“So Happy with our lodging”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vermilion
Cottages at the Water's Edge
Ohio
“So Happy with our lodging”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

My sisters and I were looking for a place to take our parents for their 60th anniversary and I found the cottages at Water's Edge in Vermilion. We rented the "Guesthouse" for two weekdays and were delighted with the entire experience.

The Guesthouse is probably the original farmhouse on the property so this was no small cottage. It has a long enclosed porch with windows looking out onto Lake Erie..we had our family breakfasts/luncheons here with the cooling breezes from the lake adding to our enjoyment. The kitchen has been totally renovated with newer appliances and corian sink/countertops. The LR has one sofa, a large recliner and a smaller loveseat..maybe could seat 6 at the most. The front porch faces Rte 6 and has two chairs and a small patio table..delightful for watching the corn grow!

I am extremely particular and this whole house was spotless...down to the whitepainted floorboards upstairs with no dust, anything. Bathrooms spotless. There is a washer/dryer in the downstairs bath..very spacious.

There are 4 bedrooms, 3 upstairs one of which is very small with a double bed and small dresser. The other two had multiple beds and could sleep between 5-7 guests total. The mattresses were wonderful; the linens crisp and smelled great. The main floor bedroom is huge with two upholstered rocking chairs and a patio door opening onto the back deck..all with a view of the lake.

The grounds were spotless reflecting the owner's attention to detail...beautiful huge hanging baskets of petunias were everywhere. Volleyball, corn hole and shuffleboard are available with lots of childrens toys in one area. I could see where this could be an active place in the middle of summer, but it was a wonderful, quiet retreat for us.

The beach is clean and there are at least a dozen sturdy plastic white lounge chairs on a concrete pad close to the beach. We loved the lone willow growing out of the breakers.
Our older parents and aunt/uncle enjoyed sitting under the portico on the swing and the oldfashioned chairs from the 40's that are painted a cheery yellow.

All in all I would go back in a heartbeat. Therese and her husband have owned this place for 27 years and take great pride in their buildings and grounds. Obviously, we didn't stay in any of the smaller cottages, some quite small, but during our stay at least three other cottages were rented and the guests we spoke to seemed happy.

Room Tip: If you are the lucky one to draw the straw to get the spacious downstairs bedroom..lucky you. Great...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank suechef

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ohio
Reviewed 14 February 2010

My family visited the cottages last summer, and I just made my reservation to go back this summer. My three children love the beach, meeting new friends and the nightly fun around the fire pit. It is a wonderful family environment and the owners are especially kind and welcoming. My favorite thing is the simplicity of the darling cottages. A vacation here takes me back to my childhood and simpler times. Not once during our stay did my children miss the television or video games, and I never heard them complain they were bored. If you are looking for wonderful family memories, I highly recommend Cottages at the Water's Edge.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Beechcottagegirl
Cortland
Reviewed 11 September 2009

My husband and I rented the 3BR cottage called The Rose Cottage. It had 2 bedrooms with double beds and one with two bunk beds. My sister and children could not make it down , so we had all this room to ourselves. We also had a privat patio area that had a beautiful garden and patio set (with a fence for privacy from the house they rent next door). We loved the grounds of this place....very spacious and very open. The fire pit is lovely as well as all the old antique metal chairs from the 1950's everywhere. The beach is down quite a few stairs but it's such a nice area to sit at the little wrought iron tables and chairs they provide on the cement patio right next to the sand. The owners are very sweet and very helpful. We went to a new winery in Vermilion named Paper Moon. It was very pretty and for Ohio wine..it wasn't bad at all!! Also went north a few miles to the Erie Kai Tikki Bar. You have to stop over there ....it's worth seeing all the decor. All furniture imported from the island of Bali.
I would highly recommend this to couples or families....it's great!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rozy288
usa
Reviewed 21 January 2009

This place is beautiful and very close to many attractions, but don't let that fool you. The bigger cottages had an ant problem when we were there. We dealt with it but it was hard to have an appetite when they are crawling all over the boxes of food. It is a family environment. The owners allow alcohol but look down on you if do drink it while enjoying your well needed vacation. There is a fire at night around the fire pit but make sure you sit there every night and get to know everyone or you will not fit in nor feel welcomed. Children are welcomed but need to be on their best behavior as if they are in school. There are many other cottage rentals around to consider. especially if you want to have a fun time.

• Liked — Watching the sunsets with my husband drinking wine
  • Disliked — The aggrivation, the ants, feeling like we were in a prison camp
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank happydaysahead
cottages_house, Owner at Cottages at the Water's Edge, responded to this review, 25 February 2011
Wow! Not sure what this is all about. I don't recall rounding up our guests to make them sit at the fire! We spray the grounds for ants and spiders yearly. If we see any evidence of ants when cleaning we intervene. Our guests need to tell us if they see a problem and we will take care of it. My husband and I enjoy wine many evenings while watching the sunset! So we don't look down on guests enjoying alcoholic beverages. However, we do not permit drunken behavior as we promote a family atmosphere. We disagree with this review.
Windsor
Reviewed 21 August 2006

We recently stayed at Cottages at the Water's Edge in Vermillion, Ohio.

The cottages have a great location - 15 minutes away from Sandusky and less than 1 hour away from Cleveland. You can have the perfect mix of beach holiday, amusement park attractions and big city fun.

The cottages are relatively inexpensive so they are small and pretty basic but they are good value for the money. The beach is nice and sandy and shallow. There are basketball nets, a shuffleboard, horseshoes and a bean bag toss. Each night the owners set up a fire in the fire pit where all the families congregate to roast marshmallows, prepare S'mores etc. The owners are very hospitable and it is a great place for a family.

9 Thank CanCelt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vermilion
Holiday Inn Express Vermillion
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Port Clinton
Comfort Inn River's Edge
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland/Sheffield
Plantation Motel
Plantation Motel
#5 of 7 in Huron
Cedar Point's Lighthouse Point

Been to Cottages at the Water's Edge? Share your experiences!