“Clean and nice, but horrible breakfast and service is just ok.”

Holiday Inn Express Wauseon
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wauseon
Trondheim, Norway
“Clean and nice, but horrible breakfast and service is just ok.”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Always stay at this hotel just because it is very convenient when visiting someone close by. Close to this exact location, this is the best choice.

The hotel is clean and the service is ok. The only issue is the breakfast, it is as processed and crappy as it gets. Atmosphere is just ok as well.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mostad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Covington, KY
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I came up to Fulton County to do some genealogy research. Shelly was on the desk when I checked in, which went quickly & efficiently. I asked her for help finding a map that showed local cemeteries. She found one map that, while it didn't show them, at least was helpful for my research. When I got to my room, which was extremely clean and modern, the phone was ringing. Shelly found another map that had what I needed. She saved me at least a couple hours work mapping out my route the next day. So I was able to sit back in the easy chair in my room and relax my first night. The room met all my expectations for a Holiday Inn Express and more. The decor was very attractive, the bathroom spotless with nice toiletries, and there were many more channels on the TV than you might find elsewhere. The hot breakfast options both mornings were great and the coffee very good (even in the room!). Wireless internet was fast. I'll probably be coming back to the county to follow up on my research and I'll definitely be staying here again. Hope to see you again Shelly!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank CovingtonCat
NORWALK
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The staff makes you feel welcome. They try and show that they appreciate your business. Hotel is very clean. Breakfast menu is typical of the chain. However, they have updated the menu by adding a pancake machine. It is a regular stopover for us when working in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Swem8
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 September 2012

What you expect from a Holiday Inn these days. Very clean nice accomodation with a pool and exercise facilities which we did not use. A little pricey for the surrounding area but very nice in all ways. My wife was pleased with this motel. Just across the road from Smith's restaurant which is really great for breakfast and one of the few independents left. Wauseon is a great place to stop on a big road trip. The local gas stations are typically lower priced than the surrounding area. A fill up here and we were good to cross Indiana and Illinois to the cheaper gas in Iowa. We would go back here for sure.

Room Tip: Any room there is good
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank james K
St. Louis
Reviewed 18 September 2012

This property was better than many of the brand that I have stayed in, it appeared to be pretty new and the upkeep is pretty good. I really don't have any significant complaints, there were no maintenance problems like I usually find and the staff was friendly and professional. I'm guessing that this was the higher of the local choices in price so the value may be off but I didn't look very hard. I will stay here again should the need arise.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WilliamF1776
Chicago
Reviewed 4 September 2012

After checking out the options before heading to town for the Fulton County Fair, this hotel was the clear standout. I called when we were an hour outside of town to see if they might have the room ready (it was around 1pm, check-in is 3pm), and I got a strange "Rooms are not ready" robot-like response from the front desk agent. Fair enough. We'll come back at 3pm. Check-in was quick and easy. The room was pretty musty, but luckily the window opens a bit so when we came back a few hours later it was gone. The best thing about this hotel is the lobby coffee. The coffee itself isn't that great, but they had full pots of it every time we left the hotel and it was hot, which is really all you can ask for. We slept late the next day and when we asked for housekeeping in the afternoon the woman at the front desk said she would take care of it. She called about 15 minutes later to say all the housekeepers were gone for the day, but that they would replace towels, cups, etc. I completely understand that in a hotel this small that you're not going to have housekeepers on call 24/7. However when we got back there were no towels or cups replaced. Called downstairs and they were at our room in five minutes with towels.

I work for a hotel company and stay in hotels many times a year. Please don't mistake this 3 star review as negative. This is a 2.5 star hotel that cost a $100 and change per night, so you can't expect the same level of service as a 4 or 5 star in a major city which would cost triple that. The main reason we chose to stay here was other hotels nearby had complaints about cleanliness. This hotel was very clean and worth the extra money. This is a solid three star hotel, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: When you book they have a cheaper run-of-house room type. However you may get a king or queen bed an...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This was a good, clean place to stay and you can get a good rest. Some of the rooms on the main hall are near the lobby and you may get some noise from staff at the counter, people milling in the lobby or the lobby TV. If those bother you, ask for a room farther down the hall, or bring ear plugs. Management should ask cleaning staff to speak quietly in the hallway recognizing that people who are still in their rooms are probably still trying to sleep. (Staff talking loudly in the hallway is not uncommon among smaller hotels.) Apart from that, it was a perfectly good stop on a long drive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lobby for less noise from people and TV in the lobby.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MNtravel01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wauseon
Best Western Wauseon
Napoleon Inn & Suites
Napoleon Inn & Suites
#1 of 4 in Napoleon
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Toledo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Wauseon? Share your experiences!