting for his credit card to be returned. It seems the waitress took it for the check and left it laying somewhere. It took about 15-20 min. before she finally returned with it. He commented to me yesterday that there is a strange charge from Sears on his card this week and he hasn't been to Sears. I hope the two events aren't related.
So anyway, we've heard they have great steak and they had a filet mignon special so I ordered that. Unfortunately it was over an hour after we ordered before we ever saw that steak. Why the daily special would take over an hour is beyond me. The place wasn't that busy either.
When the food arrived it was very good. Good enough that I'll give this place another try in spite of the very long wait. My guess is the waitress never put our order in as we had the same waitress as my son.
Another couple had been seated at the table next to ours just before our food arrived. Their food arrived at the same time ours did. That's right, we wait an hour, they wait 5 min.
One other thing that concerned me. The mushrooms I ordered had a lot of pink on them. I couldn't figure out what it was so I asked the waitress. She had no clue. I asked her if she'd check with the kitchen and she huffed at me and left. She returned and said it was BBQ sauce from the tongs. Why would the kitchen be using the same tongs for meat as the mushrooms? I certainly hope they don't give someone food poisoning by handling meat and cooked foods with the same tongs.
Perhaps my delay was in the kitchen after all. If they don't know the basic rules of not mixing meat tools with non-meat tools perhaps they can't get the special out on time either.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank cdsJerry

Vandalia, Ohio
“Why do the locals LOVE this place?”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Hi prices, poor-slow service .. dismal, old-time atmosphere. Overall > B-A-D!

Visited November 2011
2 Thank Jack F
Virginia
“Glad I stopped by on the way to the airport!”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Souix City root beer - delicious. Good soup, huge pulled pork sandwich, fresh cut fries. What's not to love! Wonderful waitress. Definitely worth taking the longer route to the airport.

dayton
“A longtime staple”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This is a longtime staple for the local area. Friendly staff, good food and reasonibly priced. Good steaks, salads and many like the ribs (not my thing).