“Feeling the Love”

Sonesta ES Suites Cleveland Westlake
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Westlake
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was a really wonderful hotel. The staff was friendly & helpful. The room was clean & cozy...had a wonderful gas fireplace. They had complimentary hot chocolate & hot soup!! So welcoming. The complimentary breakfast the next morning was fabulous. Mary at the front desk really took care of us. I would highly recommend this hotel!!!
Mary Ellen

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MARYELLEN1424

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The amenities are great. You've got a hot chocolate bar, good breakfast offerings, and even soup available at all times. But what good are amenities if the basics are not covered?

Here is a list of the things that SUCKED about my stay at the Residence Inn in Westlake:

1. I slipped in the tub. And I'm 30. I can't imagine what would happen if I were an elderly person in that sort of tub. There's no grip.

2. The way the bathrooms are set up is that you have a separate toilet/shower area and then a sink area. Which is great in theory, but awful when you realize how SMALL the toilet/shower area is - and how the only light to turn on in that tiny room is a LOUD heat fan that you don't really want to use if you get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and you're with other people who are sleeping.

3. Meanwhile, the only light for the sink/mirror area is BRIGHT and there's no wall, so it shines right onto the beds. Again, this wakes people up. In my case, it woke me up at 6 a.m. by someone. This was the worst thought out design plan for a hotel room, EVER.

4. Did I mention how thin the walls are? Hi, I can hear you coughing. You just have to pray no couples decide to get busy.

5. One bad apple ruins the barrel, and I had the rudest clerk at the desk. She was so snippy. She was probably about 55, gray-ish hair, older and kind of faking "sweetness" while giving off negative energy. (I will say that the food staff woman I saw was always really nice.)

6. Here's the biggest thing: NO WIFI. And I'm not the only one, there were people in the lobby complaining of the same thing. It would connect, but no web sites would load. At no time. Not at noon, not at midnight. Believe me, I tried. I couldn't do work! I can't believe any hotel in this day and age wouldn't offer free wifi. And the fact they wouldn't do anything about it really grills my grits! they should have made some action to show that they were sorry (like a $10 gift card to Starbucks - it could have been almost nothing and I'd have felt like they CARED), because it was the hugest inconvenience of my stay.

7. The electric fireplace was really LOUD. Not peaceful. (And they don't have to be loud, I just googled "stop electric fireplace being loud" and saw it's all about tightening screws.)

8. The TV only tilted so one bed could see it, the other bed could hardly see it well. And when we tried to turn it, the TV came unplugged and it was a nightmare. This stuff should be set up to work, and work well.

So far, The Hampton Inn is still my favorite hotel pick for the Cleveland area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed at this Residence Inn for one night, but wish it could have been more! Driving up to the lobby entrance was the first hint that this would be something special. The grounds were nicely decorated, everything looked clean and well cared for, and it just felt welcoming. Once inside, we were treated to friendly greetings from several staff members who delightfully offered snacks, drinks, sweets...even a water bottle with my name printed on it! The room itself was very nice. Clean, spacious, everything we wanted. Breakfast the next morning was fine, made better by the friendliness of the staff. It is clear that this hotel goes above and beyond the typical Marriott standard, making customer care a priority. Much appreciated, and I'll definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Penthouse has two king bedrooms each with a full bath, but one is loft-style and open to the area be...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kyltigojo
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I recently stayed at this Residence Inn for four nights during a business trip. The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable. My only wish was that the bathroom was a little bit larger. Even though my room faced the highway, it was quiet -- could not hear the traffic noise. The service was great, and the staff very helpful and courteous. Plus, the breakfasts were really good with hot and cold food choices. And Emmett, an employee in charge of breakfast, was wonderful and so personable. I will definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank swellmozell
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed at this Residence Inn for three nights. We're a family of four with 5 and 2 year olds. We have stayed at Homewood Inn in Beachwood quite a few times, and were expecting something of that caliber. Unfortunately, Residence Inn did not meet our expectations.
The positives: very friendly staff. Nice reception and good service. When we needed to use the fold-out bed, we promptly got some extra blankets and sheets. Nice soup at reception. Good selection of snacks to purchase. Nice amount of space in the room. Great location near Crocker Park.
The negatives: very dated property. Outside needs work and feels dingy. Would much prefer a traditional hotel style. Inside of rooms were clean but dim and faded. 80s style decor. Cabinets were all banged-up. Beds were not very comfortable. Bathrooms were small. In general, it's not what I would expect for the price or the Marriott Brand.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had stayed at this Residence Inn (Westlake) several times before but it was a few years ago. I would have thought by now there would be some wear and tear both in the rooms and on the grounds but instead we found it to be in superior condition. They obviously had taken good care of this Residence Inn. Our room was spotlessly clean; the carpet looked brand new, the furniture was in excellent shape, the bathroom clean and in good condition, and the beds very comfortable. What’s nice about the Residence Inn chain is they have two queen beds (versus double beds) and a full-size kitchen, not a mini fridge and small sink. When we checked in, the clerk at the front desk was very friendly as was the staff serving the free breakfast. The breakfast was wonderful (and kept full at all times) and had a great variety. It varied slightly each day but basically you had scrambled eggs, sausage, bagels, toast, different cereal choices, various juices, and the best part – waffles that you make yourself. There also was ample seating in the breakfast area and it, like everything else, was spotlessly clean. There is a very nice pool and Jacuzzi but since it was late October, the pool was closed. This is one of the nicest hotels that we have stayed at and I can honestly say everything was perfect. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My 86 year old mother had an all day appointment at the Cleveland Clinic. The hotel at the hospital is more than $250/night. Seemed like too much to just "sleep." However we needed a somewhere on our way back to Detroit. Perfect location for that! Easy on/off I-90 on the way to the turnpike. Staff was very helpful. Our first floor room was perfect...if staying long term and mobility was not an issue would opt for 2nd floor as I could hear walking/running above us. The units were clean and well maintained. The grounds were nicely landscaped and if in season there is a nice pool. Did not look at the work out area. A Variety of Snacks in lobby for sale. The lobby was comfy and had plenty of tables for breakfast and we even were there on an evening that offered a light supper. Certainly not gourmet but a hamburger, oven roasted potatoes, salad and warm cookies plus beer or wine...were easier than getting into the car for dinner. Many better options close by in a huge mall. Shuttle to airport available. VERY friendly staff!!!

Room Tip: Easy on/off I-90.