“Great family place on the water. Amazing 1950s style”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vermilion
Cottages at the Water's Edge
Paris, France
“Great family place on the water. Amazing 1950s style”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Great place for families. The owners have religiously kept a 1950s vibe to the place. It is like time travelling into Mad Men on the lake. Great place for kids of all ages with games provided on the beach and in the garden.

Room Tip: The rose cottage is tiny but right on the lake and offers incredible views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank MathieuL7519

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We have stayed here 2 times before and every time it has been an excellent stay.People are Great and the grounds are well taken care of.It's been a new adventure every stay with many return guests.Love the seclusion ,beautiful sunsets, fire at the fire pit and access to other adventures close buy.We would love to return again.

Room Tip: IF Your looking for the Hilton you won't find it here.What you will find is affordable accommoda...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Toby G
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My in-laws rented the guest house for a week, and we came for a long weekend. The house was clean and in good condition. The kitchen seemed to be fully equipped and the bathrooms were relatively updated. There was plenty of room outside to play games, and the beach was a lot nicer than I thought it would be. The best part was that there were two small kitties who were very friendly. There were just a couple things that would have been nice to have, but they aren't deal breakers. The couch was rather uncomfortable and smelled a little musty. Also, the TV in the living area is really old and has a terrible picture. I realize the point of being there is not to watch TV, but it would have been nice to have. No one in our group had much luck connecting to the Wi-Fi. That was a disappointment. Finally, the room we stayed in (upstairs across from the bathroom) didn't have a fan, either a ceiling fan or one on a stand, and that would have been really nice for air flow as well as white noise. I have no idea how much they paid, so I can't speak to that. Overall, the property was nice and I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jennifer1347
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I have been coming here since before I could walk. I love this place, as does my family. Close to everything, fires by the lakeside, quiet family atmosphere. Nice beach. I have so many fond memories of this place. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank Allisonbennett79
Kouts, Indiana
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We arrived after a 4 hr drive, and were very disappointed in the "plywood box" (those were the owners own words) that we were shown.The foundation consisted of unsightly rotting wood all around the bottom and when we complained about the strong smell of urine inside, we were told thats just the smell of wet plywood. The cushions on the couch were setting upright to dry (maybe the source of the smell?) Not a place my husband and I would have been comfortable staying, or even bringing our belongings into. To be fair, the view of the lake was great, but not the accomodations. We were told "they never refund a deposit," Not a happy ending to a long awaited birthday week-end.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bl2008
cottages_house, Owner at Cottages at the Water's Edge, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
The Rose Cottage is one of our most popular cottages. Yes, it is 60 years old, but that is what gives it its character. The cottage IS made of plywood but what is wrong with that? It doesn't have a urine smell! The cushions were set up on the couch after vacuuming. We offered this couple another cottage and they did not even want to look. The pictures on the website show exactly what the cottage looks like. Our policy, made known upfront to all potential guests, is that we do not refund deposits. We are a small family business without access to a replacement party if someone decides not to come. We tell someone who must cancel that we will try to rent it and if so, I will return their deposit. In medical emergencies, we make additional exceptions. This party did have other options here which they refused to even consider. Two weeks after they left here, they called and asked again for a refund of their deposit and said if they didn't get it, they would write a poor review on our business. We have been in business for 29 years and this is the first time someone did not want to stay in the Rose Cottage! And that's the end of the story!
Ohio
Reviewed 26 August 2011

My sisters and I were looking for a place to take our parents for their 60th anniversary and I found the cottages at Water's Edge in Vermilion. We rented the "Guesthouse" for two weekdays and were delighted with the entire experience.

The Guesthouse is probably the original farmhouse on the property so this was no small cottage. It has a long enclosed porch with windows looking out onto Lake Erie..we had our family breakfasts/luncheons here with the cooling breezes from the lake adding to our enjoyment. The kitchen has been totally renovated with newer appliances and corian sink/countertops. The LR has one sofa, a large recliner and a smaller loveseat..maybe could seat 6 at the most. The front porch faces Rte 6 and has two chairs and a small patio table..delightful for watching the corn grow!

I am extremely particular and this whole house was spotless...down to the whitepainted floorboards upstairs with no dust, anything. Bathrooms spotless. There is a washer/dryer in the downstairs bath..very spacious.

There are 4 bedrooms, 3 upstairs one of which is very small with a double bed and small dresser. The other two had multiple beds and could sleep between 5-7 guests total. The mattresses were wonderful; the linens crisp and smelled great. The main floor bedroom is huge with two upholstered rocking chairs and a patio door opening onto the back deck..all with a view of the lake.

The grounds were spotless reflecting the owner's attention to detail...beautiful huge hanging baskets of petunias were everywhere. Volleyball, corn hole and shuffleboard are available with lots of childrens toys in one area. I could see where this could be an active place in the middle of summer, but it was a wonderful, quiet retreat for us.

The beach is clean and there are at least a dozen sturdy plastic white lounge chairs on a concrete pad close to the beach. We loved the lone willow growing out of the breakers.
Our older parents and aunt/uncle enjoyed sitting under the portico on the swing and the oldfashioned chairs from the 40's that are painted a cheery yellow.

All in all I would go back in a heartbeat. Therese and her husband have owned this place for 27 years and take great pride in their buildings and grounds. Obviously, we didn't stay in any of the smaller cottages, some quite small, but during our stay at least three other cottages were rented and the guests we spoke to seemed happy.

Room Tip: If you are the lucky one to draw the straw to get the spacious downstairs bedroom..lucky you. Great...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank suechef
Ohio
Reviewed 14 February 2010

My family visited the cottages last summer, and I just made my reservation to go back this summer. My three children love the beach, meeting new friends and the nightly fun around the fire pit. It is a wonderful family environment and the owners are especially kind and welcoming. My favorite thing is the simplicity of the darling cottages. A vacation here takes me back to my childhood and simpler times. Not once during our stay did my children miss the television or video games, and I never heard them complain they were bored. If you are looking for wonderful family memories, I highly recommend Cottages at the Water's Edge.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Beechcottagegirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vermilion
South Beach Resort Hotel
Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Cottages at the Water's Edge? Share your experiences!