“So So first impression but ...”

Vieng's Asian Bistro
Ranked #13 of 109 Restaurants in Westlake
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Not welcoming at first glance. The hostesses were confused and highly disorganized despite not being busy at all. The combat boots worn with leggins was not a good look for this otherwise good restaurant. Despite telling the hostess that we will have a drink at the bar while she had a booth cleaned, we were forgotten at the bar. And, BTW, that was not so bad after all.
Service at the bar changed my initial perception as did the food. Everything from the soup to the salad, the lo mein, sushi, tataki, sashimi and rolls was spot on. Table maintenance (in this case bar) was a bit slow but we were not cramped. The friendly bar service negated any negatives about the otherwise slow service. The bar itself was nicely stocked with nice top shelf selections.
The restaurant's location on a corner at Crocker Park is nice for an after dinner stroll or for an nice ice cream at the Chocolate Factory up just a little way!

1  Thank DannyB1

Reviewed 26 May 2013

I went to the men's room and it was in bad shape, my daughter said both toilets she tried were clogged. I have been there several times and it keeps going down hill.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband and I are at this restaurant at least once a week. The food ,drinks,and service are exceptional! We have taken family, friends, and out of town guests, all were very satisfied.i have never had anything that I didn't love, my husband loves the sushi. The staff is great, we especially love Covi. He always makes our visit enjoyable.

1  Thank Pam R
Reviewed 27 April 2013

My wife and I along with our daughter and her fiance stopped here for lunch over Easter weekend. Unfortunately it got off to a bad start when we found our water glasses and silverware were dirty (One glass had lip prints on it). New silverware and glasses were not much better and we thoroughly wiped them down with our napkins. This should have been a big clue to exit, but we stuck it out.
The food we ordered ranged from ok to good (the sushi was quite good), but overall we decided that the experience was just ok, and it is kind of expensive for what you got. We all agreed that this would not be a place we would return to. It is a shame, because the decor is really nice and the place has a good feel. Perhaps new management is in order.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

Vieng's is welcoming and lovely to look at. The decor is stylish and serene. The menu, however, is immense and, despite being helpfully grouped into cuisines and categories (starters, entrees), it is overwhelming. I dined there on two occasions, and each could not have been more different. On one, the service was attentive, helpful, prompt, and friendly. On the second, it was friendly but almost absent throughout our meal. The first visit's entrees were flavorful and served steaming hot; the second, bland and just warm. It is interesting to note that on both occasions, I dined at the same time and the restaurant was not busy. Vieng's does take reservations, and they do have a nice bar area. They are adequately staffed at sushi, bar, and dining room areas. It is hit or miss, it would seem, as far as food and service. They also service carryout orders.